• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
IMHO- the heart of the "congestion problem" is the gridlock caused by cars heading West on Holtz.

I'm a local but I am a transplant. I remember when I first moved here how crazy it seemed to me that Holtz is a two way street. Plain and simple- it is not wide enough...

Is parking an issue? I suppose. But people aren't going to want to park North of 30A to go to The Red Bar. I would venture to guess that this is being proposed as a solution because of a hidden agenda- $$$$$$$$

:dunno:

Anyway-

Let me save Grayton some time and money- Make Holtz a one way eastbound street, flip the north side parking spots around and you're all good.

2 cents.

G

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I was being tongue-in-cheek about the garage. Although I could see limited access in Grayton some day. Once we start getting hundred-home subdivisions off 98 and thousand-home subdivisions in Freeport, vehicles on the beach will end or be limited. From the looks of things this summer we need a cap now.

You could try to make Hotz one way but I think many would still go the other. The main result would be just more sign pollution.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Okay GEO, if you read my post you would see that Hotz will be one way from Defuniak to Garfield headed east bound. All of the stripping will be redone. As it stands now it would work as a two way street if people paid any attention to the compact only parking sign. It's located between Red Bar and their t-shirt shop. Since that isn't going to happen and it's only getting worse the one way concept was really the only viable solution.

The off site parking was actually requested by residents who were tired of people parking in their driveways, spots, and lawns. The "lets use state land" crappola is just Jay Odom seeing what he can get away with next.

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Okay GEO, if you read my post you would see that Hotz will be one way from Defuniak to Garfield headed east bound. All of the stripping will be redone. As it stands now it would work as a two way street if people paid any attention to the compact only parking sign. It's located between Red Bar and their t-shirt shop. Since that isn't going to happen and it's only getting worse the one way concept was really the only viable solution.

The off site parking was actually requested by residents who were tired of people parking in their driveways, spots, and lawns. The "lets use state land" crappola is just Jay Odom seeing what he can get away with next.

Gotcha. Thx.

JUL

Beach Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
Madison, Alabama
Buy Grayton Grand property, obtain height limit variance, raise 5 story parking garage, make Grayton south of 30A pedestrian and bike only except for residents, ban vehicles on the beach except limited number of licensed charter boat captains, operate free electric trolley to and from Red Bar.

Problem solved.

i like everything you said except 5 story parking garge:yikes:

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
I can't believe that, given all the real and legitimate issues, Jay Odom managed to get a public meeting out of this....

For the record, I have never had anyone park in my yard or had trouble getting to my street with the exception of July 4th. Perhaps we should just close Grayton for the fourth of July.

Methinks someone just wants a parking lot paid for with taxes when our courts and schools can't be funded. Craziness.

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
I can't believe that, given all the real and legitimate issues, Jay Odom managed to get a public meeting out of this....

For the record, I have never had anyone park in my yard or had trouble getting to my street with the exception of July 4th. Perhaps we should just close Grayton for the fourth of July.

Methinks someone just wants a parking lot paid for with taxes when our courts and schools can't be funded. Craziness.

LOL - Look and you will find that he was her largest donor to her campaign - what is surprising about his involvement ?

:banging::banging:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005

Yeah, and I wonder who owns the paving company, or the asphalt business!

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007

LOL - Look and you will find that he was her largest donor to her campaign - what is surprising about his involvement ?

:banging::banging:

Jay Odom was present and participated. He didn't call the meeting. Cecilia Jones did since someone called to complain about the firetrucks not being able to get into Grayton due to her 84 (the age kept going up throughout the meeting) year old father.

Interestingly after Jay Odom left he was appointed to the committee that was formed.