Cheap Eats on 30A

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by Paula, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

You should try the full breakfast plates for under $3.50. Don't try the pancakes though.

2. DBOldford

DBOldford Beach Fanatic

SJ, I have had that breakfast platter and yes, the pancakes there had a sour milk taste when we had them. We figured the milk had soured, but there might be something more enduring going on in the pantry. Bad pancake batter can give a soul powerful stomach gases... :banned: The worst we ever had was a "batter-gone-sour" batch up at the El Tovar Lodge, on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. I will not tell the story of sophomore humor husband's ode to the Canyon on that trip.

3. SHELLY

SHELLY SoWal Insider

Not if the customer is swinging a Prada bag! :rolling:

4. GVM

GVM Beach Lover

why??? When there is such an obvious need of kick back places?

At least 5 reasons: November, December, January, February and March

5. tylerT

tylerT Beach Lover

wow, all these great inexpensive places to eat. mmmmmmm. can't wait to try them. thanks everyone for the info!! :clap_1:

6. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    We dropped by Pandora's one night and looked at the menu. Didn't look cheap to us, so we left and went to the old Shades. To me, cheap at SoWal is a meal in which the entree is under $10 per person, like a burger or a mahi-mahi sandwich with fries like at the old Shades. I wonder if you can get those sandwiches at Shades on the Loop for under $10.

7. beach lover

beach lover Beach Lover

Shades at the Loop is awful!! I have given that place many tries, no more. I've spoken with the owner, but still poor service, cold food, been insulted by wait staff( been told many are on drugs).I'm a person who RARELY says anything. I really wanted it to be a good place to go as I live here and want to support our businesses. The design is nice with outdoor space, TV's and many beer choices on tap,but enough is enough.

8. Beach Runner

Boo! How disappointing! I still want to try it for myself, though, before I give up on it.

9. SHELLY

SHELLY SoWal Insider

Doesn't surprise me in the least...staffing is going to be a major concern going into the summer season.

10. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

For now, I'll stand by my apprecation of Shades by the Loop. There's a guy who acts as "host" there and I think he's excellent. I agree that the service is uneven and some of the service staff are not as welcoming as one would hope (basic service). I've never had a bad meal there, and we went there as 4 adults and 3 children in early January and all of us enjoyed our meal very much.

We joked, however, about how the waiters take your order and then slide the little pad into the back of their pants and walk around with these little pads sticking up out of their pants. I've seen that done in other restaurants, too. I wish waiters would use those little aprons with front pocket. I don't want my receipt coming out of the back of their pants. The service was considerably slower when we went as a group as well.

That said, I'm happy with the quality of the food and the prices.

11. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

I know where a cheap eat will be July 8-15! It will be at Seagrove Villas and Motel. The group of us that vacation together every summer, plan our meals for potlucks everynight. Well, except for one night when we all go out to eat. We all just cook something, each night and have a big potluck outside. Some of us grill fish, chicken, burgers, steaks, etc,. We all plan a side dish. We have one of the guy's with us, play cabana boy and he is usually whipping us up something good to drink. It is alot of fun. SO, mark your calendar and come join us for dinner!!!!

12. dbuck

dbuck Beach Fanatic

I have to agree, that does sound like alot of FUNN. :D

13. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

KD, did you know that Al Flowers (proprietor of the Seagrove Villas) passed away a couple of weeks ago?

He will be missed. Another local legend gone. :sosad:

14. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

No! I did not know this. Thank you for letting me know. How sad.:sosad:

15. Lois

Lois Beach Lover

I don't think anyone has mentioned Blue Orleans over in Blue Mountain Beach. They have $8.95 blue plate lunch specials. Their dinners can be pricey ($22 for two crawfish cakes, but to die for!). They also do breakfast (from 7:00 - 2:00!), which includes beignets, french toast, BLTs, omelets, and build your own breakfast sandwiches.

The owners are VERY friendly and they have live-music Thursdays and through the weekend.

16. Franny

Franny Beach Fanatic

Actually Harbor Docks is on 30-A and called The Fish House. Heard good and bad things. Plan to go back to see for ourselves. The old Shades is being replaced by Fish something from Pensacola. We ate there Sunday and it was great..Bloody Mary was $2, probably be $8 when they come to Seaside! :eek:

17. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

Not to knock Shades at the Loop, I eat there quite a bit, but it's only cheap by 30A standards. I had a grouper sandwich and a beer for dinner there night before last and it was $18 before tip.

Nobody's mentioned Spicy Noodle. Not on 30A but close...

18. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

Like many places, it may be more expensive at night than during the day. And I'll usually drink water or a coke/pepsi during the day which is less expensive than beer. So, my lunch probably costs me about $12.00, tip included. With a family of 4, though, that wouldn't be cheap for sure. I don't know if they have kids meals.

19. Beach Runner

You've got that right! What I consider cheap on 30-A is not what I consider cheap at home.

Cheap at home is like two $1.95 tacos at Taqueria Del Sol in Atlanta or a taco and turnip greens. If you drink water, you can have a gourmet meal for about $4 plus tax and tip. I adore that restaurant. Two weeks ago I had a pork taco with guacamole salsa with turnip greens for about $3.50 plus tax and tip, and it was the best thing I've eaten in a restaurant in a few months. Actually I enjoyed it more than Bacchanalia that same week which cost us over $500 for 4 people (included a modest bottle of wine and 4 cocktails). That's insane. Not doing that again, but it was a 21st birthday celebration. :)

20. southof30A

southof30A Beach Lover

Spunky Noodle has always been a consistent favorite of ours. Located less than 1/2 mile from the eastern end of 30A, they pull a full Italian menu. A great place to call ahead and order takeout, although they get pretty busy during peak hours.