• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Something tells me the Freedom from Religion Foundation would disapprove of this. If the poem was presented in the context of history, that would be one thing. Apparently it's not historically accurate, so it can't be justified on those grounds. If Christianity has been promoted in the schools in the past, all I can say is two wrongs don't make a right.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Wait just a minute. "No one has the right to indoctrinate another in any religion..." If I read this right, Islam was being promoted or shown in a positive light, not Christianity. Isn't Islam a religion? So, if it is in fact wrong to indoctrinate YOUR children about Christianity, isn't it also wrong to indoctrinate MY children about Islam?
I have no problem with teaching Islam, Judaism,Buddhism, Zoroastrianism,Paganism, Protestantism, Catholicism, Shintoism, Hinduism or any other "ism." All I want is fair, balanced and historically correct. A World History class must teach about different religions and how they have impacted the course of history. But make sure it is accurate.

MmHmm...that's why we have a nativity set on the courthouse lawn but not Judaism,Buddhism, Zoroastrianism,Paganism, Protestantism, Catholicism, Shintoism, Hinduism or any other "ism." right? Fair? Balanced? Talk to me about that shi* Danny when they no longer lead prayer via a taxpayer funded audio system at footballs games or pray before BCC meetings. Talk to me about fair and balanced when they hang a copy of the Kuran next to the nativity set on the courthouse lawn.

Talk to me about that crap the next time prisoners are put to work for Christmas reflections or put to work building churches....which you know all about since you were charged with overseeing them doing it.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
I attend many sports events at both the middle and high school levels in both Alabama and Florida and I cannot think of the last time I witnessed a prayer being said. I have heard prayers at youth and adult level events but those events are sponsored/provided through private organizations who have every right to do what they choose.
Prayers before public meetings are a tradition that has been practiced in this country since we were British subjects. So I really do not see the issue. Ditto for nativity scenes during the holidays.
As far as what you said I personally have done. I have never sent an inmate to work on or construct any church of any denomination. I have sent inmates to work on Christmas Reflections. That work was always at the request of the City of DeFuniak Springs. Further, that project helps the local economy and would not be possible without inmate labor. I don't regret helping that project one bit.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
If memory serves Danny (I'm not senile yet) there were pictures of you in uniform overseeing prisoners putting a new roof on a local church in DFS.

Christmas Reflections is a private enterprise not a non profit and State Statue is clear about prisoners being put to use for PUBLIC WORKS ONLY!

Most people don't mind ignoring the law when it furthers "Christian" agendas.

P.S. Quinn McMillan use to lead the prayer at football games at WCHS until the ACLU came in and said it would stop immediately. Then the "movers and shakers" in DFS got a little more cunning about how prayer was orchestrated via those same football games and would have students lead them across the taxpayer funded public address system. That was stopped also.

Basically what you're telling me is that its ok to ignore the law if it offends Christians but not other religions.

Last edited:

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Be careful Misty, you are engaging in what Christians claim is persecution.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Be careful Misty, you are engaging in what Christians claim is persecution.

People (particularly "Christians") always perceive that any opinion that differentiates from their own as persecution.

I think that mindset predates Christ.

m1a1mg

Beach Fanatic
Mar 16, 2014
Lost in the world
Misty, I think you (in post #26) and poppy have a wide brush that you are painting all Christians. Now , that would actually be Christian persecution. Prior to that, I didn't feel persecuted.

As someone who defended the Constitution for 20+ years, I'm a big believer in separation of church and state. If inmates were used to support a for profit venture, someone should be in big trouble.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Misty, post those pictures. I would love to see a photo of something I never did. I know there were allegations of such occurring in the McMillian days but I stopped supervising inmates under Quinn in 1985. So, the photos better show me much smaller and with a great deal more hair. From 1985-2002 I was in patrol or a school resource officer, inmates were supervised by corrections officers during those years.
As far as Christmas Reflections, I think that mule has been beat over and over but every time it was determined to be a function of the city government. I know the County Attorney determined it was before I sent the first inmate to them when I was in charge of the jail. I also know the Sheriff's Association legal counsel found the same to be true when the Sheriff started helping them at the request of the city.
I have never been involved with planning the program at Walton High school football games and have not attended them on any regular basis since 1979. So I really don't know what you are talking about. I will tell you I don't think the law should be ignored and cannot see where you drew such a conclusion. If I said anything to give you that impression, I apologize.
As far as persecuting anyone, where in the world did that come from? I thought the discussion was about instructional materials and their appropriateness. I looked at them and found them inadequate due to being inaccurate. Just a personal opinion. Disagreeing with me does not mean someone is persecuting me. We just don't agree on this issue.

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I'm a big believer in separation of church and state. If inmates were used to support a for profit venture, someone should be in big trouble.

It happened.

The nativity still sits on the Courthouse lawn. Prisoners are still used on Christmas Reflections.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Misty, post those pictures. I would love to see a photo of something I never did. I know there were allegations of such occurring in the McMillian days but I stopped supervising inmates under Quinn in 1985. So, the photos better show me much smaller and with a great deal more hair. From 1985-2000 I was in patrol or a school resource officer, inmates were supervised by corrections officers during those years.
As far as Christmas Reflections, I think that mule has been beat over and over but every time it was determined to be a function of the city government. I know the County Attorney determined it was before I sent the first inmate to them when I was in charge of the jail. I also know the Sheriff's Association legal counsel found the same to be true when the Sheriff started helping them at the request of the city.
As far as persecuting anyone, where in the world did that come from? I thought the discussion was about instructional materials and their appropriateness. I looked at them and found them inadequate due to being inaccurate. Just a personal opinion. Disagreeing with me does not mean someone is persecuting me. We just don't agree on this issue.

Actually Danny you may have had more hair back then but you couldn't tell it because of the Trooper style hat you wore. Assuredly you were smaller than you are now. I don't have the images anymore but many of them were actually printed in the Defuniak paper. The one of the Church in DFS in particular.

The other Church was built using inmate labor from the ground up in Freeport. Those images also appeared in the Defuniak paper.

It is not a function of City Government to insure that Christmas lights from a private organization are hung on private properties around the lake yard. Closing off public roads and charging a fee for citizens to drive on those public roads is also NOT a function of City Government. All of it is done by a private organization using inmate labor for a private cause...promoting Christian beliefs!

The County Attorney determined it was ....would that be GR Miller by any chance? (If so, look at all the freaking trouble many of his legal opinions have caused.)

Since when did Haiku poems have to be historically correct? It's a poem for cripes sake. The hoopla over this BS is just the mention of the word Allah and Gordon Porter and his wife have their shorts in a knot over it. And you belong to that republican tea party convention of nut jobs.

Last edited: