• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I agree Jenny. I find it sad that another local, specialty shop is on its way out...I loved going there just to walk around. I always felt better afterwards...the energy was good.

zip3

Beach Lover
Jul 24, 2010
I went to the nursery today and bought some things. Guess this is a sign of the times that they are going out of business. All the banks around here are out to screw us. Most of the banks got millions of dollars in either tarp or bail out money to help small business to weather these tough economic times. Yet, none have done this. It seems they have instead decided not to work with us.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
They are working on opening up a new Lowe's this side of Destin Commons. They have lots of plants.

Sorry, that is one step up from Wal-mart.

I want the local shop with native plants and fun accessories who know me (and my brown thumb).

The only things that survive in my garden are heirlooms, palmettos, and plants they've sold me.

Carol G

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Point Washington
Lowe's is fine I guess for bedding plants or flowers for pots and such. But most of their stuff is not native, and/or won't tolerate our growing conditions- I could see the same inventory at any Lowe's in the country. Plus their employees never seem to know much about how to grow their plants in NW coastal Florida.

I learned that the hard way this spring... I thought I'd save some money by buying plants from another national big-box store (not Lowe's). The guy that helped me was really nice, but clearly had no idea what he was talking about. Everything I planted, based on his recommendations, was dead by summer.

Now, I am sure my lack of gardening skills is partially to blame... but I can say that my neighbor, a long time gardener, once I was finished putting everything in the ground, looked at every single plant, laughed at me and said "why would you pick those? None of those will grow well here... good luck!"

Money wasted, lesson learned. I should have gone to Eastern Lake Nursery, and I'm sad I won't have that chance next year.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
It was really nice to have them in the neighborhood. I'm really sorry to see them close. Friendly folks, helpful advice, native plants, handy source of pine straw, selection of gifts-pots-chemicals-tools. And, I'll miss the dove and the cat.

gbdreams

Beach Comber
Nov 27, 2004
Grayton Beach
Let's hope the business owner has received some compensation from the BP fund. Of course that'd be small consolation for the nursery staff, who clearly loved their jobs and will presumably be unemployed after next week.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
I learned that the hard way this spring... I thought I'd save some money by buying plants from another national big-box store (not Lowe's). The guy that helped me was really nice, but clearly had no idea what he was talking about. Everything I planted, based on his recommendations, was dead by summer.

Now, I am sure my lack of gardening skills is partially to blame... but I can say that my neighbor, a long time gardener, once I was finished putting everything in the ground, looked at every single plant, laughed at me and said "why would you pick those? None of those will grow well here... good luck!"

Money wasted, lesson learned. I should have gone to Eastern Lake Nursery, and I'm sad I won't have that chance next year.

The previous owners at our house put in a lawn, shrubs, trees, etc. All none-native. All now either dead, struggling, or high-maintenance.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
Sorry to hear that. We always stopped in and tried to buy an object for our yard or a gift for someone else's yard. Never a plant.
(I remember looking for 'elephant ear' bulbs at the Lowe's near my home. The person working there told me there wasn't such a thing! I plant them occassionally and know that they start with bulbs. They had the plants. Just didn't know how they got started. I found some at Costco this year. Planted them near my deck. Toward the end of summer, couldn't get near our table and chairs! If I plant them again, I'll plant fewer.) Ellen