Favorite restaurants

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by taterbaby, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phdphay

phdphay Beach Fanatic

Are they pricey?

2. Kathryn

Kathryn Beach Comber

Last night, we went to The Old Florida Fish House, on Eastern Lake. I had thought by the name it would be more of an old time casual fish house but it is more upscale than that. Not over the top or fancy, just very pretty inside. The service was great. The signiture dish, "Fish House Grouper", was awesome. Sauteed grouper with lump crab and 2 shrimp on top. mmm. It was $19.95 al a carte. The small side salad of greens and blue cheese was $2.95. The little sea turtle had the corn and crab bisque ($3.50) and the grilled swordfish (22.95). He loved them both! Not cheap but priced fairly for this area and really fresh. Most entrees ranged from $15.95 to 22.95 (about like Cafe 30 -A) I would recommend this restaurant!!

Louie's Seafood on 98 past Carillon (on the right with a smoker out front) has one of the best shrimp Po'Boys around. $6.95 and I (almost) couldn't eat the whole thing! Someone had fried crawfish platter and it was great, too.

During these Hurricane Repair days, I would like to encourage other locals to continue to frequent the many restaurants and merchants in the area that depend on the summer income to survive.

3. Travel2Much

Travel2Much Beach Lover

Do they have non-seafood options, for those who don't want a seafood dish (I know, horrors, but there are these types)?

4. CajunGal

CajunGal Beach Comber

In Destin itself (or Holiday isle) what are the best Non-Chain places to eat?

WE've tried the Back Porch(mostly fried) and a few others that were just 'ok". Of course I'm from Louisisana, so we have great food here & I'm picky. :lol:

5. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    We used to love Flamingo Cafe and Marina Cafe, but I don't know if they're there anymore or still good. Once we discovered 30-A, we rarely go to Destin.

6. Beachlover2

Beachlover2 Beach Fanatic

Try Louisiana Lagniappe on Holiday Isle- was excellent last time we were there (last fall).

7. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

RO - I like Smiling Fish too! In fact, Smiling Fish Cafe is my favorite on 30-A. Best grouper sandwiches (fried or grilled) and fries, best burger, best salads of any kind (salmon, duck, grilled chicken, panko shrimp, etc.), po-boys and other sandwiches, beautiful comfort food. Casual place with very friendly staff. Owner/chef George is from Louisiana and knows all about good food. Indoor and outdoor seating. :D

We also enjoy Borago's (gourmet Italian), Pandora's (steaks), Royal Orchid (Thai), and of course - Coco's Mexican Restaurant (great family place). :razz:

Wheelhouse? Listen to Camp Creek Kid. Do not even think about it.

8. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

For Destin proper, we really like La Paz for good & fresh Mexican. I'm a sucker for their made to order black bean soup, and their prices are very reasonable. By far the best Mexican or Tex/Mex in Okaloosa County.

Osaka for Japanese and sushi.

Ciao Bella for Italian. Best thin crust pizza in the area.

McGuire's for American/seafood. Good year-round, but tends to be even better in the off season when it's only their core staff is working there.

Bonefish Grill for seafood. Yeah it's a chain, but it holds its own against the locals.

Quick bites- Publix subs; Panera Bread or Zoe's at Destin Commons.

Back Porch, Pompano Joe's, Louisiana Langiappe, and Gratzi are all owned by the same people. And IMO, tend to coast by on location rather than food quality. Decent enough fish, but cheapest possible starches. I'm picky about bread, and feel like the sandwich buns are sweet enough to taste close to cotton candy.

9. CajunGal

CajunGal Beach Comber

Thank you!

LaPaz is right near our condo & my gang loves Mexican!
    I've always wanted to try Panerra bread.

10. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Louisianna lagniappe is very popular and I've enjoyed it. Might not be up to a cajun's standards but never heard complaints. It's not downhome - a bit fancy and is a great spot on the water.

Marina Cafe on the harbor.
    404 East Highway 98
    Destin, Florida 32541
    (850) 837-7960

Destin Chops on the harbor.
    414 East Highway 98
    (850) 654-4944

La Paz - good Mexican.
    950 Gulf Shore Drive
    (850) 837-2247

Callahan's has been a local favorite for lunch for many years.

11. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

I have been to La Paz and Louisianna Lagniappe, Both are favorites but haven't been in a while cause of the drive.

12. drsvelte

drsvelte Beach Fanatic

We have been going to Marina Cafe for years - it is an excellent fine-dining restaurant. No fried food here.

From Louisiana too, so I know what your saying ;-)

edit: Flamingo Cafe closed up last year and Destin Chops moved in (same ownership as Marina Cafe). Louisiana Lagniappe was originally started by a Louisiana transplant and the food was great. He sold the restaurant a few years ago, moved back to Baton Rouge and re-opened an LL there.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2005
  13. beachma

beachma Beach Lover

Does anyone in the Seagrove/Grayton/Blue Mt. Beach area have fried shrimp that comes close to what Nicks used to have? Their shrimp was the best...we miss it!

14. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

In an eariler post someone said Smiling Fish had good fried shrimps (Bubba Gump)

15. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

we don't really have your basic fried seafood in SW, except Seagrove Market. I do miss Nick's. :sosad:

16. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    To drsvelte: Thanks for the update regarding Flamingo Cafe.

To others: I forgot about La Paz. It's good, but it's a chain - I've been to one in Atlanta. Check out http://www.lapaz.com. I think CajunGal was looking for non-chain restaurants in Destin. But then there are some chains that I like, such as Houston's and Pappasito's.

17. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

In Destin, I'm very fond of Landry's. I'm even fonder in the off-season, when you don't have to wait 45 minutes.

I do appreciate this thread too - it's very useful even when you are local, especially if you spend most of your time on or north of 98. You guys have talked me into forcing a family outing to the Smiling Fish Cafe and probably Yianni's too!

18. OhioBeachBum

OhioBeachBum Beach Fanatic

Ditto that! I'm dumping the whole thread to a tree to take along for next week! (beach is one week out of the year the electronics & I part company :D)

19. wilsonlc

wilsonlc Beach Comber

Bayou Bills on 98 between Grayton - Destin has the basic fried whatever-you-want seafood.

20. SGB

SGB Beach Fanatic

Went to Blue Orleans yesterday for lunch. Their lunch specials were the dinners that they will be serving starting next Thursday. Had the crawfish cakes and they were delicious! Cajun type food. Lunches were about $8-$11. THey serve breakfast until 2pm, so that works well to feed the kids. Casual atmosphere for lunch. Not sure about the wine. Met the owner and he seems to be fun guy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.