Driving on the beach

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by FoX, Mar 23, 2005.

?

Should driving on the beach be banned?

1. yes

51 vote(s)
    58.0%
  2. no

33 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. conditional (give conditions below)

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

were you able to buy delta at that price? i see its up 18%.....
    (from graytonbound)

2. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    My broker advised against it! He thinks they're going under. I am so scared for my brother, all of the other Delta employees, and the city of Atlanta. :'(

I'm watching online. Somebody just bid $1.05 - OOPS - now 15 cents per share!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2005
  3. Chief Deputy TC

Chief Deputy TC Beach Comber

4. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

:welcome:

5. Bdarg

Bdarg Beach Fanatic

After all of the hurricanes that Grayton has endured in the past few years and the two large holes in the dunes that are maintained to allow vehicle access, the impact of the occasional oil drip in minuscule. I think we should focus our worries on rebuilding the dunes and keeping them in good shape.

6. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Honey, are you trying to get us back on track here?? :lol:

7. Bdarg

Bdarg Beach Fanatic

I thought it might be worth a try, but the MBADD (Message Board Attention Deficit Disorder) is hard to battle. :dunno:

8. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

I'm goingto tear myself away now and get ready for work- I'll call ya from the car.

You will fight a losing battle with the MBADD.

9. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

There is help, FAMBADD...Families Against Message Board Attention Deficit Disorders.

10. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

:clap_1: :clap_1: :clap_1:

11. Bdarg

Bdarg Beach Fanatic

I am sure that there is some sort of 12 mess... ...I mean step program out there somewhere. I will have to do a internet search... ...I am sure there is a message board out there that deals with it.

12. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Good luck...I'm afraid that most of us are too far gone for intervention at this point! But, bdarg...I like your style!!!

13. Franny

Franny Beach Fanatic

SJ, "The rule states that you must be a Walton County property owner OR a full time resident." I thought you had to be a 'property owner' in order to obain a permit.

14. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

You are correct, Franny. I must have misspoke. You must be a property owner in Walton Co. Thanks for keeping me straight. ;-) I must have been thinking about the requirements for fishing licenses when fishing from land.

15. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

Now this is just too dam funny :funn:

16. Cil

Cil Beach Fanatic

The first time I saw vehicles on the beach here, my jaw dropped.
    I don't see anyone launching boats where we go (St Joseph Peninsula.)

Frankly I don't see what the "recreation" is, but then I've never really taken part in America's love affair with automobiles. I know it's a time-honored custom and all, but yes, it creeps me out a bit. Every time there is a car rumbling behind me, I find myself nervously looking over my shoulder to make sure I am not in their way. The drivers are very polite and friendly and obviously they are not going to mow me down. They drive along, stop, get out and rummage through the shells and driftwood, then get back in and drive some more.
    And yes, I'll see other folks who drove in with their coolers and such.
    Why can't they park in the lot and hand-carry their coolers? Because they don't have to. Why use your feet when you've got wheels?
    I pick up a lot of stuff but I don't think the cars leave any more trash than pedestrians.
    I think it is all about people loving their cars. I don't really understand this, but then there are probably other people who don't understand why I love my dogs and enjoy having them on the beach. Different strokes.

17. aquaticbiology

aquaticbiology fishlips

Gotta be a troll just to get the old post count up, but, oh well, you asked for it - here's both barrels (And thanks, I could do with a good vent, with all the stress of Christmas and family and traveling and all! Hope somebody's making the popcorn!). OK, lets see:

"Greasy, polluting, heavy, and harmful - that about describes it. It's not only wrong to do it esthetically, it's just wrong to do it, period.

From the unseen sea turtle eggs you just crushed that would have survived to swim the sea lanes for up to 100 years or more, to the ghost crabs that try so hard to scatter out of the way of your great crashing tires but just can't make it in time, to the drunken antics of a screaming horde of monkey's butts; the beach should be a getaway, not a parking lot, racetrack, or three-ring-circus complete with props.

"Watch all these fat clowns pile out of that one little SUV! Oh, ho-ho-ho-ho-ho! And look at the size of their COOLER! Oh, ho-ho-ho-ho-ho! Oops! There goes one face down! I guess he shouldn'ta had that last maragarita! Oh, ho-ho-ho-ho-ho!"

All fun(n) aside, I suppose I do have a caveat or two, that vehicles on a beach where construction equipment roams daily, what's the difference?

And since I wouldn't be caught dead on a beach with cars, tents, or even that many people, what business is it of mine?

Give me a backpack with a picnic feast, two beach towels and six pack of solidly frozen water in it and I'll see you around.

I'll be relaxed and happy and you will be all so crabby and coughing and just plain mean.

And while you're at it, get the #$%^ @# cop's suv off my beach too.

They can use the stupid helicopter that my wildly overvalued property taxes paid for to check for sleeping vagrants, or whatever it is they look for, when they drive around wasting fuel and blasting out low-level ozone and lung-bleaching carbon monoxide.

They should be picking up all the garbage and *anything* left overnight on the beach and not sticking their big polluting nose into my stretch of it."

Oh, I do feel better. Thanks for the invite, couldn't have come at a better time. Have a nice day and Merry @#$%^& Christmas!

18. Beachlover2

Beachlover2 Beach Fanatic

AB:

Good one :clap_1: :clap_1:

19. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Oh ab...you need a Christmas Hug!!! I do agree with most of what you said...the parts I can follow!

20. aquaticbiology

aquaticbiology fishlips

Thanks! We have 8 cats and one dumb dog so I get plenty of loving! And, of course, my best friend, roomate (and so much more) of 14 years! Feel that Christmas spirit!

edited to get out of the dog house!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005