Customary Use Will Destroy Our 30A Legacy

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Reggie Gaskins, Apr 25, 2019.

1. L.C. Bane

L.C. Bane Beach Fanatic

Impossible request. I would wager dollars to donuts that the majority of Walton County residents disagree with the original post ( and most likely those that folllow) in it's entirety. Not to mention the condecending and derogitory content. But feel free, as is your perogative, to keep fanning the flames.

I assure you that this is a true bi-partisan issue and we are overwhelmingly united on this specific topic.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. FactorFiction

FactorFiction Beach Fanatic

Food for thought:

With Walton County's record of enforcing ordinances, codes, and other regulations, would YOU want Walton County to control your property?

Perhaps the public shouldn't equate protecting a private property right (ejectment) with not wanting anyone on their property.

3. Reggie Gaskins

Reggie Gaskins Beach Lover

That was the entire rationale for this post. The majority of citizens are being fed false facts. Without any avenue, anywhere, for a more fact based news flow, people are too busy to research the reality of the beach dilemma. There is a one sided echo chamber on social media and local news that censors the information that the public sees.
    I would applaud the admins of this site for allowing this discussion to continue. This might be the first time that we’ve had this extensive amount of pro Constitutional property rights discussion allowed online or in print with a significant Walton audience. Normally, the true facts and property rights post is deleted, and the poster blocked from participating in the discussion. Thank you!

4. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

“The majority of the people are being fed false facts”. Where do you get this gem of disinformation? The majority of the people have been enjoying the freedom of these beaches for hundreds of years in peace and tranquility. For someone who has just arrived, you seem to think you are full of facts. Please tell me what the beaches were like in 1983? Were there people using the beach who did not have a deed to the property they walked on. Duh.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  5. Reggie Gaskins

I arrived here in 1991, 28 years ago. So I can't speak to 1983. But every year since, as my original post describes, we've all enjoyed 30A charm together. See, we agree! And even today, May 1, 2019, there will be hundreds of people using private beach without deed in hand. On June 1 it will be thousands. On July 1, it will be tens of thousands. As it should be. Unfortunately, the more attacks on private owners, the more signs.
    You ask about false facts...
    Saying public beach has been converted to private is false fact
    Saying Quiet Title converted public to private is false fact
    Saying HB 631 caused privatization is false fact
    Saying HB 631 caused signs and ropes is false fact
    Saying Customary Use has always been in effect is false fact
    Saying Beachfront Property Owners don't pay taxes on property is false fact
    Saying private beaches are something new is false fact
    Those are all hard and true facts of law, supported by legal documents.
    Which of those needs further discussion?

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  6. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

No one is attacking private owners. They are part of our community, many are friends, great neighbors and also support customary use of our beaches.

Alternative facts are not facts.

FB_IMG_1556575780805.jpg

7. Lake View Too

I arrived at these beaches in 1959 so I can attest to the customary use of these beaches and have photographic proof, site specific and general. The Right Of Customary Use does not “come into effect”. The Right has existed from the customary use that had been evident and documented. It seems curious to me that you have been enjoying these beaches since the early 90’s and yet just got on this website a few days ago. If you had been following SoWal for the last couple decades you would be more informed about the evidence of customary use and the feelings of the majority of beach goers in this area.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  8. BlueMtnBeachVagrant

BlueMtnBeachVagrant Beach Fanatic

Teresa,
    Care to elaborate fact by fact as listed by Reggie? It might help some of us to understand your viewpoint.

Oh, and to suggest that most "private owners" (assuming you mean BFOs) support customary use of the beach (not "our" as you suggest else we wouldn't be having this discussion) is a little disingenuous - this fact supported by the number of owners who have filed motion to intervene.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  9. Teresa

Would love to see you write something on your own life experiences with customary use over the years.. Of course you already have in your wonderful collection of stories and books. Write up a short story!

10. Reggie Gaskins

There have been 50 questions asked in this string. Still waiting for a chance to discuss the first answer.
    Standing by..................................

11. Lake View Too

Is this issue going to be decided in a court of law, on the beaches of South Walton, or on this website? If you think you are going to "win" in the court of public opinion, it ain't going to happen. Badger on.

12. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

Just when the public has decided to let the issue rest for a while as it works its way through the courts like the BFOs wanted along comes someone new to this discussion that has been going on for years to stir the pot. Give it a rest Reggie...you arent going to accomplish anything by coming here and asking for opinions that you dont want to hear. Go hang with your beach buddies and trash talk us all you want. The courts will decide.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. Reggie Gaskins

And still anticipating a discussion with the first person to answer one, just one, of those 50 questions. And no, not looking for a win here. But only honest discussion for a change. And no, not bringing anything up that is quiet. There were two intense intimidation events orchestrated by extreme activists last weekend, all directed at innocent beachfront owners. Those two events alone pushed 436 social media posts by the mob leaders. I don’t call that quiet. Respectfully, this is the only protected site where opposing views aren’t blocked.

14. FactorFiction

FactorFiction Beach Fanatic

While I agree that this will ultimately be decided in the courts, I'm surprised that there seems to be no appetite for some actual discussion. What if the court orders some sort of mediation? People would rather stay in court for years on end, than consider some sort of (wait for the dirty word) compromise? Maybe people like being on pins and needles or being in conflict? I find the whole scenario baffling.

15. Lake View Too

Just keep bloviating. You already know what we think.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. Reggie Gaskins

LVT, you’ve asked me three questions, I’ve answered all three. I’ve asked you 50, you’ve responded seven(7) times and yet answered none, not one. Why not? Who’s “bloviating”? I’m Just trying to have a discussion. Let’s try this last one; Your statement about Customary Use being currently recognized on our beaches is a statement of law, not “feelings”, correct? In order to keep social order, there must be rules and enforcement. Under which government authority is Customary Use currently governed?

17. Teresa

I'm sorry but I don't feel compelled to interact with someone who uses your kind of language regarding our own caring and vocal community members. Mob. Intimidation. Extreme. Activists. Etc. You are certainly welcome to your opinions but don't expect a meaningful response. It's non-productive. You seem reasonable until you don't. You may not be aware that South Walton has always been filled with the most incredible active residents who will stand up and do the hard work to protect what makes this town uniquely wonderful for our children and families and future. I am proud of our outstanding community and its people. We literally do not have a local government in place so these are our leaders doing all they can on behalf of all of us.

I appreciate you taking the time to express your thoughts however offensive your language may be. Perhaps someone will be willing to answer your questions.

18. Reggie Gaskins

Thank you Teresa, I apologize for the aggressive words. I owe you my view, they weren’t meant to offend. I shall stop using these on this page;
    - Mob = purposely lathered public group, leveraged for a common cause, acting outside of the law, motivated by misinformation deliberately fed by opposition leaders. Mob participants would not normally behave as such if true facts are known to them.
    - Intimidation = Repeatedly Doxxing both alive and dead private citizens by posting personal pictures/addresses and private information across hundreds of public posts. Contacting their family and employers with false and disparaging information. Spreading false truths and videotaping/photographing their homes as targets for the mob. Grouping 10,000 neighbors as Evil, Greedy, Thieves
    - Extreme activists = Staging intense public intimidation of private citizens on private property. Forcing local law enforcement to be videotaped for purpose of public narrative. Staging noisy conflict for social media posts. Encouraging public harassment of neighbors. Loudly publicizing exaggerated and entirely staged conflict to further a cause, deliberately and significantly hurting the economics of our entire community on purpose, through those postings.
    I used those terms as I believe them to be fact, not opinion. I’ve included those facts here on this string for review. I shall stop using them here at your very succinct request. Thank you for that discussion.

19. Teresa

FB_IMG_1556802429308.jpg

20. Reggie Gaskins

And before we see the following, I’ll say it for you...
    There are examples of terrible, extreme, intimidating
    30aholes on both sides of the issue. There are a few very vocal, mean, intimidating, extreme private beach owners who aren’t helping our community at all. Their actions on the beach give us a bad name and hurt the community. Period.