• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
The power of SoWal is revealed yet again! The landline stays.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Paula, thanks for starting this thread ... I've thought about it too.

What about bundling phone with Mediacom cable and internet? Has anyone done this to save some money? I really dislike Mediacom but they are the best option for now; it would be nice to whittle down the expenses.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
While most everyone coming to the beach DOES have a cell phone, I find that many have carriers with crappy reception, and therefore of little use at the beach. What happens when your renter needs medical attention and cannot call 911? Are you liable? (should you be liable is another question.) By the way, I believe if your phone is connected to the working phone line, even after you disconnect service with phone company, dialing 911 still works, because that 911 fund is attached to all phones. Same for cell phones, or so I'm told.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
I took the land line out of one one house and kept it in the larger one. They are near each other. I had the line for years, no one used it. The one time it was used, the person managed to circumvent the long distance filters somehow and call long distance, running up the bill.

I now have a Magic Jack in the house. It costs 19.95 a year, plugs right into the port on a laptop, then you plug the phone line into the tele port. There is no software involved at all. It has 911 service, emails messages to you to listen to right on your computer, and they can call anywhere in the Country, including Canada. If you have sno-birds they will love it. It is all unlimited at the one price. You can pick the area code you want for the phone. It's not listed in any directory if you don't want it to be and there is no software to install.

Bob, on this board, told me about it and I have it at home as well to manage rentals. When they allow you to use your land line number, I will be replacing it at home, since I have had that for 16 years and people can find me that way. I'm going to add one to the other house and remove the land line.
Greatest little gadget for the price. :clap:

magicJack

seacrestgirl

Beach Fanatic
Nov 25, 2006
Griffin, GA and Seacrest
Had not thought about bundling the phone with cable...will look into that! That's what we did at home....huge savings.

I, too, prefer to keep a landline for 911 access. Just makes sense to me. My hubby does not and will not use a cell phone (I know, it drives me nuts!). I know some couples who share a cell when on vacation---due to one person's phone being a work phone, etc.

The Adams

Beach Comber
Jul 7, 2009
I have a small cleaning company that handles beach rentals. All of the rentals I've cleaned have landlines in their unit. Between wishy washy signals and emergencies it's the best bet.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I took the land line out of one one house and kept it in the larger one. They are near each other. I had the line for years, no one used it. The one time it was used, the person managed to circumvent the long distance filters somehow and call long distance, running up the bill.

I now have a Magic Jack in the house. It costs 19.95 a year, plugs right into the port on a laptop, then you plug the phone line into the tele port. There is no software involved at all. It has 911 service, emails messages to you to listen to right on your computer, and they can call anywhere in the Country, including Canada. If you have sno-birds they will love it. It is all unlimited at the one price. You can pick the area code you want for the phone. It's not listed in any directory if you don't want it to be and there is no software to install.

Bob, on this board, told me about it and I have it at home as well to manage rentals. When they allow you to use your land line number, I will be replacing it at home, since I have had that for 16 years and people can find me that way. I'm going to add one to the other house and remove the land line.
Greatest little gadget for the price. :clap:

magicJack

What if your renters do not have a laptop? :dunno: