• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

nmosley

Beach Comber
May 9, 2006
Just watched the teaser - thank you much for the ongoing education... I for the life of me, though I have tried for many years, haven't been able to get my hands around what has happened to keep things floating since the gold was siphoned out of our nation's coffers years ago. I know that the Fed is a private bank and that the founding fathers saw such a centralized banking system as unconstitutional. Based on the copious amount of materials I have read, I suspect, but have no concrete proof, that the banking kings helped orchestrate the 1929 collapse. Still, I have not been able to see what is really going behind what we see and discuss current day...

As usual Shelly, your posts are a treasure trove of information and very much appreciated. The humor of late has been priceless and I am hoping not to be too terribly discouraged once I get more information on what is really happening. The goal is to gain understanding about all of this after watching the entire thing later this evening! You Rock!!!

seal

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2006
Just watched the teaser - thank you much for the ongoing education... I for the life of me, though I have tried for many years, haven't been able to get my hands around what has happened to keep things floating since the gold was siphoned out of our nation's coffers years ago. I know that the Fed is a private bank and that the founding fathers saw such a centralized banking system as unconstitutional. Based on the copious amount of materials I have read, I suspect, but have no concrete proof, that the banking kings helped orchestrate the 1929 collapse. Still, I have not been able to see what is really going behind what we see and discuss current day...

As usual Shelly, your posts are a treasure trove of information and very much appreciated. The humor of late has been priceless and I am hoping not to be too terribly discouraged once I get more information on what is really happening. The goal is to gain understanding about all of this after watching the entire thing later this evening! You Rock!!!

What has kept things(the dollar) afloat is confidence that the dollar you take in.....that same dollar will be able to be spent....consumer confidence. The other thing keeping it afloat is that most Amercians don't understand our money system.

The world, however, is getting less and less confident in the dollar. The euro keeps gaining on the dollar. Up until very recently, the only currency the world could use to purchase oil was dollars. This is changing:

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_Oil_Bourse[/ame]

http://www.energybulletin.net/12125.html

Could the recent events related to the Iranian Oil Bourse be why the U.S. is now threatening to invade Iran? Do your homework. You won't see this in the Main Stream Media.

Capricious

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
"...The other thing keeping it afloat is that most Amercians don't understand our money system...."

An understatement if there ever was one.
The average U.S citizen is clueless when it comes to
money. Witness the current crop of subprime borrowers,
"flippers," automobile leasers, etc. etc.

"...why the U.S. is now threatening to invade Iran?..."

We can "threaten," but our utter failures in Iraq and
Afghanistan have erased the deterent factor of U.S.
military intervention, and have depleted the resources
of our military forces, so it is little more than an idle
threat and the rest of the world knows it.

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen

What intrinsic value does gold have? What intrinsic value does the Dollar have? Any type of Money simply facilitates trade.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Sorry to disappoint, but I too, believe that Carter is an inept bungler at best and more probably, is the worst President ever!!! He should have stayed on the farm. I remember VIVIDLY the unemployment, the gas lines, school sclosing because we couldn't pay to heat them for the students, the fury over him being such a "wuss" and leaving our kidnapped Americans sit there while he did nothing to retrieve them.

Now, "Mr. Peace-nik" has the audacity to open his yapper and speak when he couldn't do the job well when it was his to do...I cannot abide fools! Personally, I think he just needs to sit on the sidlines and stop trying to rewrite his legacy...which is what all of his yapping and positioning is really about.

He has done a great job with Habitat for Humanity and he should leave it at that. His is not and never was a big enough dog to run in the high weeds - everything was over his head and still is. That said, though I am personally fond of "W", I don't think he is the most capable President either - least you think I am one-sided in my views. Have a blessed and prosperous day! ;-)
The problems were caused by OPEC and Nixon's price controls. Guess what? OPEC is back! Who warned us about our dependence on foreign oil 30 years ago? That's right the "Peanut Farmer". Regarding your peacenik comment, what can you say. Grab an M-16 and go get it on with a big ole rebel yell. Maybe if you kill everyone in the Middle East, oil will be cheap again. The big dog's gotta eat. I'm also fond of GW. I'll be very fond of him when he leaves office with his jeans on fire....Federal government and private sector tapped out, economy in full blown recession, dollar worthless, military stuck in Iraq forever. Now that's a legacy that's worth remembering.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
What intrinsic value does gold have? What intrinsic value does the Dollar have? Any type of Money simply facilitates trade.

I'd say that gold is intrinsicly more valuable (vs the US dollar) than what it was at the beginning of the week and at a 27-year high (vs the US dollar). Does that mean the value of gold going up....or the "promises" that are behind the "value" of the dollar are going down?

Dollar VS Gold

6214_b.gif

Dollar VS Major World Currencies

exc1.gif

Let's just say if the US is going to continue stumbling along its present economic path, as the world's leading manufacturer of debtors, expect more of the same.

Last edited:

slandmarks

Beach Comber
Mar 23, 2007
www.southernlandmarks.com
Fears of dollar collapse as Saudis take fright

By Ambrose Evans-Pritchard, International Business Editor

Last Updated: 8:39am BST 20/09/2007

Saudi Arabia has refused to cut interest rates in lockstep with the US Federal Reserve for the first time, signalling that the oil-rich Gulf kingdom is preparing to break the dollar currency peg in a move that risks setting off a stampede out of the dollar across the Middle East.

bcnsaudi119.jpg
Ben Bernanke has placed the dollar in a dangerous situation, say analysts

"This is a very dangerous situation for the dollar," said Hans Redeker, currency chief at BNP Paribas.
"Saudi Arabia has $800bn (?400bn) in their future generation fund, and the entire region has $3,500bn under management. They face an inflationary threat and do not want to import an interest rate policy set for the recessionary conditions in the United States," he said.
The Saudi central bank said today that it would take "appropriate measures" to halt huge capital inflows into the country, but analysts say this policy is unsustainable and will inevitably lead to the collapse of the dollar peg.
As a close ally of the US, Riyadh has so far tried to stick to the peg, but the link is now destabilising its own economy.

The Fed's dramatic half point cut to 4.75pc yesterday has already caused a plunge in the world dollar index to a fifteen year low, touching with weakest level ever against the mighty euro at just under $1.40.
There is now a growing danger that global investors will start to shun the US bond markets. The latest US government data on foreign holdings released this week show a collapse in purchases of US bonds from $97bn to just $19bn in July, with outright net sales of US Treasuries.
The danger is that this could now accelerate as the yield gap between the United States and the rest of the world narrows rapidly, leaving America starved of foreign capital flows needed to cover its current account deficit - expected to reach $850bn this year, or 6.5pc of GDP.
Mr Redeker said foreign investors have been gradually pulling out of the long-term US debt markets, leaving the dollar dependent on short-term funding. Foreigners have funded 25pc to 30pc of America's credit and short-term paper markets over the last two years.
"They were willing to provide the money when rates were paying nicely, but why bear the risk in these dramatically changed circumstances? We think that a fall in dollar to $1.50 against the euro is not out of the question at all by the first quarter of 2008," he said.
"This is nothing like the situation in 1998 when the crisis was in Asia, but the US was booming. This time the US itself is the problem," he said.
Mr Redeker said the biggest danger for the dollar is that falling US rates will at some point trigger a reversal yen "carry trade", causing massive flows from the US back to Japan.
Jim Rogers, the commodity king and former partner of George Soros, said the Federal Reserve was playing with fire by cutting rates so aggressively at a time when the dollar was already under pressure.
The risk is that flight from US bonds could push up the long-term yields that form the base price of credit for most mortgages, the driving the property market into even deeper crisis.
"If Ben Bernanke starts running those printing presses even faster than he's already doing, we are going to have a serious recession. The dollar's going to collapse, the bond market's going to collapse. There's going to be a lot of problems," he said.
The Federal Reserve, however, clearly calculates the risk of a sudden downturn is now so great that the it outweighs dangers of a dollar slide.
Former Fed chief Alan Greenspan said this week that house prices may fall by "double digits" as the subprime crisis bites harder, prompting households to cut back sharply on spending.
For Saudi Arabia, the dollar peg has clearly become a liability. Inflation has risen to 4pc and the M3 broad money supply is surging at 22pc.
The pressures are even worse in other parts of the Gulf. The United Arab Emirates now faces inflation of 9.3pc, a 20-year high. In Qatar it has reached 13pc.
Kuwait became the first of the oil sheikhdoms to break its dollar peg in May, a move that has begun to rein in rampant money supply growth.

slandmarks

Beach Comber
Mar 23, 2007
www.southernlandmarks.com
This guy just needs to quit talking ...

Reuters
House prices to drop much lower: Greenspan
Friday September 21, 3:25 am ET

VIENNA (Reuters) - A big overhang of property will bring U.S. house prices down further, but it is too early to say if the economy will plunge into recession, former Federal Reserve chief Alan Greenspan was quoted as saying on Friday.

Greenspan said in an interview with Austrian magazine Format that low interest rates in the past 15 years were to blame for the house price bubble, but that central banks were powerless when they tried to bring it under control.

"It's a difficult situation, there is an enormous overhang on the real estate market," Greenspan was quoted as saying. "Many buildings which just have been finished can't be sold ..."

"So far, prices have dropped only slightly. But it was enough to cause alarm around the world," he said. "Prices are going to fall much lower yet."

"However, it is too early to answer the question about a recession. We simply don't know yet. It depends on how flexibly the economy can react," he said.

Greenspan said deregulation and the introduction of market economies in the former Communist bloc after the Berlin Wall fell in 1989 had caused a global boom and a worldwide reduction of interest rates, which both helped fuel the property bubble.

"There is no doubt about the fact that low interest rates for long-term government bonds have caused the real estate bubble in the United States," he said.

"The Federal Reserve began a series of interest rate increases in 2004. We were hoping to bring the speculative excesses in the real estate sector under control. We failed. We tried it again in 2005. Failure," he said.

"Nobody could do anything about it, neither us nor the European Central Bank. We were powerless," he said.

nmosley

Beach Comber
May 9, 2006
"Could the recent events related to the Iranian Oil Bourse be why the U.S. is now threatening to invade Iran? Do your homework. You won't see this in the Main Stream Media."

Happy Camper -
Tha tis for sure...I read the info contained in the links you shared...WHEW! Between that and Shelly's information... seems too sobering to think about, yet makes sense and begins to fill in the pieces of the puzzle that have seemed to be missing for me.

I enjoy learning from all of you , and I confess that sometimes all of this boggles my mind as I watch the rest of everyone else I seem to know as they walk around oblivious, buying and spending and spending and buying. It is comforting, somehow, to know that even when we have disagreements on this blog, there is a shared understanding that everything is not what it seems. In real life, I feel like most folks are unconscious and thinking about this stuff is like "Debbie Downer" on SNL. :dunno: But it is happening and it is real and though there may not be much that can be done about it, at least I know that I am not alone in the awareness of it all. So, thanks everybody for being willing to share - even when it reality is unpleasant and hard to swallow!!!

I hope each of you has a blessed and peaceful weekend and that the weather is beautiful (in spite of the TD that may be headed that way), and that all of your days are sweet.

seal

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2006
And now a recent exchange (9/20/2007) between Congressman Ron Paul and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke. This happened at the most recent Financial Services Committee's meeting. Ron Paul asks "Is there any moral justification for devaluing our currency?"

Listen to Bernanke's voice. "Everything will be OK..."

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhglwvE50cg[/nomedia]

http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/congrec2007/cr092007h.htm

http://www.minyanville.com/articles...mony-wall-street-america-dollar/index/a/14185