Customary Use and Our 30A Legacy

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Reggie Gaskins, Apr 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Bentwood

James Bentwood Beach Fanatic

There is a thread about it. you should post there.

2. Rachael Ashman McKee

Rachael Ashman McKee Beach Lover

I am a BFO and have nothing to hide nor hide behind. Proudly, I have the Constitution and no need for anything else.

3. BlueMtnBeachVagrant

BlueMtnBeachVagrant Beach Fanatic

So TDC just raised the tourist tax from 4% to 5% effective January 1st. Anybody know the justification for this offhand?

4. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

What happened to Rachael's Post? I was trying to thank her for being a good neighbor and to apologize for lumping her in the power broker category. I also wanted to agree with her about property rights defined by the Constitution however I view this issue as NOT about property rights and more about a play for power. Maybe you have not noticed but the posts that I call power brokers are trying to weaken the local government and gain control of the beach. The "beach" is our community! If you believe in community then you would see the difference between the reality of this situation and what they keep telling you. Unless they have been deleted you can go back and read their post regarding community, The People and local government which they don't care for much. I do understand the argument about behavior and Dave has a proposal that addresses the behavior. The power brokers don't listen. They talk...a lot. They slice and dice. They have but one agenda: POWER.

5. Rachael Ashman McKee

Hey, I’m still here. Love this place, love our community, and have since the 60’s

6. Rachael Ashman McKee

I was Gailforce until I decided to ditch my nom de plume, so you may not always like me.

7. catmoney

catmoney Beach Comber

I use to post on this subject some, but we bought some property in Bay County, so we don't deal with private beaches anymore. I still own property in NoWal and SoWal so, I still follow the conversation. I looked up these cases. None of them have anything to do with a private beach front owner's liability. Four involve auto accidents on the beach; one involves a footbridge that boats can't get under; four involve drownings at state, county or municipal parks; three are non-beach related trip and falls; two involve people diving into the ocean at either state or city parks; one involves diving into a hotel pool; one involves a suit against a city for a shark attack. One of the four auto accident cases was against a motel. However, the Court granted the Defendant motel summary judgment meaning they have no liability.

None of these case are examples of a private beach front owner being held liable for an injury that occurred on their property.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  8. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

Hey Rachael! Thank you for your community spirit! As for me I generally like people...even when they disagree with me. So even if you and I disagree it matters not in the big picture. Life is short. I say live and let live! These people I call power brokers are very interesting. I assume they are not from here. If they are they sure don’t talk like it. They are too systematic. Too smooth. Too glib. Because they hide their names and follow an agenda that diminishes any value outside their own interest I conclude that they are not what they say. Back to community. There is a simple little book titled Seed Folks that I read once or twice every year. It was given to me as a gift. You might enjoy it especially in this polarized world. I feel we must be aware of people that try to divide us. That little book is amazing. If you do read it let me know what you think. Power to The Community!

9. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

Catmoney thank you for your research. These power brokers must think we are stupid. I think we can now add deception to their agenda.

10. Dave Rauschkolb

Dave Rauschkolb Beach Fanatic

Wow...thanks for looking into this because I am not knowledgeable on how to get that info. Looks like, if your research is correct, my hand is looking pretty good.

11. Dave Rauschkolb

Dave Rauschkolb Beach Fanatic

Good evening Rachael Ashman McKee,

I especially appreciate that you are represented here a yourself and not an anonymous, fake profile. I respect you and your opinions and conviction regarding this issue.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  12. Stone Cold J

Stone Cold J Beach Lover

Bottom line.
    If you own beach property, you can get sued for liability for any injuries on your property.
    Supreme Court still holds a Royal Flush.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  13. EZ4144

EZ4144 Beach Lover

Bluff CALLED!

14. James Bentwood

James Bentwood Beach Fanatic

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

"1,193 private property parcels and 4,671 property owners"........
    I keep seeing these numbers pop up and I think I will have to do some research and find out just how many of these litigants are actually businesses/investments/trusts and/or LLCs. Meaning they probably dont even live here and are actually running these properties as businesses.....I wonder how many of them are upland property owners that dont even realize their renters are the ones that are getting squeezed into that sliver of "public beach" and being bullied into renting from the chair nazis. Any good property management company isnt going to let those complaints get back to the owner lest they be fired. They will just comp a night or hand out a few gift card VISAs. The "homeowner" will never be any wiser as long as that check hits the bank every month and they are at a 90% or better occupancy rate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  16. Easternlakefan

Easternlakefan Beach Comber

First, thank you James for tell me about a forum to post the Eastern Lake property purchases. I barely ever post just try to keep up with what's going on.
    As to the one cent tourist tax. I watched the meeting of July 23 and I believe it's to purchase property or to pay for the improvements already planned for properties purchased to attract more tourists and for the public to use. Follow link and click on the 9am meeting and video. It's near the end of meeting.

This is an E-Update for the meeting: Board of County Commissioners - Jul 23 2019
    Please visit the following link to view the document:

Board of County Commissioners - Jul 23 2019

17. catmoney

catmoney Beach Comber

That’s true, but that applies to any property no matter if it’s beach property or not. My point is, if you cite 16 examples you would think one would be relevant.

18. Easternlakefan

Easternlakefan Beach Comber

I rarely posted and then this time I posted to James Brentwood the answer to your question by operator error on my laptop. But I watched the July 23 meeting and the 1% increase is to either purchase more property or to pay for the improvements to the properties already purchased to attract more tourists and for the public use. The answer is toward the end of the meeting.

This is an E-Update for the meeting: Board of County Commissioners - Jul 23 2019
    Please visit the following link to view the document:

Board of County Commissioners - Jul 23 2019

19. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Bottom line is you can be sued in our society for just about anything by just about anybody. After reading what someone else posted about your list I think that proves it. My question to you, what was the win loss record?

20. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

Alot (and I mean ALOT) of the "owners' in the lawsuit are LLCs so they have thought of that and knew that there would be people on that beach and they were covering their ass...sets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.