• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

rocketman

Beach Comber
Jun 28, 2008
Neighbors to the East

Again,
One has to pose the question, how do our neighbors to the East (Bay and Washington Counties) build bridges without tolls, etc.? What comes to mind is the West Bay structure and the current Holmes Creek bridge (Vernon) in Washington county. Perhaps, I am uninformed because of my ignorance of infrastructure finance. There are those of us who live in the north end of the county and rarely go south any more who have difficulty with paying a sales tax (my Red Bay Grocery once a week lunch bill would go up) to finance a structure of this magnitude. Is there not some equitable tax to let the tourist/users pay the majority of the cost of using the bridge? One would reconcile that there should be some middle ground user/toll cost for the hard working class folks who traverse from all points north to work in sowal.

Rock on,
Rocketman

happydays32

Beach Comber
Jul 21, 2010
ok it's simple obama math. the local economy is improving so let us impose a 2-to-3 dollar bridge toll or a increase in our local sales tax. two job killing proposals. anyone on this bridge committee who supports either proposal should either be terminated from their position or we should work together to defeat them at the polls if they are an elected official. now that's a simple math formula we can all understand here in God's Great Darlington Community.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Awesome point was made by someone in another thread....worth repeating here also.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by miznotebook
Also keep in mind that the bridge has to be shut down when there are sustained winds of 45 miles per hour or higher.

Gwen Break

Beach Fanatic
Aug 2, 2011
South Walton, near the bay
331 Task Force to meet Jan. 19, 2012

[h=3]The Highway 331 Blue Ribbon Task Force will hold a public meeting on Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 1 p.m. at the Walton County Courthouse, 571 US Highway 90 in DeFuniak Springs, FL.[/h]

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Awesome point was made by someone in another thread....worth repeating here also.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by miznotebook
Also keep in mind that the bridge has to be shut down when there are sustained winds of 45 miles per hour or higher.

Great point but it doesn't take into consideration that that applies to only the present bridge not necessarily the new one to be build which might be constructed to allow a stronger wind tolerance.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Great point but it doesn't take into consideration that that applies to only the present bridge not necessarily the new one to be build which might be constructed to allow a stronger wind tolerance.

Most bridges in the State of Florida are closed by Florida State Troopers when sustained winds are 40 mph.

rocketman

Beach Comber
Jun 28, 2008
Snow and Ice

Don't laugh, but I remember the current bridge being closed in December, 2004 due to ice and snow. My vehicle was the last one over the structure before the closure.....Imagine that!!!! It happens...
And then there are hurricanes....

Rock on,
Rocketman

buster

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2006
SoWal
I'm sure all that work and expansion of the Hathaway Bridge in Panama cost quite a bit and i see no toll or tax.

I think removal of the causeway and 2 new bridges over the bay is more important to SoWal than a new airport, at least until they build the expressway from WaterSound over the Intracoastal. Something tells me they won't be asking for money for that project, which will cost a lot more in total.

So there you have it, 4-laning 331 is a money maker because it is a "must-do". We are being reamed people, don't doubt it for a second.

I remember raising money and all kind of hell just to get a stoplight on 98 and 395. The world is upside down.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Let me understand this. One bridge might have a higher wind closing threshold than the other. If that were true then we would be right back where we are a two lane bridge.

What's the point ?

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
The point is that 2 bridges allow twice as many people to evacuate - maybe more.