Emergency BCC Meeting - 8/1/05

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by For The Health Of It, Jul 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

2. JB

JB Beach Fanatic

Cool site, Kurt. Thanks for the link.

FINALLY, an intelligent approach. Maybe the county is growing some smarts after all. But I don't see any way they can fund this project without a tax increase.

3. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I don't think the County is purchasing this system.

4. JB

JB Beach Fanatic

Of course not. It makes too much sense. They'll just continue the ol' band aid-on-a-gunshot-wound approach. Maybe when waves are breaking over 30-A during the next storm, they may try a more well thought-out approach.

5. OhioBeachBum

OhioBeachBum Beach Fanatic

stuff does look pretty well thought out. wondering though, about this:
    "S.D.R.S tm can be engineered to any height but is always graded at a patented 3 to 1 angle for maximal wave protection."
    i knew the patent system was getting pretty screwy lately, but can one actually patent a 3 to one angle :D

6. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Any idea on cost? I would think the larger developments would look at this very seriously after the monies spent after Ivan. Anyone out there hear if WaterColor is considering this? Who at Arvida/St. Joe would be in charge of this? If I don't hear anything back, I will make some calls later.

7. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Did not read the whole link yet, but your quote sounds like they had an interpreter write the copy.

8. OhioBeachBum

OhioBeachBum Beach Fanatic

translation from southern to western flordianian is always a challange. ;-)

9. Richard

Richard Beach Comber

I have no real knowledge of this system and therefore have no opinion for or against it. I am happy new potential solutions are being looked at by the county and local residents. I do know that both the DEP and U.S Fish and Wildlife say the systems do not work. The county asked the DEP about using it and were told no.

10. keysnative

keysnative Beach Crab

Hi Donna...you sound very informed so I will ask you. Do you get the minutes from the county's website or are they mailed directly to you?
    For anyone....in the issue of Walton County This Month, many of us have never heard of Ms. Shamel, Ms. Sokoloff and Ms. Lois La Seur-planning manager. Has there been even more employee turnover at the County?
    There are so many people talking about the state of our beaches, the sometimes odd positions held by the county officials, staff and interest groups, high employee turnover and no affordable housing for area employees. Cannot help but to be embarassed about the negatives, just curious to see if anyone else feels the same. Don't get me wrong, there is no better scenery or people in SoWal.

11. SHELLY

SHELLY SoWal Insider

Pre-Ivan (2002), Sans Souci Condos in Pensacola had severe erosion problems for many, many years (the Gulf had already taken away their decking, tennis court and was working on their parking lot). The residents paid a company to put these type of Protec-tubes in the water near their condo. Everything was rosy for a little while until a minimal Tropical Storm hit. The contractors were caught out in the middle of the storm tossing asphalt pieces from the broken parking lot into the Gulf to shore-up the broken tubes. They were stopped by the law and had to remove the asphalt and the tattered remains of their tubes from the Gulf. (Lesson: Man is NO match for the power of Mother Nature.)

http://www.floridacapitalnews.com/erosion/stories/risky3.htm

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
  12. aquaticbiology

aquaticbiology fishlips

just the tubes is half a system - they cant handle waves, and we all know what half a system means in one way or another - 'dem semiholes shore doo'

picture pretty much sez it all - too little too late with too little to work with

stuff left out overnight again about to get washed away <assuming low tide since why bother scraping to hugh tide> - just another junkyard beach nowadays - just makes me sick to see it :bang:

I've been offered a full time position with a major aquaculture player - freshwater, just a little farther from panhandle and scary dam good money - thanks SoWal message board! you never know who's reading your posts.

13. Richard

Richard Beach Comber

Attached is a report the DEP contracted on the protect tube in Gulf County.

Notes:
    Protect tubes are designed for 5 to 10 year storms not hurricanes

At the site in Gulf County, erosion was about the same as adjacent unprotected properties.

At the site, after hurricane Ivan flanks were installed on either end and
    they resulted in additional erosion

At the site, erosion was induced landward of the structure (lee side) and
    a trench under the homes was created. Since this report was filed a retaining wall has been constructed landward of the protect tube.

14. Rita

Rita margarita brocolia

:cool: Very interesting!

15. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

Congratulations, marinebiology451. Keep SoWal in mind as you learn new stuff that's good for the beaches!

16. Bob

Bob SoWal Insider

You are "rich". Your property is worth seven figures. At least until the next storm hits. I would, if I were you, be thinking about the powerful lesson mother nature has taught. The beach cannot be "improved". Anything done to forestall nature can be undone in less than a day. If your home is "marketable", I would be weighing options. Being offended doesn't help your situation. Ultimately, if your home is gulf front, your real address is Las Vegas, because to stay is to gamble that you may be unlucky and lose a very valuable asset. If it were me , I would make lemonade and sell. This is going to be tough for you. I wish you luck either way.

17. Bob

Bob SoWal Insider

What saved the beach after Opal was that there were no more powerful storms until this past year.

18. sarawind

sarawind Beach Fanatic

It's good to have people like you. Thank you for you insightful and intelligent opinions.

19. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Let me see. House on large lot on the Bay, five minutes to Grayton ... $1.5 Million. House falling into the Gulf at the arrival of next storm, maybe $3.8 M today, or maybe $1 M two months from now. Hmmm?

So you mean I could have a nice house on a large lot on the Bay which doesn't need to be painted every two years, and pocket a couple Mill? :blink: :shock: Surely you are not suggesting that I could rent a Gulf-front beach house for a month or two or three every year with the extra cash if I really missed living on the Gulf? Are you out of your mind? I really want to own Gulf-front.

20. Bob

Bob SoWal Insider

Thank you, hardship brings the best out of most people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.