Customary Use and Our 30A Legacy

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Reggie Gaskins, Apr 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FactorFiction

FactorFiction Beach Fanatic

It seems important to remember that who someone is or whether they are a visitor, an inland owner, a beachfront owner, or a restaurant owner really doesn't matter. What matters is the truth and the truth is that roughly 50% of the beaches in Walton County are privately owned. Of those, many cater to tourists and out of state owners. The other roughly 50% is PUBLIC and available to everyone. What is also truth is that this constant targeting of beachfront owners, emphasis on conflict, and general negativity is not helping anyone: Not the beach property owner/entities, not the inland property owners, and certainly not the tourists. I see both sides of this situation, but what I don't understand is why some of the very people who rely most on tourism go to such extremes to scare off the tourists. Makes no sense to me. Before someone says it: NO, I am not suggesting that people lie to tourists. What I am suggesting is that we emphasize where they CAN go to the beach without conflict and that we ALL work together and those things that most of us who live here actually agree on. How sad is it that one issue (albeit an important one) has turned friends into foes, caused constructive advocates for our community to be banned from social media sites, and has literally caused visitors to question whether they are welcomed here? It's time to remember that we got along for years with private ownership of beach parcels and we still agree on MANY, MANY issues confronting our County. Let's more forward instead of running in place over this one issue. Ugh. Rant over.

2. Reggie Gaskins

Reggie Gaskins Beach Lover

OK Walton, since we've had no direct challenge of the facts here, let's move towards a solution. Fact is, if Beachfront Property Owners eventually win, the militant behavior forced upon both sides will ruin 30A. If CU doctrine becomes a thing, my original post describes a different death of 30A.
    The county can't afford:
    -The brand damage of this long fight
    -The legal fees of all of the separate actions they are spawning
    -The cost of purchase of parcel by parcel settlements
    -Any eminent domain costs that might develop
    -The distraction of resources for many years as these suits they've initiated begin to multiply. They've already initiated over 600 actions, and those will grow.

So what to do?
    Wait years for court decision is one option. Or...
    Come together as community leaders with ideas and get back to enjoying 30A beaches. Quietly. Together.
    There is a very large, and yet heavily censored group in the community, on both sides of the issue, who see ways to communicate to the public how to avoid conflict on the beach with maps, rules, and suggested behavior.
    Willing to Jump back in the water Dave? Surf's up!

3. BlueMtnBeachVagrant

BlueMtnBeachVagrant Beach Fanatic

So are you saying Reggie is actually Teresa?

4. L.C. Bane

L.C. Bane Beach Fanatic

Oh. I don't know anything about that.

5. FloridaBeachBum

FloridaBeachBum Beach Fanatic

Facts, not emotional opinion.

2016 February it is clear Walton BCC/TDC inept private beach fortification with off shore sand that did not meet Walton BCC’s own white sand ordinance failed.

2016 February Walton BCC publicly announce veiled reference to customary use of private party as a beach access workshop. The beach fortification failed so all BCC had left is an ancient English doctrine of customary use or eminent domain for public use of private property.

2016 October BCC customary use of private property ordinance adopted by vote, without due process of law.

2017 January BCC reject most of their own Customary Use Committee recommendations. Meeting over many weeks mediated by an attorney hired by Walton BCC. Members selected by the BCC included Mike Huckabee of Blue Mountain Beach, David Bailey of Rosemary Beach, Lisa Boushy of Dune Allen, Beth Clay, Celeste Cobena of Dune Allen, Lisa Evans, Tom McGee (Chair) of Eastern Lake, Tami Mims, Brenda Rees of Eastern Lake, Chuck Schneider and Mike Sturdivant. I didn't see Dave Rauschkolb volunteer his time or make meaningful contribution for this BCC committee. Mike Huckabee and many others did.

2017 April Walton BCC customary use ordinance of private property in force.

2018 March Florida House and Senate legislator super majority, including local Florida Representative Brad Drake, pass customary use due-process legislation, Florida Statute 163.035. CU social media denigrating beachfront private property owners and property rights advocates drastically increase. Including many (intentionally?) false information about quiet title, value of private beach property, and how the Walton economy will collapse without CU.

2018 July Florida FS 163.035 enacted; ensuring Walton BCC includes legal due-process BEFORE enacting a customary use of private property ordinance .

2019 March over 650+ of the 1100+ private property parcel owners intervene to defend their Constitutional property rights against Walton BCC litigation in circuit court (with their own money; unless owners prevail, then Walton tax payers millions).

TDC tourist bed tax revenue since 2015; a year over year INCREASE of about 8% per year. Great, but not a good return on TDC annual $20,000,000 tourist tax payer investment. Tourist money would be better spent buying services and products in Walton - not paying TDC Director $128,000 and multi-millions on marketing.
    2019 year to date from 2018 an 18% INCREASE in tourist tax.

At this rate demand for Walton real estate will collapse and businesses in Seaside will be bankrupt by 2020 [said sarcastically]. This is a supply and demand problem and there is NO evidence the county economy or real estate values, before now or without customary use, will collapse. Fact, even after 2010 Deepwater Horizon rental and real estate demand quickly rebounded. Any other facts, not emotional opinions, to the contrary anyone?

upload_2019-5-5_17-31-44.png

6. Dave Rauschkolb

Dave Rauschkolb Beach Fanatic

44769103_10217858232196361_5342899385913049088_o.jpg 44713552_10217858233076383_1710483799512449024_o.jpg 43612947_10217858234036407_8543646466730622976_o.jpg 44783432_10217858235156435_4792260011352915968_o.jpg 46670116_10218101878367363_3271767539037765632_o.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  7. FloridaBeachBum

FACT. The United States of America IS a nation of Individual Rights protected by the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and rule of law; NOT majority (poll) rule.
    George Will: Majority rule vs. individual rights Published 8:00 p.m. ET April 16, 2014

Wonder who commissioned the biased poll? "authority to ban the public from the dry sand ... that adjoins their property? " It is not the private property owner banning the public from an adjoining property but the public not respecting and violating the property owners right to exclusive enjoyment of their property when not invited.
    I wonder what the poll results would be if the question was;
    Do you believe owners of beachfront private property with legal title to the mean high water line have the Constitutional right all private property owners have to exclusive enjoyment of their property?
    or Do you think it is acceptable to for the public to occupy private beachfront property with legal title to the mean high water line if the property owner does not invite the public and want exclusive enjoyment of their property for themselves that they pay property taxes on?

Polls are for politicians. Not the Constitution.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2019
  8. BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Yes, Florida BeachBum, it is a very sad state of affairs when one THINKS that a poll should trump private property rights or any other individual rights for that matter that are protected by the U.S. Constituition, i.e. protection of minorities from the “masses”.

Dave boy is a better restauranteer than he is a constituitional scholar and makes and markets one hell of a mai-tai to the “masses”.

9. BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Dave Rauschkolb,

Since Daniel doesn’t post on SoWal, why haven’t you commented on one my previous post regarding him since he’s your friend, confidant and the two of you are in the same non-profit group suing private BFOs to take away private property rights? See below:

....How can there be respect when Daniel Uhlfelder stands in front of a townhall county meeting regarding customary use on July 18, 2018 and tell the world that his Jewish grandparents immigrated to America from Europe “because of oppression like this”....in effect pulling out the Nazi card accusing beach front owners as such. His actions show total disrespect for the Holocaust victims. Yeah, respect.

10. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Just going to throw this out there. I know there are 2 sides to the issue. Personally I don't see this as being productive, all though I do see it as divisive to the community. That said, the courts will decide what is what and yes it will cost a lot of folks money, including every taxpayer. The horse is clearly been beaten, neither side is blinking and both sides are headed for a collision with each other. I would love to know if the arguements here or on any other social media site has changed 1 persons mind as it relates to customary use?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Reggie Gaskins

Reggie Gaskins Beach Lover

Bob, Great perspective and outlook. Here’s why this post is important. Dave’s Feable use of a partisan poll as defense is perfect example. There is no objective information being offered to citizens. Every single community social media page that touches this topic deletes, blocks, bans ANY voice that hints at not promoting the propaganda. Immediately, as soon as it posts. Then, The handful of sad big voices publicly post personal attacks, often, yes Dave - Lies, about anyone who speaks up publicly about facts. Look at their pages, no facts, but misleading emotional posts shaming people who disagree in an attempt to silence them and divide us. Yet you’ve seen the abundant dialogue here. It’s the ONLY place where there is an audience that is not censored toward only one cause. Nobody, certainly not I, am trying to change anyone’s mind. I am trying to present factual information that is very aggressively kept from the public everywhere else. The entire community audience has been kept from the truth. Thank you again and again to Sowal Admins for being mature, and showing leadership, even though you might not personally agree with much of this discussion. I applaud your leadership. Now Dave, you have refused to join this discussion with intelligent discourse, and meet anyone in public for a community discussion and solution. Why?

12. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

You didn't listen to Bob's sage advise, did ya? Stop bloviating, stop badgering. Stop (please).

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  13. FloridaBeachBum

Reg, don't listen. Bob is right but doing nothing to present facts is just as bad. Some people facts just do not matter. Just their agenda.

It is only when the people become ignorant and corrupt, when they degenerate into a populace, that they are incapable of exercising their sovereignty.
    Let us by all wise and constitutional measures promote intelligence among the people as the best means of preserving our liberties.
    James Monroe

Badger is a frequently used nickname for someone being tough and fearless. I kind of like it.
    The Crazy Honey Badger (original narration by Randall). Funny but some adult language.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2019
  14. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

A friend sent a link to a local Facebook group which is referencing directly to this SoWal discussion thread by @Reggie Gaskins to show that certain members of this forum have different perspectives on Customary Use.

This is nothing new. We have had this discussion for many years here. SoWal admin is not here to direct or shape or censor the discussion as someone in the group stated in a most rude manner (putting it mildly). Rules call for us to keep it civil. Keep sharing ideas and sources. Try to make your statement a reflection of your personal views without tearing down other community members for theirs. This is your place and you direct the discussion accordingly. Always.

We all care. We all have a voice. Thank you for keeping it respectful.

This is an open forum for the community not a private group with an agenda. All are welcome.

FB_IMG_1557178834904.jpg

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  15. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Guess my point was that the courts will be deciding this issue

16. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

Fact: Home prices are declining
    Fact: tax revenue trending down !!!!!!!!!
    First to feel the pain Seaside........
    Fact: Golden Goose has left the house

17. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

Yep...I was just wondering why all of a sudden the BFOs and others were talking "compromise" and trying to say Walton Co. is "50% public beach" (lie, because we barely get 50% of the public beaches unless we want to pay up to the vendors). Guess word has gotten out and now folks dont want to pay $3 to
    5K a week to look at "PRIVATE BEACH" signs and ugly little plastic chains. Wonder how they will make the payments on that "investment" beach house now?

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
    • List
  18. Rachael Ashman McKee

Rachael Ashman McKee Beach Lover

Ask the Sheriff, because his SOP required/ demanded all these signs. And that was the reason and the beginning of the signs. Read the WCSO SOP, signs were not an issue until the Sheriff demanded them and more.

19. Auburn Fan

Auburn Fan Beach Lover

Bloviating? Seriously?

Is it really necessary to resort to an insult against Reggie, instead of just coming up with an honest, well-thought out, educated reply with sound facts and reason?

Meanwhile, there's a very current SERIOUS attack on the culture of our community, waged in social media by well orchestrated agitators, with devastating consequences.

One who enjoys using words like "bloviate" might appreciate a refresher of other word definitions:

Violent:
    "using or involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something"

Sniper:
    "person who shoots from a hiding place, especially accurately and at long range"

Murder:
    "the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another"

Yes. That very list of words strung together makes most of us uncomfortable. As it should everyone. And yet...

A local FLORIDA BEACHES FOR ALL member recently actually produced a VIOLENT SNIPER MURDER video, and just last week posted this disturbing video to a variety of social media platforms using a variety of social media accounts.

The video shows a male with a sniper rifle take aim and viciously shoot another male to death. A crowd of people is also included in the video. Possible portrayal of mass shooting? The video portrays a violent murder and the man dying , right on the beach, in front of Bud and Alley's restaurant.

And what motivated such a horrific video like this?

The large banner caption attached to the violent sniper murder video says:

“Private Beach Problem… Solved”

No wonder so many beachfront homeowners are truly scared.

FLORIDA BEACHES FOR ALL was founded last summer by David Rauschkolb.

This video currently has over 800 views. Over a dozen members have indicated their actual agreement and approval of the video posted online.

Oh, but it's just a video, not the real thing. Fun satire. Right? Fun?
    Fun for whom? I can think of hundreds of families for whom that would not be funny at all.

Are we really so desensitized that a video like this is just "nothing"? much less amusing?

How DARE you try to diminish what's going on in our community by calling someone's calm, educated, respectful response to these issues mere "bloviating".

Many civilized people actually welcome this form of respectful discourse, compared to the heightened dramatic false narratives plastered on social media elsewhere. Many greatly appreciate that the moderators here have actually allowed true discourse to occur without the gross censorship that is occurring on other platforms. I for one am starting to have my eyes opened. Already several of the emotional taglines of last summer have proved to be so untrue. I'm personally re-evaluating. A lot.

That vicious video is being promoted as a celebrated solution to our very real, painful conflict from which our community is suffering.

Filmed on location. Just a few hundred feet from our own Seaside Neighborhood School.

Here in Walton County.

Where is the outrage?

Or is no one in the community speaking out because this kind of intense social media intimidation is actually working?

Is no one speaking up, just because we just don't want to bring ever more negativity into our conversations? Kumbaya.

Or are the locals thinking "If I speak out, they will send someone after me with camera and computer in attempt to make a viral YouTube video and make my life miserable"?

Is the outrage eclipsed by fear?

"If you want to control someone, all you have to do is to make them feel afraid."
    ~Paulo Coelho

Fear not.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

L
    the string of words you put together was quite a bit worse than the word “bloviate”. You are a fear-monger. No one on this site ever used that kind of language until you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.