• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
So..............if these are the same four bears they have traveled eastbound from Satinwood to Co Hwy 83 since 11/12?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
So..............if these are the same four bears they have traveled eastbound from Satinwood to Co Hwy 83 since 11/12?

Not to surprising. Apparently they have a 20-100 mile range and that's one of the reasons they don't relocate them since they just come back like homing pigeons.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I went back yesterday to the spot where the bear encounter occurred looking for tracks. I found a few. I made a plaster cast of mom's front paw. I also made a cast of what I thought was one of the cub's tracks, but after looking at it I think it is more likely a large dog's (possibly a cub's hind foot though). I'm thinking mom kept the kids in the woods while she dumpster dove, so they didn't cross the sandy spot like mom did.:cool:

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
I went back yesterday to the spot where the bear encounter occurred looking for tracks. I found a few. I made a plaster cast of mom's front paw. I also made a cast of what I thought was one of the cub's tracks, but after looking at it I think it is more likely a large dog's (possibly a cub's hind foot though). I'm thinking mom kept the kids in the woods while she dumpster dove, so they didn't cross the sandy spot like mom did.:cool:

Wow, very cool!

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I bet he left skid marks, and I'm not talking on the ground!

:lolabove::rotfl:

Naah, I'm not scared of black bears. I know the area well enough to know I had plenty of room to back up and I knew not to get between mom and cubs. I did, however, track the bears into the woods yesterday and found this along their path. Now who is making who poo?:lol:

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
DEP's apparently got a checklist of what it takes to be classified as a 'bad bear'. And if they reach that status, which is not a given even if you see them around people a lot, there's apparently a Bad Bear Woods in Apalachicola National Forest where they'll be relocated to for one last chance because it's as far from human settlement as you can get in the panhandle to see if they'll stay put and not interact with the humans so much.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I tracked the bears into the woods today. Found lots of poop, some old, some new, and I will spare you the pics. I may have found their burrow, I didn't go close enough to provoke whatever is living in there (and something is). The area I went would be great for bears-there is food, water and sleeping quarters!

Last edited:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
The bear strategy is dumpster dive or raid garbage cans and drag it into the woods for consumption. I found the Robert's grocery bag way back in the woods, along what I took to be the bear trail. The pic with the black trash bag isn't as deep in the woods but is interesting because it looks like the bears pushed over the green bamboo at the base. Bamboo shoots? Bugs? Who knows. I found the trash can way back in the swamp. I doubt bears took it back there, more likely floated into Western Lake during one of the hurricanes and came to rest in the woods!

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
OK, I can't resist sharing a poop pic. I am pretty sure this is bear scat, it might be deer, but I don't think so. I hope it is bear scat because it is both relatively fresh and full of acorns and seeds, stuff they should be eating instead of trash!

Last edited: