• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Should we really be surprised when our marketing efforts to attract those 'too sophisticated' to go to Destin or Panama City succeed and we suffer fools who feel entitled enough to leave a bunch of crap on the beach for a week?

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
My wife and I have heard that the district attorney has told the beach patrol that the ordinance prohibiting items left on the beaches overnight will no longer be enforced. That would appear to be true, judging by the canopies, chairs, etc sitting on our part of the beach. This would be another big waste of money since the county was spending a lot to put out the word about the policy of removal, which now seems to be dead.

Comments?

Sounds like a DA with a brain. Especially since you do not know what is private/public so no way of knowing if it is abandoned or not.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Is anyone in a position to get a statement from the county attorney as to why this position is being taken?

It would help us all to get this directly...

Until something is decided about what is private and what is public, what in the world do you expect? Contrary to the wishes of many of the people on this board, Obama has yet to seize private property in this country. Although I imagine if gas keeps going up we will have state owned refineries in the not too distant future.

Plus if the government is going to make the case for public safety, then they are going to have to realize that by issuing stickers to anyone that ask to leave items on the beach, they are in effect, defeating their own argument.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Sounds like a DA with a brain. Especially since you do not know what is private/public so no way of knowing if it is abandoned or not.

Sounds short sighted and spineless from my perspective. Allowing the beach to look like a refuge camp is unacceptable under any circumstances. Allowing it to go to pot via the inertia of inactivity when the only reason people come to Walton County is to enjoy the beach is so milquetoast...let the beachfront people sue until they get it through their skulls that stuff left out on the sand after the sun sets is abandoned. It isn't too complicated. I am sure things like the volleyball net at Edgewater can be grandfathered in.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Sounds short sighted and spineless from my perspective. Allowing the beach to look like a refuge camp is unacceptable under any circumstances. Allowing it to go to pot via the inertia of inactivity when the only reason people come to Walton County is to enjoy the beach is so milquetoast...let the beachfront people sue until they get it through their skulls that stuff left out on the sand after the sun sets is abandoned. It isn't too complicated. I am sure things like the volleyball net at Edgewater can be grandfathered in.

What is so hard with this concept? You can not have a different standard for the beach than you do the rest of the county. If I leave something outside in the woods I own after dark, it is not abandoned. My woods, my land, I can leave stuff out overnight if I want too. The same rules apply for the beach if I own it.

Once the public/private beach ownership question is decided, if someone will ever make that decision, the rest will fall into place.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
What is so hard with this concept? You can not have a different standard for the beach than you do the rest of the county. If I leave something outside in the woods I own after dark, it is not abandoned. My woods, my land, I can leave stuff out overnight if I want too. The same rules apply for the beach if I own it.

Once the public/private beach ownership question is decided, if someone will ever make that decision, the rest will fall into place.

Do you honestly think anyone is so stupid to not be able to get the concept that the beach is just a wee bit different than some random parcel of woods somewhere?

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
What is so hard with this concept? You can not have a different standard for the beach than you do the rest of the county.
Of course you can. I suppose you don't believe in zoning, either?

You need to go back to the history books. It is beyond me how the concept of private property seems to some people to mean anything goes, just because they own it. The concept of private ownership of property, and the right to sell it or bequeath it, is what this country was founded on, as opposed to limiting property ownership to a monarchy and/or the aristocracy.
While you are studying that history also take a look at the concept of the "commons."

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
I have been looking for that clause (wee bit different verbage) on my deed and i cannot locate it. Please refer me to that clause on on your deed so I can make sure I ask my attorney about it.

I sure will be happy when I get this cleared up.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Of course you can. I suppose you don't believe in zoning, either?

You need to go back to the history books. It is beyond me how the concept of private property seems to some people to mean anything goes, just because they own it. The concept of private ownership of property, and the right to sell it or bequeath it, is what this country was founded on, as opposed to limiting property ownership to a monarchy and/or the aristocracy.
While you are studying that history also take a look at the concept of the "commons."

Thank you. WRobert might also read up on the 'radical' agendas of Teddy Roosevelt and Abe Lincoln, two great Republicans who 'got it' regarding the fact that some areas of the country are just too special to limit to a select few property owners.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I have been looking for that clause (wee bit different verbage) on my deed and i cannot locate it. Please refer me to that clause on on your deed so I can make sure I ask my attorney about it.

I sure will be happy when I get this cleared up.

Your deed is obviously defective and your property now ready for Obama to confiscate.