• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

dusty

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2005
Re: Photos

Thanks SJ, Kathydwells and others for the photos. Wow! Hard to know what the area is really like until you see them.

Looking at both of your photos, the beach width looks very variable in terms of distance from the end of the waves at shore to the dune cliffs. Kathy's picture suggests very little beach, while SJ's pics at Grayton Beach still show a wide beach in some shots and less beach in others. Not to be ignorant, but does the water recede after some days/weeks, making the beach wider again? Or does it take beach restoration/ dredging to reslope the beach so to speak, so the waves are further out and the beach is wider?

And only a week ago the discussion was about visitors who leave tents behind for others to dispose of!

CoffeeBoy

Beach Comber
Jul 12, 2005

Thanks for the site and the photos.

It is by far the best info on this little section of my world I have found to figure out what is left of the beach. That said, it is depressing to see the effects.

And one question - Is "JOe" owner of the Red Bar? Up here in Little Rock I like to visit another little restuarant you would be familiar with.

My wifes family (now "mine" after 12 years of marriage) have had a condo in Sea Clifts at BMB for around 17 years and we try and come down 4-5 times per year. Picked my name after the now failed Blue Mountain Coffee shop.

Thanks again

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal

Smiling JOe said:
On another note, thanks to all who sent your good energy this way. I certainly felt it, and it kept me safe and warm (or what that the A/C going out yesterday morning?). I appreciate being part of such a great community. Anyone wanting to buy me a beer, can simply invite any average joe whom they see in SoWal to join them for the beer. I am sure to feel it. Just keep the love going around. That is truely what makes this area what it is. Ask anyone, it is not just the beach. There is plenty of beach around this country, but it is people sharing that makes this area so fun. Keep up the good work.
I love this idea but.....

I have an idea for any bar in the area - awhile back I was sailing the British Virgin Islands and we visited the Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost Van Dyke. The bar had a huge chalk board where you could buy a drink for someone that was local or coming into the area for a vacation and leave payment for a drink for them. You gave the bartender the persons name - your name and date and what kind of drink you were buying - then when the person should up at the Soggy Dollar he had a drink waiting for him. So say I wanted to buy SJ a drink or two - it would read Smiling Joe - Beachlover2 bought you a Guiness on 7/12/05

I would personally love this idea - what better way to pay back locals who have helped you out and wouldn't take anything or maybe even leave a drink or two for renters that are coming in. Sort of a welcome gift.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

Beachlover2 said:

I have an idea for any bar in the area - awhile back I was sailing the British Virgin Islands and we visited the Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost Van Dyke. The bar had a huge chalk board where you could buy a drink for someone that was local or coming into the area for a vacation and leave payment for a drink for them. You gave the bartender the persons name - your name and date and what kind of drink you were buying - then when the person should up at the Soggy Dollar he had a drink waiting for him. So say I wanted to buy SJ a drink or two - it would read Smiling Joe - Beachlover2 bought you a Guiness on 7/12/05

I would personally love this idea - what better way to pay back locals who have helped you out and wouldn't take anything or maybe even leave a drink or two for renters that are coming in. Sort of a welcome gift.
You are a gem. :D

Beach Fan

Beach Crab
Jul 12, 2005

Have enjoyed your emails & photos. Can you give me ANY info on Commodore's retreat condo -beach - pool - we're supposed to arrive the 16th, but don't know if there's anything to arrive to. Thanks

Linda

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005

I would also like to thank everybody for the great information and pictures on this board. I live in Lexington, Kentucky and just bought in Watercolor. I don't know anyone that lives in the area yet but am looking forward to meeting some of you in the future.

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood

Beachlover2 said:

I love the idea! We should see if we can get the Red Bar to start the program! :clap_1:

Waterman

Beach Lover
Jan 11, 2005
Ventura County CA

Smiling JOe said:
Thanks, but I am pooped, so am stopping here for a while. I still have another camera to unload, so it may be a while before I can sort through those. I am heading up to the Mountains tomorrow and may stay put for a couple of weeks if TS Emily comes this way. I enjoy being able to help you guys keep in touch from afar. Major thanks should be directed to Kurt, who is the Man behind all of this, the creator of SoWal.com and GraytonBeach.com. You should be praising this guy, who has gone out of his way to provide this direct link to all. Thanks Kurt!

Well said, I could not have said it better! Thanks Kurt all the way from SoCal. :clap_1:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

kurt said:
Well we can certainly see to it that Oli never has SJ pay for any more beers.
That would be way too cool for me. I would feel a bit too weird, but maybe I could pass my drink on to someone else as I get them. Now that would be more like me. Can we add that feature to the rulebook? - take a drink, leave a drink.