• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
:banned: Here is what one North Carolina beach town has decided to do:

Ocean Isle Beach is one town with a new law this summer: no cabanas or tents on the beach.
The Ocean Isle Beach Board of Commissioners in September banned all canopies, cabanas and tents from the beach. Umbrellas are still permitted, and all personal items have to be off the beach at night.
Ocean Isle Beach Mayor Debbie Smith said the board of commissioners decided on the ban after cabanas were consistently left on the strand.
Smith said she has received positive and negative feedback so far about the ban.
"It's certainly not our intent to be unfriendly to our visitors at all," she said. "The intent was to protect what they're coming here to enjoy."

I think that's a very progressive and admirable approach to protecting their natural resources. if people must erect a cabana to claim their spot on the beach then they will have to find another beach. then more room will be left for folks who appreciate the beauty of a cabana-free beach environment.

I mean really. must we keep getting bigger and more stuff, and then put it on a beach?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
wonder if tents are banned from any fla beaches yet? I have seen the effects of storms during the day or night and how they become mangled masses of litter in the water and dunes, etc.
Toots, I heard or read on or in the news a couple of weeks ago about a place banning tents from the beach. I cannot recall if it was a local resort or community, and I don't recall where it was. I am almost thinking I read it in the Seaside Times. :dunno: I'll have to find a copy and see.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Without our angst, this place would look like PCB and Destin by next week. Since some people are starting to get the message, I think our "angst" is working. I don' think our goal of beautiful peaceful beaches is unreasonable.

Spend an early morning here pulling tents, chairs, and umbrellas out of the lake, pick up an entire large garbage bag of trash every time you go to the beach or try to take a walk on the beach at night without tripping over all this crap, and get back to us about your angst.

jdarg, The reason we don't look like PCB and Destin is simply because we are not them. The best thing that ever happened to Walton County was the 4 story building limitation.

But large "upland developments" with supposed "private" beach access threaten this limitation in regards to increasing the resulting beach usage density. And we, at Blue Mountain Beach, see this negative effect already.

I fully agree with your statement, "I don' think our goal of beautiful peaceful beaches is unreasonable."

Just please keep in mind that the end doesn't necessarily justify the means that are exhibited by some here.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
jdarg, The reason we don't look like PCB and Destin is simply because we are not them. The best thing that ever happened to Walton County was the 4 story building limitation.

But large "upland developments" with supposed "private" beach access threaten this limitation in regards to increasing the resulting beach usage density. And we, at Blue Mountain Beach, see this negative effect already.

I fully agree with your statement, "I don' think our goal of beautiful peaceful beaches is unreasonable."

Just please keep in mind that the end doesn't necessarily justify the means that are exhibited by some here

Desperate times are calling for desperate measures, I guess!:lol:

And these are desperate times in terms of items left on the beach overnight, and should be a concern no matter which side of the beach property rights fence you are sitting on. ;-)

jamster

Beach Comber
Jul 12, 2005
I have been following this thread for a while and feel I must comment to the people saying a canopy does not provide the best sun protection. Have you not seen the latest information about sunscreens? As a medical professional, a doctor of climatology, an environmental scientist, and beach goer using a canopy, I can unequivically state that a solid canopy is the best protection against the sun.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I have been following this thread for a while and feel I must comment to the people saying a canopy does not provide the best sun protection. Have you not seen the latest information about sunscreens? As a medical professional, a doctor of climatology, an environmental scientist, and beach goer using a canopy, I can unequivically state that a solid canopy is the best protection against the sun.

and when did you get your Doctor's License in Dermatology? You can get sunburned sitting under a canopy at the beach. Sunlight reflects off of the water and the white sand. The best protection against the sun is avoidance and shelter. Canvas material may block some sun, but not all UV rays. Umbrellas don't do it either. Shelter, clothing and sunblock used in combination work fairly well, but anyone alone, will not fully protect you while on the beach.

Again, the point is mute because you don't get sunburned from the moonlight. The gov't didn't ban use of tents in the day time. Also, the tents I see are usually unoccupied for most of the day, and tent users are using them primarily for marking territory and storing crap and coolers.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider

I agree wth you on all of this.

Just please keep in mind that the end doesn't necessarily justify the means that are exhibited by some here.

What means? This is where you lose me. I just read through the entire thread and can't imagine what "means" you are talking about. Showing passion about why visitors and locals alike should follow the law as written offends your sensibility? This is not seawalls, beach ownership, or even trucks on the beach we are talking about. The law is clear and the policy should be enforced. The fact that it appears to now be enforced is a welcome development for the vast majority. Visitors, owners or locals who whine about it are going to be rebutted.

Thanks for the input. But just to be clear, while some people don't like looking at the canopies during the day, no one is saying people don't have the right to put them up. During the day.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
Without our angst, this place would look like PCB and Destin by next week. Since some people are starting to get the message, I think our "angst" is working. I don' think our goal of beautiful peaceful beaches is unreasonable.

Spend an early morning here pulling tents, chairs, and umbrellas out of the lake, pick up an entire large garbage bag of trash every time you go to the beach or try to take a walk on the beach at night without tripping over all this crap, and get back to us about your angst.

Actually I stated earlier in this discussion that I was all for Remove it or Lose it. Never did I say I was not.

I have been coming to this area for 35 years, so I know what it means to care about the area. Being a property owner does not make one the only ones who care.

Your goal of beautiful peaceful beaches is not unreasonable at all and I totally support the effort.

My comment simply meant that sometimes the message is received better by not forcing it on someone but simply state it kindly and move on.

We are in total agreement about the situation, I guess just not in agreement about how to express it and my comment was more about the discussing of it and not about the policy itself.

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Desperate times are calling for desperate measures, I guess!:lol:

And these are desperate times in terms of items left on the beach overnight, and should be a concern no matter which side of the beach property rights fence you are sitting on. ;-)

we do seem to get desperate every year about this time, don't we all? its just that every single July, we are shocked all over again at the hordes of people flocking into town - mostly to enjoy SoWal Beaches. the crowds do seem to get bigger each year (and even during the rest of the year). awareness of our environment also grows as we live here and learn how precious it is and how to protect it. our population is still pretty small, but so much bigger than just 10 years ago. we are populated with rather educated people from all over the southeast and beyond.. mostly folks who have decided that this is where they want to raise their families, build their careers, retire, etc. many of our friends live in other states, but they feel ownership of SoWal just as much as we do as they frequently visit and participate in the community.

It is not all about the beach around here, btw. the citizens in Sowal care very much about the community, each finds a way to actively make a difference depending upon their passions, and they will all play a part in shaping this community, including how to best protect our parks, beaches, bay and bayous, and all natural resources. and its a good thing.:D

Last edited: