• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Boycotts, or the threat of, can work very well. The Subway over at the Preserve at Grayton, is one example. I rarely see more than three cars there, and I am sure that at least one car must be an employee's. Unless things change, I doubt they will renew their lease.

Someone on the Starbuck's sign thread mentioned Starbuck's Mgt style, and I completely agree. I have done some research into Starbuck's over the last few years, and I do not know of a "fast food" place which treats its employees as well as Starbuck's. Forget fast food places -- I don't know any major businesses which treats its employees as well as they appear to do. This is far from saying that Starbuck's isn't playing heavily on trend setting, addiction, social pressures (keeping up with the Jones), etc.

While I don't wish to see all of the franchises roll into the area,
I do understand the public's desire to frequent franchises with which they are familiar. At franchises, there isn't much guessing involved with menu selection and type and quality of service which one will receive when they stop in to eat. As many of you know, small towns across this country may be hit or miss when it comes to mom and pop restaurants. SoWal is no different. Heck, we even have a forum on SoWal.com for recommendations on where to eat to take that hit or miss guesswork out of the picture, but what about those who haven't looked on SoWal.com or don't want to put forth the effort. "Just get me to McDonalds so I can get my kid his fix of fat, sugar, salt and caffeine."

If you want to see local businesses survive, forget about the franchises and stick to the local places when you go to pull your $$$ out of your pocket. Take the time and do a little homework. Sometimes shopping locally is exponentially beneficial to our area, such as the case when you buy your cup of coffee at Cerulean's in WaterColor, where they serve coffee which is brewed with locally roasted beans. ;-)

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood
Honey, you won't. They four-laned the bridge at Exit 51. Uptown!

No. Are you kidding?!? I haven't been since '04.
Between the apartment complexes and the chains...good god.:eek:

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
KATHY- that is LOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nono1:

Oh, I was just kidding. Sorry. Just a little rilvalry humor. I will take my licks and go away. :blush:

Babyblue

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2006
Seagrove Beach
I agree- I do NOT want to see chains all up and down 30A. It ruins the whole thing! :eek:

I'm an Auburn alum and Auburn was always a quaint town, but now when I drive through, I am so sad to see all the big chains all over- not to mention the cosmetic surgery center!

I love 30A and really hope it doesn't get filled up with this stuff- that Subway really irritates me too! :pissed:

PS- we love Houston's too! :)

I am a Alabama Alum and live here. If you did you would find out how expensive it is to get a fast meal. Do you want the Supper Club here? I think not. But it is ok to go Houston's?????:eek:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
^5...Houston's is not what I consider "cheap eats".

Babyblue

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2006
Seagrove Beach
Boycotts, or the threat of, can work very well. The Subway over at the Preserve at Grayton, is one example. I rarely see more than three cars there, and I am sure that at least one car must be an employee's. Unless things change, I doubt they will renew their lease.

Someone on the Starbuck's sign thread mentioned Starbuck's Mgt style, and I completely agree. I have done some research into Starbuck's over the last few years, and I do not know of a "fast food" place which treats its employees as well as Starbuck's. Forget fast food places -- I don't know any major businesses which treats its employees as well as they appear to do. This is far from saying that Starbuck's isn't playing heavily on trend setting, addiction, social pressures (keeping up with the Jones), etc.

While I don't wish to see all of the franchises roll into the area,
I do understand the public's desire to frequent franchises with which they are familiar. At franchises, there isn't much guessing involved with menu selection and type and quality of service which one will receive when they stop in to eat. As many of you know, small towns across this country may be hit or miss when it comes to mom and pop restaurants. SoWal is no different. Heck, we even have a forum on SoWal.com for recommendations on where to eat to take that hit or miss guesswork out of the picture, but what about those who haven't looked on SoWal.com or don't want to put forth the effort. "Just get me to McDonalds so I can get my kid his fix of fat, sugar, salt and caffeine."

If you want to see local businesses survive, forget about the franchises and stick to the local places when you go to pull your $$$ out of your pocket. Take the time and do a little homework. Sometimes shopping locally is exponentially beneficial to our area, such as the case when you buy your cup of coffee at Cerulean's in WaterColor, where they serve coffee which is brewed with locally roasted beans. ;-)

Why do all the locals sell their land to developers? What locals are left? :dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Why do all the locals sell their land to developers? What locals are left? :dunno:
because they laugh all the way to the bank, but primarily because someone started it, and then as more people came, the locals grew tired of people, and decided to sell out and go some place where they can hear the wind blow. :dunno: -- though some are still around and will never leave.