• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ATJoe

Beach Lover
May 10, 2007
Westfield, IN
Allow me to join the chorus singing the praises of D&K. :bow:

Mrs. ATJ and myself were fortunate to find ourselves sitting in Doug and Kat's place early last Wednesday evening. Ahhh. Life is good! :D Doug took a few minutes to speak with us before allowing us the pleasure of looking over the menu. :drool:

We started with the New Orleans BBQ Shrimp which was superb then followed with the Grayton Grouper w/Soft Shell Crab and NY Strip w/Sauteed Mushrooms. I'm not talented enough as a wordsmith to convey the wonderful flavors, but suffice it enough to say the entire meal was beyond delicious!

Add to the food a beautiful room, good music, and great staff and it's easy to understand all the positive reviews! :clap:Bravo!

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
We finally went to D&K's last night. I have to admit, I was really nervous when I heard that D&K's was being shuttered and would be reopened as an upscale endeavor. I was trying to think back to the last time I had been there, and I am pretty sure it was October, 2005. No doubt I had the grouper po-boy, Zapps and a few cold beers that day. Those days may be gone forever, but in my opinion the 'new' D&K is destined to become a SOWAL favorite even if you can't dine barefoot anymore.

Kat sat us at a window table overlooking Hotz Avenue;we could see the beach from our spot, but I admit, watching the humanity jockying for parking spots to get into the Red Bar was more entertaining. Kat had customized our table with mardi gras beads and flower petals! Our server opened our bottle of wine (Jayson 2002), and we were on our way.

I started with the shrimp and tasso grits, while Rapunz had the seafood martini trio. My plate came out with several large shrimp over a warm bowl of rich grits. There were several chunks of tasso, and there was also a jalapeno kick in there someplace. When I was finished I lifted up the garnish looking for more grits! Rapunz's trio consisted of plump boiled shrimp and fried crab claws arranged over a lump crab 'salad' in a remolaude (sp?) sauce...all in a martini glass. All the flavors were wonderful.

Did I mention the Jayson was wonderful? We invited Kat to have a glass with us, and she seemed to enjoy it. It was all the more amazing in that the bottle was 'left behind' at our place during Katrina and survived!

For an entree I had the panned softshell crabs...killer, killer, 2 perfectly pan fried large softees with a cream sauce on top. Rapunz had a steak with fried oysters. The beef was perfect, and it was criminal how deliciously the wine and beef complimented each other. The oysters were plump and fried perfectly.

As you might guess, we were stuffed after dinner, but we had to have a piece of the famous D&K key lime pie. It was as delicious as advertised.

If you go to D&K, you are going to eat. My greatest fear when they were 'going upscale' was that it would turn into (yet) another sushi and mango salsa dressed Chilean sea bass type place. It isn't, thankfully, and Doug and Kathy have done a good job commiting to serving rich, wonderful coastal comfort food. Thanks for the great evening Kathy!:wave: :love:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
:clap: :wave: And the Skunks brought us some seafood dip on their way home!! We inhaled it!!

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
We finally went to D&K's last night. I have to admit, I was really nervous when I heard that D&K's was being shuttered and would be reopened as an upscale endeavor. I was trying to think back to the last time I had been there, and I am pretty sure it was October, 2005. No doubt I had the grouper po-boy, Zapps and a few cold beers that day. Those days may be gone forever, but in my opinion the 'new' D&K is destined to become a SOWAL favorite even if you can't dine barefoot anymore.

Kat sat us at a window table overlooking Hotz Avenue;we could see the beach from our spot, but I admit, watching the humanity jockying for parking spots to get into the Red Bar was more entertaining. Kat had customized our table with mardi gras beads and flower petals! Our server opened our bottle of wine (Jayson 2002), and we were on our way.

I started with the shrimp and tasso grits, while Rapunz had the seafood martini trio. My plate came out with several large shrimp over a warm bowl of rich grits. There were several chunks of tasso, and there was also a jalapeno kick in there someplace. When I was finished I lifted up the garnish looking for more grits! Rapunz's trio consisted of plump boiled shrimp and fried crab claws arranged over a lump crab 'salad' in a remolaude (sp?) sauce...all in a martini glass. All the flavors were wonderful.

Did I mention the Jayson was wonderful? We invited Kat to have a glass with us, and she seemed to enjoy it. It was all the more amazing in that the bottle was 'left behind' at our place during Katrina and survived!

For an entree I had the panned softshell crabs...killer, killer, 2 perfectly pan fried large softees with a cream sauce on top. Rapunz had a steak with fried oysters. The beef was perfect, and it was criminal how deliciously the wine and beef complimented each other. The oysters were plump and fried perfectly.

As you might guess, we were stuffed after dinner, but we had to have a piece of the famous D&K key lime pie. It was as delicious as advertised.

If you go to D&K, you are going to eat. My greatest fear when they were 'going upscale' was that it would turn into (yet) another sushi and mango salsa dressed Chilean sea bass type place. It isn't, thankfully, and Doug and Kathy have done a good job commiting to serving rich, wonderful coastal comfort food. Thanks for the great evening Kathy!:wave: :love:

we done tole ya!

love those shrimp and tasso grits. you've made me hungry and ready for more! oh, we can go for lunch now too, can't we?:wave:

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
SoWal Celebs adorn D&K's again!

Yep, they were there with bells on....Dr. Skunky and his beautiful wife Rapunzel (Punzi). I saw that look of apprehention in Dr. S's eyes all the way across the dining room as they waited to be seated.

At first I thought Miss Beauty Queen/SoWal Celeb had brought Russell Crowe in with her....but no, just a hungry Doctor with a bottle of wine. Speaking of wine....as the Dr. said that wine was perfect :bow: ....YUM. I wish I could have sat down with them and enjoyed a little more. It was "Miracle" wine.... it made it through Katrina. And, I felt so honored that they brought it in to D&K's and let me share a bit.:clap: :clap:

I cried when I read your post......we all know who has the talent to review food and that's 30A Skunkape!:clap: I can't tell you how hard it is to be in the food service industry and have someone "get" what you are trying to do in your restaurant. I just want people to be happy! Oh yeah, and full of grayt food! We're not trying to be pretencious...just trying to do what we love.

Thank you all for supporting us and being so much funn!!!! And what grayt friends...to take jdarg some Seafood dip!!!!:love: :love:

Now....you make up your own mind SoWallers.....did Punzi bring in Dr. Skunky or Russell Crowe???????????

:love: Kat

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
:clap: :wave: And the Skunks brought us some seafood dip on their way home!! We inhaled it!!

Girl! If I hadn't been so busy I would have caught what size container it went out in and slipped another one in the bag for you!;-) Next time:D

What grayt friends you have in Dr.S & Punzi!!!!:love:

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
we done tole ya!

:lolabove: Yep Yep Yep me tooooo Tootsie....like pulling teeth to get him in he was so concerned about the "The new upper scale D&K's".....and I bet we'd serve you barefoot :rotfl: if you came in!

Gotta Love Dem SoWallers!:love: :love:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Hey Kat...here's the ultimate idea. Get them dang windows on a crank and open 'em up during lunch!!! :D :wave: I gotta' tell you I am sitting here waiting on Mr. K for lunch and this thread is making my tummy rumble. I think you must know how happy y'all have made so many of us by adding lunch!!! :clap: