• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
St. Joe Comp. donated the land where the current Sacred Heart Hosp. sits. If I'm not mistaken (someone will surely correct me if I am) there was a feasibility study done back in the day when Sacred Heart was being considered for Walton County...hence it's at the other end of the County.

Correct, JOE did donate the land, but that says a lot about Sacred Heart. The land is the cheap part of a hospital.

Of course Defuniak may just be waiting on the North Bay Sector Plan as that calls for the largest hospital in the panhandle.

P.S. That hospital will be a teaching hospital in conjunction with the FSU Medical School.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
As reported on WZEP AM 1460:

HRMC FDOT Still Not In Agreement

While the widening of U.S. 331 is ongoing, the only hospital within 30 miles of DeFuniak Springs still says they have concerns about the state’s plans to take property needed for expansion.

In a statement provided by the hospital, Healthmark Regional Medical Center says they want residents to be aware that the September 15, 2014 issue of the Northwest Florida Daily News carried a front page story titled “Healthmark drops fight on U.S. 331 plan,” written by Tom McLaughlin. The article states, “A second plan was drawn up that would move the road about 180 feet farther west of the emergency room entrance.” The hospital says this is incorrect. They say the second plan moves the road only 60 feet to the west and it still maintains all four lanes on the eastern side. It does not use the existing highway at all.

According to Healthmark, the slight change does nothing to address their concerns regarding the continued safe delivery of health care during construction or the serious impact on the hospital’s ability to grow to meet the future health care needs of the community. They say that as a compromise, it is meaningless.

Added to the many reasons already outlined in local media such as the Herald, WZEP Radio and WTVY-TV4, hospital officials were also unable to endorse the Florida Department of Transportation’s second plan because FDOT stated it would result in a two-year delay of the project and cause yet another traffic bottleneck on the highway, in addition to the four that already exist. Hospital officials were surprised to see that while nothing about this second plan has changed since it was presented, FDOT no longer believes it will require a two-year delay or traffic bottleneck.

We wish to thank the Herald, WZEP and WTVY for their fair and balanced coverage of this issue.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Seems I remember Clayton Adkinson being quoted and referenced as a board member of the hospital regarding dropping of its opposition.