• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
I think Florida is still technically under a state of emergency, so the gas stations really can't raise their prices all that much, something like only a 10% increase until that is lifted, or the gas sellers can convince Jeb! that they can raise prices.

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
"Panic" buying in Atlanta was rampant today in many stations. The radio talk show host on 750AM was talking about a rumour was started yesterday or today that caused the "panic". The rumour that they were calling an "urban legend" was that gas stations in Atlanta would be shutting down tomorrow due to shortages. The host was saying that it was all a myth and the gas price increases at some stations (price gauging), the Colonial gas pipeline pump breakdown, and the Governor declaring a state of emergency to stop price gauging, caused the panic. Also, an email was going around for 2 weeks or so (before the Hurricane) to "boycott" buying gas tomorrow to protest high prices and a caller that called in was saying that he thought that started the "panic".

Reports from people travelling thru Orlando and other places said that pumps or stations were closed. I petro tanker driver called in and said that there was plenty of gas at the storage facilities but that because everyone in Atlanta raced to fill up or top off all at once that it cause too much demand for what was available or they could not truck it in fast enough.

So, I do not know what to believe. :dunno: :dunno:

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
DTinTexas said:
Here in the Dallas area there are no lines at the gas stations. I just bought premium for $2.83. Come to think of it I am a real idiot . . . I just put premium in a dealership's loaner car! UGH!
I actually made out today on some free gas. Took my wife's Toyota minivan in on a seatbelt recall, and as the service writer was telling me to come back when parts are available, another service writer backed into the rear bumper, scraping the paint. Bottom line: A little free touch up paint, free loaner, and a free tank of gas for the van. Yeah, the loaner car comes back dry. Now where's that siphon????? ps gas went up here today about 25 cents/2.79 reg

sarahj

Beach Lover
Aug 27, 2005
Arkansas/Fl.
www.vrbo.com
Driving into Ft. Smith, Ar. this morning for doctor appointment we noticed gas was 2.69 for regular. Filled up on our way home about 3 p.m. and regular was 2.99 and we had to pay 3.25 for premium. Talked to people in doctors office and most said they did have plans for week-end but due to gas situation were going to stay home. Told my husband to bring home his golf cart and I would drive it around for errands. He said,"You can't do that because it doesn't have turn signals." I said, " Have you forgotten that we learned to drive using hand signals?" :roll:

katie blue

kt loo
Mar 11, 2005
in perpetual motion
Smiling JOe said:
Well, Katie Blue, I guess you can get an tube and a six pack and float down the Hooch, if you are in ATL. Whatever you and everyone else do, I hope you have fun.:D
Joe, I don't even know if anyone shoots the hooch anymore. It's not the cleanest river these days. And I have to admit, under the circumstances, a nice DRY weekend sounds like the ticket. If you know what I mean.

However, IF I can't get to the mountains this weekend, AND gas is available that way, I might just come down to SoWal and help out at the Red Cross refugee shelter in Panama City. I talked to them today and they need hands. (850 763-6587) But i'd need to assure that gas would be available in the panhandle. Thanks in advance for anyone who can keep me in the loop.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
This is what I heard on the radio: The Panama City gas distribution center has a 3-day supply (this doesn't include the gas in the pumps at the stations). There is more gas on the way, but it is on barges coming out of Mobile and they have to wait for Coast Guard clearance before they can leave. So, the new supply may or may not get here in time.

This is what I heard on the street: The Tomb Thumb in Seagrove may run out of gas today. I just topped off my tank there and several people were filling up all kinds of gas cans. If people wouldn't HOARD the gas, there would be plenty for everyone to have what they need until the supply is back up to normal.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Camp Creek Kid said:
... I just topped off my tank there and several people were filling up all kinds of gas cans. If people wouldn't HOARD the gas, there would be plenty for everyone to have what they need until the supply is back up to normal..

Exactly, let's stop topping off the tanks. I have not touched a gas pump since the H. Katrina. I am limiting my driving, too.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
By-the-way, I got gas because I needed it (at 1/4 tank), not because I was in a panic.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Camp Creek Kid said:
By-the-way, I got gas because I needed it (at 1/4 tank), not because I was in a panic.

That's cool. :D When I think of topping off the tank, I am thinking about people who have 3/4 full tank or greater. I am not thinking that no one should by gas. I realize that people have to get around.

ktschris

Beach Fanatic
Nov 18, 2004
St. Louis
I just made a proposal to our company president to go to four 10 hour days until this gas crisis is over. He said he'd consider it. Just think if everyone drove 1 less day a week -- that would be a huge savings!! I would cut out 64 miles a week!

Status
Not open for further replies.