• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seagrovechick

Beach Comber
Dec 23, 2004
RiverOtter said:
Market Cafe - What's good there? Driven by several times but never stopped.

I am a local who eats at Seagrove Market all the time. I like the no-nonsense, unpretentious atmosphere. The prices are good at lunch and high at dinner, but other than subbing fries for a baked potato, the menu is essentially the same all day. Unless you can sit outside, it is not a good place for a big group as there are only 2- and 4-person tables inside. The fried grouper is awesome! The grilled is also good if you want to save a few calories (which I wouldn't recommend on vacation). The shrimp po boy (fried) is great as well. Whatever you do, make sure you order a side of hush puppies -- they are to die for! Oh, and I actually think they have one of the best cheeseburgers on 30A and it is an inexpensive menu item. Hope that helps!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
seagrovechick said:
RiverOtter said:
The fried grouper is awesome! The grilled is also good if you want to save a few calories (which I wouldn't recommend on vacation). The shrimp po boy (fried) is great as well. Whatever you do, make sure you order a side of hush puppies -- they are to die for! Oh, and I actually think they have one of the best cheeseburgers on 30A and it is an inexpensive menu item.

Remember that you still have to fit into your swimsuit after eating.

seagrovechick said:
RiverOtter said:

I am a local who eats at Seagrove Market all the time. I like the no-nonsense, unpretentious atmosphere. The prices are good at lunch and high at dinner, but other than subbing fries for a baked potato, the menu is essentially the same all day. Unless you can sit outside, it is not a good place for a big group as there are only 2- and 4-person tables inside. The fried grouper is awesome! The grilled is also good if you want to save a few calories (which I wouldn't recommend on vacation). The shrimp po boy (fried) is great as well. Whatever you do, make sure you order a side of hush puppies -- they are to die for! Oh, and I actually think they have one of the best cheeseburgers on 30A and it is an inexpensive menu item. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the recommend! When we finally get down there I'll make sure we eat there. This trip (whenever it is :roll: ) will include severa new restaurants. :cool: and SmilinJOe is right. Probably have the grilled grouper just to keep an eye on my school boy figure :D

Updated:

So what we have so far is: (in no particular order)

Cafe 30A $$$$
The Terrace $$$$
Fish Out Of Water $$$$
Smiling Fish Cafe $$$
Summer Kitchen / Blue By Night ( :roll: 2 names :dunno: ) $$ and $$$$
Criollas $$$$
Royal Orchid
Angelina's $$
Cafe Tango
Bloom's Cafe
Piccolo's Restaurant (Red Bar) $$$
Basmati's
3 - Thirty - 1
Luna Del Mar $$$
Yianni's
Snapperheads
Pandora's
Market Cafe
Shades
Fishbones
Barago

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Last summer the Sea Bar was more or less serving the Red Bar/3-Thirty-1 lunch menu during dinner hours. It was nice to be able to get a good fish sandwich during dinner hours.

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
Okay, this is *my* specialty. If you Google my restaurant review website, it appears on the first page.

Here are my recommendations:

PRICEY RESTAURANTS:
My all-time favorite is Bud & Alley's. They just *know* what to do with fresh herbs and seafood. I was in heaven on my last visit with grilled fish, vegetables, and fresh rosemary. The pasta special was back to its awesome self with a rosemary-garlic broth and fresh seafood. However, sometimes the restaurant can really be disappointing - there seems to be a correlation between off nights and when the owner isn't there. On one visit I wondered what the h--- was that dollop of goat cheese on the pasta all about? I mean, it didn't relate.

Caf? 30-A is my husband's favorite. The menu is varied, and their martinis are killer!

We also like Caf? Tango, especially that nut-encrusted grouper dish.

We enjoy eating at the bar at Borago. I'm really picky about my Italian food because my daughter and I specialize in cooking Tuscan food after learning to love it on our trips to Italy. Borago actually measures up to our standards.

LESS-EXPENSIVE RESTAURANTS:
We adore Shades. We go there so much that it's embarrassing. My husband loves the fried grouper sandwich, and I adore the catch salad. The house dressing is awesome. I have been tempted many times to steal a bottle - LOL.

We also like Market Caf?. The hushpuppies are the best ever. My hairdresser who owns a salon in Buckhead and a house in Seacrest actually stops by Market Caf? to pick up hushpuppies on his way back to Atlanta.

Bruno's Pizza is so much better than any pizza I've ever had, except perhaps the thin-crusted pizza with microgreens at Floataway Caf? in Atlanta (but that's on a higher culinary plane). I get pizza by the slice there ($1 per slice), and I can have a nice lunch for $1-2 if I cheap out and drink water.

We really like Luna Del Mar because we have an obsession with Mexican food and they do a great job with it, but honestly that place is so noisy that it makes me feel like I'm about to have a seizure - I just can't tolerate it. If you go there, bring ear plugs.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
phdphay said:
Okay, this is *my* specialty. If you Google my restaurant review website, it appears on the first page.

Good info Gator. What website are you talking about?

I agree with your reviews, especially Borago. I haven't eaten at Shades that much.

taterbaby

Beach Lover
Feb 18, 2005
ok-has anyone figured out what phdphay was talking about-her restaurant review website. I have not been able to find it.

taterbaby

Beach Lover
Feb 18, 2005
vacationers

Hey Guys-For those of you that have just returned-give us some updates on the great food. Do you have any new favorites? Are there any new ones we should add to the list or were you disappointed with anything.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
Does any restaurant have a Sunday brunch? Many years ago we would go to the Treasure Ship in Panama City, but they discontinued that one. Hate to go into Panama City for anything now.

Status
Not open for further replies.