• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
seagrover said:
Anyone know the lake east of Borago - the smaller one with the homes on the lake - there is the one on the edge and I love to look at this guys pier to see how far it is from the waterlevel - to look at it now, there is NO pier - completely covered with water.
Somewhere I have a photo, which I will post, of the top of the tiki torch which is on that submerged deck. I think it is in my other camera.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
goodemom said:
We are located at 458 Blue Mountain rd. I'm hearing we only have about 5 feet of sand left before the "cliff" is to the house. Our brand new deck is suspended in the air on one side. I could use any suggestions as to what to do from here (be nice!). I don't know where to start. Do we have sand brought in - can we even do that? Are retaining walls allowed? Are they worth the cost vs the risk of losing it in another storm. Do we just sit back and wait until hurricane season is over? I am overwhlemed! Any help would be appreciated.

There is a white sand ordinance in place that will determine what sand you can bring in. Ordinarily you would have to go through DEP for walls, but there may be some exceptions made in the upcoming weeks.

The county is meeting with the Governor and the state. The first priority is the houses that are undermined. A dredge may be brought in to bring sand onshore to shore up the ones that can be saved.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
watercolormom said:
My parents said the Grayton beaches looked bad but houses looked great!!
P7110034.JPG

Apparently, someone forgot to tell these guys that Grayton Beach looks bad.

alankat

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
seagrovelover said:
SJ.......WHAT WOULD WE DO WITHOUT YOU!!!!!!!! thanks for all your info and pictures

Smilin' Joe - I wish we knew you, but we too thank you over and over for all your earnest info. I just wish it hadn't broken our hearts - we were due to be beach front at Gulf Trace on 7/22... Doesn't look likely, does it?

We'll still come and help in any way we can - if we have a place to stay!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
lasml said:
Hate to ask but does anyone know if the Lagniappe house on highway 30 a is o.k. It is right before the little bridge almost at the beginning of oyster lake. It is Gulf front. After Ivan it only lost its stairway going down to the beach. We are suppose to be arriving this Thrusday, July 16th.

One of these? That area is looking rough. Check with your rental company.
P7100164.JPG

P7100156.JPG

P7100172.JPG

P7100185.JPG

P7100159.JPG

Last edited:

Philip_Atlanta

Beach Lover
Mar 1, 2005
www.rosemaryrental.com
FYI - Old Florida Cottages are fine. My rental house lost some siding, but that was the only thing I saw in the neighborhood. As with everywhere else, the public beach access is gone. I went down to Ed Waline Park (at Gulf Place), and quite a few beach front homes are in bad shape in that area. Also, Rosemary Beach lost all it's walkovers, but I was told they are creating a temporary one asap (to get to the beach would require a 15-20 foot leap off a cliff).

From what I saw today, the erosion is extremely severe all along 30-a.:sosad:

Last edited:

amylouky

Beach Lover
Jul 7, 2005
Louisville, KY
Here's hoping that "tropical depression five" only comes close enough to wash some of the sand back on the beach...

Anyone know how long it might take to get the beach walkovers rebuilt?

Thanks for everything!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
port albert said:
We are booked to rent one of the private gulf front houses in Gulf Trace this winter. We love the place, and are worried that it may be undermined and unavailable this year. Have all of the houses there had structural damage, or just a few?

I did not go onto the beach in Gulf Trace, but here are a couple of photos from the road.
P7100141.JPG

P7100140.JPG

sunsetdunes

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
This may or may not be of interest to anyone, but am posting just in case.

Our house is in Inlet Beach, on Walton Rose Lane near the intersection with S. Wall. Our next door neighbor just returned home and reported that one of the beachfront houses on Pompano, an older one east of the intersection with S. Wall, is totally destroyed and lying on the beach, and that the road is completely washed out where it was already closed at the curve on Pompano. (Our house was spared damage, but it is on the second street back from the beach.) Power and phone lines are ok at her house and at mine. The closest place to access the beach from our house is at the end of Walton Lakeshore.

Status
Not open for further replies.