Dennis - Beach Accesses - post here

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Kurt Lischka, Jul 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocean Lover

Ocean Lover bean

Is there any construction going on? I haven't heard of any new walkovers for a while. Looks like we'll be driving. If we go to Grayton...what if better...the state park or walk on access?

2. bhilyer

bhilyer Beach Comber

We just got back from staying in Seagrove. We were able to access the beach easily at the San Juan access. There is a cut in the dune to the left of the walkover with a rope for help getting up. Our four year old had no trouble going up or down. Actually, the kids thought it was cool.

If you would rather use stairs, the small neighborhood to the right has a walkover that has been repaired and we (the adults) used it, too. We didn't until one of the residents insisted. This was right there at the SanJuan access. There is some parking for cars and bicycles.

3. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Obviously Bhilyer has not been reading how pissed off everyone is at folks like her/him for helping to further damage property. :bang: (and thinks it is cute that her kids find it fun.):dunno: :twisted:
    Wake up! or leave at once!
    Maybe we can switch out the rope for razor wire. What do you think?:dunno: Would that make people use the stairs?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2005
  4. Ocean Lover

Ocean Lover bean

Yikes, those dragonflies can really sting. I'm going to assume Bhilyer doesn't know about the dunes.(walking on them is extremly damaging, please look for other threads regarding the dunes) I think we could inform rather than berate. :nono1:

Thank you for your response Bhilyer...I'll be using a walkover...hopefully the San Juan one is close to us. Good to hear there's parking available there also.

5. Ocean Lover

Ocean Lover bean

I just wanted to add one thing. I think it is awesome that SJ is so passionate about SoWal beaches and dunes. I just know there are a lot of ignorant tourists out there and if there's not a sign or a fence telling them to stay off then they are probably clueless. Being a really conscientious person myself, I would want to know. I would hate to unknowingly hurt the environment.

6. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

We've been informing for some time now. Some people just refuse to listen, and even signs will do them no good. They simply follow the "Dumb Masses" (don't read those two words too fast :D), as Neil Bortz says. Maybe Bhilyer will read my post and at least wake up enough to take notice of her actions. You see, razor wire just gives one a visual of how pissed I am :twisted:.

It sounds like you are trying to be very informed Ocean Lover. Your name alone says it all. You care about a place you love. Thanks!:D

7. OhioBeachBum

OhioBeachBum Beach Fanatic

I can see it not taking long to develop a bit of an attitude relative to this. Picked trash & debris during dawn walks every morning while down there (maybe 20% debris and the rest people trash). Pretty disgusted with careless people at end of week. Folks wouldn't leave beer cans, plastic bottles, and other assorted crap in their yards (hopefully). Don't get why some feel beach is fair game.
    Dunes though, that's maybe not a "mr. obvious" thing to some newbie visitors.

Something I noticed years back 1st time I crossed from US into Canada (Niagara area). Dramatic difference on Canada side - very noticible complete absence of roadside litter (dramatic compared to US side). Figured out why 'bout a 1/2 mile later when I saw the first of many "$500 fine for littering" signs (that was 30 years ago when 500 was a bit more substantial sum).

Maybe signs to educate (dunes) and to warn against the obvious (strewing one's trash about), but IMHO many people need some teeth in the warnings to keep their attention - maybe $1000 might be an attention-getter these days.

8. bhilyer

bhilyer Beach Comber

Wow-I'm sorry. :oops: I have been reading the many posts and looking at the pictures here and I would never intentionally try to harm the beach. We have had a place in Texas since I was a little girl and I know how disheartening it can be to watch visitors trash your beach.

From pictures I had seen here, I thought that was an accepted temporary path, as many others were using it, and the stairs were private and were used only when we found it was okay.

Smiling Joe, the harshness was unexpected. You seem like a really nice guy. My husband and I were in shock and awe at the damage done to your beach and our thoughts and prayers went out to the owners of the beautiful homes, especially the ones that have been there for years and years. I think this area is wonderful and plan to come for many years, so we support any efforts to restore the beach (that includes returning and spending our money)

I hope you can come up with a system to educate visitors, especially first time visitors like us who are used to nothing but flat, wide beaches. But, I hope it's in a nicer way than "razors on a rope"...

9. amylouky

amylouky Beach Lover

I have to agree.. I think there's been SOME attempt at educating people, but obviously not nearly enough.. one of the agents AT OUR RENTAL COMPANY told us that there was a cut in the dune we could use to access the beach, if the beach walkover wasn't fixed yet. And didn't someone mention that at the wedding the other night in Grayton, there was a deputy there who did nothing about the people in the dunes?
    If the word hasn't gotten around to all the residents and officials yet, it surely hasn't gotten to all of the tourists. Maybe a bit of patience, gentle reminders (not so gentle the second time), and a grassroots education program is in order?
    I really think that the vast majority of beach visitors are willing to do whatever they can to preserve the beaches, if only they all knew what that was..

10. katie blue

katie blue kt loo

You're right Amy, with all the passion flying round, seems we could channel it into a little grass roots dune watch effort here. The turtle watch people have done that successfully. Maybe if the TDC could spare a few bucks for us to get some signs reproduced and allow us to store a repository of them at the HQ, we could have people come pick a few up and place them in their neighborhood dunes. (or maybe a local print shop could donate the printing?) I'd be happy to volunteer to design and prep the sign for print, and would certainly install some along 30a. I know we have plenty of "hands" between us for placing them, the only sticking issue right now would be the funds to have them printed. Just a thought.

11. bjc9153

bjc9153 Beach Crab

This is in reply to the beach access at Beachside Condos. I just got back from there Saturday night and the walkway was open when I left. However, the water was very murky and there was lots or debris and dirt on the beach (not its usual white sand by any means) and with the heavy rain Seagrove received Friday more beach erosion occurred and about two to three more feet of land eroded from Beachside Condos. This is very scary because so many condo conplexes (like Emerald Hill Condo Complex, Dune Villas, and Leeward II Complexes) are just hanging in the edge of the beach and to see more erosion occuring makes me worry that it won't be long until we won't see dirt and debris on the beach but entire beach condo conplex colapsed on the beach. Is anyone else worried about this and how can those buildings be saved.

12. amylouky

amylouky Beach Lover

Hmm. Well, that's not great news.. we're headed down Friday. At least the walkway's open.. hopefully we'll be able to actually use it!

13. beachbuddy

beachbuddy Beach Comber

Does anyone know what the conditions for beach access are on Blue Mtn Beach Drive near Gulf Point Road? Specifically, at The Redfish house.

14. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

[​IMG]

I believe this is the closest, although illegal, access near Gulf Point Road. I am sure that Donna, one of the owners, would be pissed if she knew that people were destroying her property. I have PM'd her but I don't think she is logging in.

The access at CR 83 is the closest ligit public access at this time, and it is only another 100 meters away.

15. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Just received a PM from Donna, and she is greatly upset that people are doing this to her property. She is too kind to say so, so I will say it for her.
    KEEP OUT! Donna would probably add, "please."

16. beachbuddy

beachbuddy Beach Comber

Thanks. I had seen that photo on the board earlier and agreed with those who said "what were they thinking?" I did not know where the photo was taken.

17. OhioBeachBum

OhioBeachBum Beach Fanatic

Late for reality TV show and big bag of chitlins...

18. shakennotstirred

shakennotstirred Beach Fanatic

Does this mean SJ is getting a new ladder for his collection?

19. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Where are they going if they are climbing up the dune? I think they were overserved and the skinny one threw the keys and the others missed and now they are digging for them! BTW...who took this pic and what means were used to get their attention? Chips, coupons for McDonald's, or hopefully one of those air guns with biodegradeable ammo????

20. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

She is too sweet to give me the okay, but, after receiving confirmation on her thoughts of the issue, the ladder may be gone tomorrow if I can work it into my schedule. :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.