• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Thanks for all the good information. Too bad about D&Ks. I like it there. Nice view, very good food. I guess I'll go to D&Ks and Seagrove market next trip and take some photos so we remember them.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Smiling JOe said:
That should be interesting.

Another one bites the dust. IMO, they always had the best Mahi sandwich on the coast. HUGE, messy and good. If they are going the fine dining route, they will have to enclose the open-air deck (which would be a tragedy in and of itself). Can't do the white tablecloth thing with 40 MPH winds whipping through there.

Someone above mentione the new Shades. Where exactly is it located?

I have always said Harbor Docks needs to open a location on 30-A. While Shades comes *somewhat* close to what Harbor Docks serves, it's no where near as extensive a menu.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
tylerT said:
D&K's is closing - going to find dining. Got the scoop from an employee.

:dunno: why??? When there is such an obvious need of kick back places? I would probably eat out more at the beach if I could go straight from the beach. With kids, we don't want to eat at 9 pm. But if we stay at the beach until the evening, then everyone showers and cleans up, it's late. Won't sacrifice my beach time to look nice enough for "fine dining". Those days will come when the kids are out of the house!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
:eek: NO NO NO!!! I can't take much more!

tylerT

Beach Lover
Nov 22, 2005
I know, shades at seaside is going to fine dining, D&K's, Seagrove Market will be gone with the new development.

who's going to start up an oyster and sandwich place when you have to spend thousands a month on rent or buy property for millions.

better start leaving your flip flops at home.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Hell, when I'm down there, I would rather eat at the house or get takeout anyway. Much less stressful. A trip to Goatfeathers of Shrimpers solves everything. You don't have to rush to come off the beach, shower, and get somewhere just to wait for an hour (or three hours if you are talking Red Bar)

What's the latest on the Bait House at Watercolor? I love the space, but the last time we went, it was subpar - both in service and quality of food.

dbuck

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
KY
I admire all of you that cook at home on your vacation but I cook almost every night of the week (I hate to cook) so when I'm on vacation, I want a vacation away from cooking. Plus, my family thinks they have to eat by 6:00 or they might just die of hunger. The advantage of this is we can make it to the early bird special at Pandoras. :clap_1:

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
The D&K Cafe closing is a rumor that has been going around for at least three years now. The same employee told us two summers ago, but said it was "hush, hush." I did notice they had not replenished their tee-shirt and baseball cap supply this past summer and fall, however. The employee mentioned the impendingn closing again at Christmas. I think they are just anticipating a big increase in rent when the lease comes up and know they won't be able to foot it. This is a real shame, because that is one of the best places to eat in the area and it is one of the few reminders of what "Old Grayton" was like. I will shed tears if it does close. We had my husband's 60th birthday bash there and everyone loved The D&K.

Publix Market does, indeed have excellent take-out, including a fried chicken that is unequalled and a banana pudding that is delish. Another good and reasonably priced place is The Donut Hole, located at the south corner of Highway 98 where it intersects with 30A. Their breakfasts are yummy and they also have a very good bakery for donuts, breads, cakes and pies for pick-up.

The place my husband gets the biggest kick out of is the Corner Cafe in Freeport, located at the intersection where Highway 331 ends at the signal. It is in a shopette with a hairdresser, an oyster house, and a well driller. The well drilling crew comes in at noon for a big lunch of mullet and veggies. The walls are hung with strange paraphanalia, such as plastic laundry baskets from the 1960s (which I had to explain to Yankee husband is the shrimp and crab trap of choice for us local "Fishheads"). Husband ordered a 1/4 lb. of boiled shrimp and received a huge platter that was close to a pound and they were wonderful. The cost was $3.49 for his plate. They also have a very good hamburger. Do not order the coleslaw...I think it is made from swampweeds. :eek:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
JB:

Shades by the Loop is on the corner of 30A and Rosemary Beach. It opens at 11:00 and stays open late at night. It has wireless Internet access and has a sports bar atmosphere (lots of TVs around). I'd rate it as very good food at moderate prices.

I, too, would rather not cook much when on vacation. But I also don't want to spend a lot of money when we go out as a family. However, when I go out by myself or with other adults and no children, I'm very happy to go to the more expensive places on 30A.

I agree that take-out and eating on the porch/at the cottage is the best way to go for a low-effort, good, leisurely, affordable meal (and sometimes with left-overs). One strategy we use is to go out for lunch as a family when the prices are less expensive but get take out and eat at home in the evening.