• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jamnolfin

Beach Lover
Mar 6, 2007
Sheetrock:
If finished and awaiting paint then it should be smooth no signs of the tape no bubbles or holes in the mud. Speaking of mud it shouldn't be all over the floor. It seems that if your slopping mud all over the floor your flying thru a job and not paying attention. I'm not saying accidents don't happen, but if this is consistently thru out the house you might just have a novice or apprentice. You're also paying for that waste.

This is ridiculous. I want to see you roll mud on ceilings and stamp it out and not drop that thick mud all over the floor. You dont have a damn clue so quit acting like you do.

Sheetrock:
If finished and awaiting paint then it should be smooth no signs of the tape no bubbles or holes in the mud. Speaking of mud it shouldn't be all over the floor. It seems that if your slopping mud all over the floor your flying thru a job and not paying attention. I'm not saying accidents don't happen, but if this is consistently thru out the house you might just have a novice or apprentice. You're also paying for that waste.

This is ridiculous. I want to see you roll mud on ceilings and stamp it out and not drop that thick mud all over the floor. You dont have a damn clue so quit acting like you do.

That was quite rough... SWGB may not have ever run a Bazooka, Banjo or 10" box but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a damn clue.

I do know that I'd rather see my guys running 12 foot lids with stilts, boxing their flats and busting their buttjoints than picking up contaminated mud off the floor. But that's just me. I'm still learning.

woodworker

Beach Lover
Jan 26, 2008
SRB
SWBG,

Excellent post and great information.

After working with builders on two different custom homes, the key to the process is communication. When you meet with builders, determine if he/she is a good listener and communicator. "I thought you said brown moulding"...

Another good technical question to ask a prospective builder is how do you flash windows? Here in Atlanta, not many builders do this correctly.

BTW, do any builders in SoWal use framing crews that still hand hammer nails or has the entire free world gone to nail guns?

I've heard the argument that gun nails are better because they don't split the wood like hand driven nails - maybe the speed they go in along with the coating? Sounds feasible. Don't know. Could also be a smaller diameter?

The problem with nailguns (users) is that the shot doesn't always pull the framing members together and the wall is raised all loose. I usually walk the tops of the walls with a small sledge and knock it all tight before sheeting to cure this. A tight box stays together better during wind force in my opinion.

[/b]I've heard the argument that gun nails are better because they don't split the wood like hand driven nails - maybe the speed they go in along with the coating? Sounds feasible. Don't know. Could also be a smaller diameter?

The problem with nailguns (users) is that the shot doesn't always pull the framing members together and the wall is raised all loose. I usually walk the tops of the walls with a small sledge and knock it all tight before sheeting to cure this. A tight box stays together better during wind force in my opinion.

I was following you until you got to sheeting. I don't know that term yet. What's sheeting and why do you use it?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Sheetrock:

I'm sorry you're having a bad day, but perhaps you should go back and read my original statement. I was referring to the initial installation of sheetrock, not a finish texture. In addition I have rolled mud in the past and we always used a drop cloth for any dripping. We also were not in such a rush to finish that we overloaded the roller.

traderx

Beach Fanatic
Mar 25, 2008
Sheeting? Sheating? Did I misspell it?

I mean the plywood on the walls. Yankee term, I guess. ( I'm an ex-yankee)

Sheathing?

I thought the entire world had gone to OSB. Is plywood typically used in SoWal?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Sheathing?

I thought the entire world had gone to OSB. Is plywood typically used in SoWal?

I can't think of a house I've seen in recent years that has been anything other than OSB. I would think you would be adding a huge cost to the overall construction for little gain.

I'm sorry you're having a bad day, but perhaps you should go back and read my original statement. I was referring to the initial installation of sheetrock, not a finish texture. In addition I have rolled mud in the past and we always used a drop cloth for any dripping. We also were not in such a rush to finish that we overloaded the roller.

You're a cool dude, but you might want to quit while you're ahead on this one. I swear it's true that there are some things you might not really get about running finish until you've taped and slick finished 20 or more homes. It's one of those trades that you can do o.k. if you're a good study, but you'll not excel till you've performed the work daily for a while.

Finishers use stilts on a regular basis, and if you've worked lids off stilts you just know that drop cloths really are out of the question. There's nothing wrong with banjo's or bazooka's, but they will make some mess. Pro's know why you should use those kind of tools and accept the fact that they'll lose some mud. Hand running a bucket of mud will take you about 10 times as long as running it out of tapers and flat boxes and at $12 a bucket it makes no sense to waste the time being neat and clean. You really can't reclaim mud once it takes on contaminants so taking your time and working spotless really doesn't make much fiscal sense.

It's all true chief. I'm not trying to be a jerk.