• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jswbjw

Beach Comber
Apr 8, 2005
PLEASE - do not fall for the WSB radio hysteria. Atlanta has plenty of gas - or would have if the folks hadn't paniced yesterday. The pipelines are operating now (at less than full capacity but operating). But the rest of the story - as a famous radion personality says - Atlanta / GA actually gets a lot of their gas from the port of Savannah and other sources.

Smiling JOe said:
Well, I finally ran low on gas and just filled up at the Tom Thumb in Seagrove. I was not going to look at the price, but I could not help but to look. Regular gas is $2.59 9/10 per gal. Woo-hoo! Also, they had 18pks of rice beer(coors light) for $4.99 -- that is cheaper than bottled water. :bang: I had to get some. I think it is a NFL promotion. I also heard of Bud and Miller running similar promos at various local locations.

The pump I was on was out of the mid-grade. I would guess that all pumps run out of the same tanks.

For you diesel owners, I understand from several people, that they cannot find diesel. Reports are there is none in Lower Alabama area north of here either.
Are you saying I should rethink my CDI?

BTW I saw a gas tanker truck at Tom Thumb this PM.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Beach Runner said:
Are you saying I should rethink my CDI?

BTW I saw a gas tanker truck at Tom Thumb this PM.

I am not saying that. However, I know diesel is much more difficult to find. If you are serious about buying a diesel , I highly recommend doing a personal experiment to see if you really want a diesel. For the next month, every time you need gasoline, try to find a station that has diesel and fill up there. (Do not put diesel in your gasoline engine's tank. :nono1: ) You may be surprised at how difficult it can be to find diesel.

Smiling JOe said:
I am not saying that. However, I know diesel is much more difficult to find. If you are serious about buying a diesel , I highly recommend doing a personal experiment to see if you really want a diesel. For the next month, every time you need gasoline, try to find a station that has diesel and fill up there. (Do not put diesel in your gasoline engine's tank. :nono1: ) You may be surprised at how difficult it can be to find diesel.

Very true, since I am considering it myself I have been looking. More than I expected. I can't speak for SoWal though. One other thing... Bad news when you run a diesel out of fuel :nono1: Not a quick fix :!:

wintersbk

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2005
TEXAS
http://visitflorida.com/experience/tours/city/

Travel on a Tankful

Special Post-Katrina Announcement
State officials are encouraging residents and visitors to use energy and fuel supply conservatively. Concerns about fuel supply are short term due to interruption in gulf coast refineries' output from hurricane Katrina.

According to AAA South Coummunications Director Randy Bly, "Yes, Roads are open. Gas is available but there are spot outages in a few areas."

"If travelers are driving on holiday this weekend, once their fuel gauge gets to the halfway point, they should begin to look for the next gas station to refuel. That should give them plenty of time to locate gas. There may be spot outages of gasoline in the state temporarily. And diesel fuel supply is low. Spot gasoline outages are being reported in Ocala, Southeast Miami and in extreme Northwest Florida. Although there is ample gas supply available, diesel supply throughout the state is low. Pensacola and Gulf Breeze, especially along the coast are very low on gas. Areas to the east have ample supply. "

A gas station normally requests fuel supply and receives it within 24 hours. Due to barge delivery delays in Mississippi and Alabama, deliveries are being made by trucks and will take from 36 to 48 hours instead of 24. Supply is available, the delivery of it has slowed in some cases, and rumors have created panic-buying. That is why there are spot outages.

"Rumors that are not true include that it will take a week to get supply to gas stations. A rumor in Atlanta that gas stations would close after they ran out created panic-buying and long lines and depleted supply temporarily and caused price gouging."

AAA South receives their fuel information from their emergency operations and road assistance centers throughout the states of Florida, Alabama, Lousiana and Mississippi. Visit www.AAASouth.com for updates on fuel situation in Florida.

OnMackBayou

Beach Lover
May 15, 2005
Mack Bayou, Sandestin
Smiling JOe said:
I bought a new Mercedes E300D in 1994. Have had it for 11 years. 200,000 miles later I have NEVER had a problem getting diesel. I have driven it from Florida to Canada; from California to New York. Of course it makes a difference when you can go 800 miles on a tank. What an amazing car.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
?It?s been a rough week,? said Lucky, the manager of the Express Lane in Santa Rosa Beach, ?but we?ll make it.?
?We were out Friday for 30 minutes,? he said. ?As far as we know, we will continue to get gas.?
Lucky talks with his deliveryman every night and there has been no indication of shortages.
?We buy our gas ahead of time and ours is sitting in a holding tank,? he said.
In Tallahassee, Cragin Mosteller, Florida Department of Environmental Protection Press Office director, said fuel supplies remained steady with 172.6 millions of gallons of fuel Florida?s ports.
There?s 4.7 million gallons of fuel available at ports that service the panhandle, Mosteller said.
The difficulty comes in getting it from the port to the distributors.
?The port is open to trucks, but not ships,? she said.
That means getting additional supplies could be delayed.
Panhandle residents could experience spot shortages or long lines at retail outlets, she said. DEP encouraged residents to continue to use fuel supplies prudently while the petroleum industry assessed impacts to offshore rigs, refineries and supply terminals in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.
Not only is there a chance that drivers will have to wait in line, they will also be paying more.
Making a rough estimate, Lucky expected regular unleaded to approach $2.80 to $3, with premium at $3 to $3.50.
?But we are taking a wait-and-see attitude,? he said as to any increase at his station.
On an average day, consumers in Florida use approximately 23 million gallons of gasoline. In an average month, fuel suppliers distribute 750 million gallons in Florida.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
OnMackBayou said:
I bought a new Mercedes E300D in 1994. Have had it for 11 years. 200,000 miles later I have NEVER had a problem getting diesel. I have driven it from Florida to Canada; from California to New York. Of course it makes a difference when you can go 800 miles on a tank. What an amazing car.

My brother has a big diesel Chevy 2500 4 door pick up truck, and he gets better gas mileage than a Subaru Outback, which requires super premium gas.

pk305

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2005
Nashville & Seagrove
What is current status of gas availability in South Walton today please??
Is there any reliable info on this via local media down there??
We plan to head down Saturday but now are not so sure. Friends at Sandestin tell us they had very hard time getting gas last night.
Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.