• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
We frequently consciously chose not to take our computer with us on vacation. What kind of getaway is it really when you're stuck taking work e-mail on your alleged vacation?

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
What if your renters do not have a laptop? :dunno:

It's funny, Kitty, because like I said, I went years, not one, or two, 3 years where not one person used it. I can tell because even the local calls were logged on my bill. Then there have been a few that really haggled the price feigning poverty, but then manage to send me a message from their Blackberries at the beach that a light bulb blew out. I do not even have a blackberry. :roll:

If there is a serious emergency, I have a working land line in short walking distance, and several full time neighbors, all right next door. I tell people there is no land line and about the other land line. Has not been an issue. My houses house several families at once and one of them always has a cell or two. Most people also want internet access. It's their business if they want to computer on vacation. Not something I like doing on vacation, but I do bring my lap top to check business email because I have no choice.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
What if your renters do not have a laptop? :dunno:

We frequently consciously chose not to take our computer with us on vacation. What kind of getaway is it really when you're stuck taking work e-mail on your alleged vacation?

I would never take my laptop on a vacation. :lol:

And I have to say, i sure hope i'd be able to walk over to someone's house if i needed to use a landline in an emergency. :shock::shock:

In all seriousness, I'd be freaking out if I couldn't get to a "real" phone in an emergency.

Last edited by a moderator:

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
Another point when using cell phones to dial 911, you are likely to get emergency services from out of the area. I had this happen in Bham when I called and got Hamilton, AL 911 which is 3-4 hours away. Not to mention the cell phone cannot be traced to the location you are calling from very easily. How many vacation renters could give directions to a pizza delivery guy, let alone emergency services.
I'm just saying....

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
As I stated earlier, if you have a phone line in good repair, and plug in a regular telephone, even if you do not pay for phone service, you should have access to 911, according to a cop who responded to my 911 call from a dead line. (I was more than surprised when the officer showed up within 2 minutes.)

You may want to confirm this with local emergency responders, before relying upon it for your only source for 911.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Yes, the people have spoken. The landlines stay. It does cost over $300 per cottage to keep the landline. So, the high end cable will go and we'll have just 22 channels on the TV which will save a LOT of money (wish we had done this sooner). This keeps rental rates down. And I'll look into bundling the TV, internet, and phone. We have mediacom which has been OK, not great, but no big complaints. One guest in June said the internet was uneven, but didn't seem to be related just to our cottages.

Many of our guests bring their laptops and I bring mine with us to SoWal. How else would I find out what's going on on SoWal.com and in the area (through the calendar/threads/etc.) while we're there?

Thanks for all the advice. SoWal to the rescue once again.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Paula, you should invest in a splitter to run the cable between your two homes. 8) Good idea to forgo the 830 channels because in my experience, there is just as much to watch on the one channel I receive (Ch 13) -- nothing better than a sunset, walk on the beach, or just sitting on the porch listening to the Cicadae sing.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I would never take my laptop on a vacation. :lol:

And I have to say, i sure hope i'd be able to walk over to someone's house if i needed to use a landline in an emergency. :shock::shock:

In all seriousness, I'd be freaking out if I couldn't get to a "real" phone in an emergency.

some people cough cough Mr. Kitty never get a real a vacation and must have a laptop or crackberry. Sad, but true.