• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Many good points on this thread.. bikers on Scenic 30A - it has been a regular discussion on SoWal Forums over the years... I wish they could use the bike path, but that isn't the right place for them. They belong on the road but I have encountered dangerous situations on several occasions when people are passing a biker, and the car is in my lane headed straight for me.

Seagrovegirl has the best advice... Slow down, be kind.

Yes, it is aggravating to be stuck behind a bike. Happens a LOT! But, they do have a right to ride on the road. Just take it easy.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Instead of panhandlers "passing the hat" at the intersection of 30-A and 395, maybe they could pass out Valium...would that help?:blink:

ktape

Beach Comber
Sep 25, 2007
Having a right to do something does not always make it right to do that thing.
In my view the bikers that ride 30A are MORE concerned about that right than they are safety or the needs of others. They love to exercise their legal right to ride on 30A (a rode with no shoulder), but at the same time Do Not obey traffic laws. I travel between Grayton and Blue Mountain Beach several times a day, (walking, riding, and driving) and have yet to see any of the spandex crowd stop at the 4 way, yet have seen dozens run the signs.

As irritating as their Impeding of traffic is, I find their Hubris even more so.

rdelong43065

Beach Fanatic
May 28, 2007
Seagrove
Having a right to do something does not always make it right to do that thing.
In my view the bikers that ride 30A are MORE concerned about that right than they are safety or the needs of others. They love to exercise their legal right to ride on 30A (a rode with no shoulder), but at the same time Do Not obey traffic laws. I travel between Grayton and Blue Mountain Beach several times a day, (walking, riding, and driving) and have yet to see any of the spandex crowd stop at the 4 way, yet have seen dozens run the signs.

As irritating as their Impeding of traffic is, I find their Hubris even more so.

You said it. Thank you!

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
Too damn bad you may have to slow or wait to get around me as I ride my Road Bike on 30A or the areas other roads. Truly it isn't our fault the multi use path is abysmal and isn't safe for speeds over 15mph. Not that 30A is a much better option. I've only been hit once, nearly grilled by a double line passer and countless near runoffs. Again this is a vacation, retirement area. WTH is everyone is such a hurry for anyway. Barely anyone obeys the non- enforced speed limits in the area so don't feel we hinder just you on purpose. Standard Ignorant non caring answers here as usual for all the spandex haters out there. So all you haters now We Don't Give A Crap. Ride Baby Ride. Thanks for inspiring me to start my rides a little later in the morns this week and slow my cadence down. Your not worth my concerns. Peace

Douglas

Beach Comber
Aug 27, 2012
Seagrove Beach
If you can't reach and maintain the speed limit of Scenic 30A, you don't belong on it. Most scooters, golf carts and bikes can't reach the average 35 mph on 30A. That makes you a sitting duck.

Riding a bike on any highway is dangerous! What would your mom have told you? Stay off the highway!

Where is the non-highway alternative to 30A?

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
The alternative is using the multi-use path or using proper transportation methods.

cgrovetriguy

Beach Crab
Jul 12, 2013
Reading these threads (because I hardly ever get on this website at all) I wonder how many of these people actually live right on 30-A (I do --directly right off the 30-A multi-use path actually) and how many folks have lived here for many decades, like we have? My wife and I are very blessed to own many properties throughout the US and I'm always amazed at the attitude of folks to this area -- no matter when they show up as the "newest resident" -- suggesting how things need to be "done better" or "their way." When we visit our other homes we blend in and try to go with the flow...it seems to not be the case in SoWal. Just an observation many of us REAL native local folks have made. (PS to be a local you must have a birth certificate from the beach area... because apparently some folks don't even grasp that concept.). I won't ride 30-A on my triathlon bike because so many yahoos are driving their cars without any regard to anyone else but themselves -- Welcome to SoWal -- as it today.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
A local is someone who lives and works here full time, a native is born here, IMO. I longtime local not born here would be an implanted native. I have lived here since I was 9 years old and that was in 1972. I am a local and implanted. Unfortunately, we do not have the infrastructure to support all the visitors and bike enthusiasts along the beach. It will not get better until the locals make a stand and demand the County make improvements and stop building when our roads and paths cannot handle what is here now. It's a steep, sandy slope, because the County does not want to tell a property owner they cannot develop their property, so we continue to have more of the same. I have heard MANY visitors say it has gotten too crowded here and are going elsewhere to vacation. The only solution I see is cutting through the State Forest to create feeder roads to Hwy 98, and that is another whole bag of worms.

Last edited: