• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
Thanks..I still feel like a "lurker" on this board. Trying to warm up.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Smiling JOe said:
Grayton Corners has 1/4#hot dogs, and you can get a dog, chips and big drink for around $3.50.

The problem with the delivery service is that with the price of gasoline and labor, it would be difficult to keep money in the pocket.

Thanks. Fantastic for Grayton Corners! I'm sure we'll be going there quite a bit with the kids.

Does anyone know of any other under $5.00 meals for kids/adults in SoWal?

I don't care much for chains. Don't care much for Starbuck's.
I hate McDonald's.
I try to support mom-and-pop type places.
Of course, I married a guy who is a chain's best customer. :roll: :D
Some people like that kind of predictability and convenience.
Thing is, I am old enough to remember that I once survived just fine without it.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
I don't care what the price of gas is, I absolutely do NOT mind driving to PCB to get to the chains I patronize--Target, Lowes, and Home Depot--etc. If we have those kinds of stores within a half hour drive, why do they need to be any closer?

As far as chain restaurants, one of the big lures of 30-A has always been the lack of them! Why on earth would I drive 13+ hours to the beach to eat at a restaurant that I can eat at, at home? (Not that I do.) I know the restaurant business is a very tough one and that many good independents don't make it, but it's not for the lack of my business! I hope that the chain mentality does not strike 30-A and take it over, squeezing out the mom and pops. It's up to us who live and vacation on 30-A to continue giving business to the unique restaurants that are here, if we want to see them thrive.

Seasider

Beach Lover
Nov 27, 2004
I appreciate the decision that Robert Davis made to exclude chain stores and restaurants from Seaside.

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
Mermaid said:
I don't care what the price of gas is, I absolutely do NOT mind driving to PCB to get to the chains I patronize--Target, Lowes, and Home Depot--etc. If we have those kinds of stores within a half hour drive, why do they need to be any closer?

As far as chain restaurants, one of the big lures of 30-A has always been the lack of them! Why on earth would I drive 13+ hours to the beach to eat at a restaurant that I can eat at, at home? (Not that I do.) I know the restaurant business is a very tough one and that many good independents don't make it, but it's not for the lack of my business! I hope that the chain mentality does not strike 30-A and take it over, squeezing out the mom and pops. It's up to us who live and vacation on 30-A to continue giving business to the unique restaurants that are here, if we want to see them thrive.

Mermaid you have described my feelings exactly. Part of the charm of 30-A is the fact that almost none of the chains have crept onto 30-A. I love Starbucks coffee and Subway sandwiches and many other chains but I don't want them on 30-A. We do appreciate the grocery store (Publix) so close although we didn't mind going to Winn Dixie in West PCB before it opened at WaterColor Crossing. IMO, keep them in Destin, PCB, and out on 98 and we will be just fine.

:cool:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
SlowMovin said:
Too late. They're already here.

I was so upset to see the Starbucks go in at Uptown Grayton. I scorn it each time I pass it and hope no one goes there!!!! I was wondering if they got in because they don't "front" 30-A or because they sell in store at WC Market? Is there an end to this....or is this the beginning of the end?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Sueshore said:
I was so upset to see the Starbucks go in at Uptown Grayton. I scorn it each time I pass it and hope no one goes there!!!! I was wondering if they got in because they don't "front" 30-A or because they sell in store at WC Market? Is there an end to this....or is this the beginning of the end?

To my knowledge, Starbucks and St Joe are not an item. I believe the Starbucks in this area are owned by Sandestin Resort.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
One way to at least try to minimize chains is to avoid them if they're in the area and instead give even better support to the small business owners in the area so they can stay in business. Of course, the managers of the chains are often local people trying to make a living as well, but the chains just don't seem to fit on 30A.