• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I'd be interested in hearing the current County Attorney's take on Christmas Reflections.

I actually think the current County Attorney should ask for the State Attorney General's opinion of Christmas Reflections. That would stop much of the mentality of "it's just the way we have always done things around here". Just because the City says so or the Sheriff's Association said so doesn't make it legal.

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Misty, I think you (in post #26) and poppy have a wide brush that you are painting all Christians. Now , that would actually be Christian persecution. Prior to that, I didn't feel persecuted.

I apologize for painting "ALL" Christians with the same brush. However I did say, I think the mindset predates Christ.

I probably should have said Tea Party Republican "Christians" in Walton County:D

Last edited:

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
"republican tea party convention of nut jobs" :lol::clap:

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
There is no reasonable way to teach World History or Western Civilization without discussing the impact of various religions within a historical context. Are we to ignore the Ottoman Empire and its goals of creating a Muslim caliphate? Should we pretend the Crusades did not happen? Was the Reformation historically important? Why did Pilgrims decide to leave England? The list goes on and on. None of this is indoctrination, it's called education. It is much different than prayer and religiosity in school.

For those who want prayer in public schools, please share examples of prayers that you think are appropriate for all. Is it the Lord's Prayer, the Nicene Creed? The 27 Fundamental Beliefs of 7th Day Adventist? The Book of Mormon? Any number of Catholic catechisms?

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I may be wrong I don't know...but I thought the issue was about the word "Allah" written in a Haiku poem, not about education or the historical significance of the role of religion in the world. I don't have issues with teachings about the various religions and I think our children should be enlightened/taught/educated about all religion and feel that every person has the inherent, fundamental right to choose which God they serve.

What bothers me about Christianity in general is "hell fire & damnation" that is taught to children from an early age. I remember as a child growing up being forced to bow my head in prayer (in public school) and being forced to recite the pledge of allegiance. Why do I have to pledge my allegiance to an inanimate object if I am a free citizen born and raised in this country? Why did I have to bow my head in prayer and pray to a God I had no knowledge of? My folks were not religious in any shape, form or fashion and as I got older and grew to understand other religions (while not actively participating in any of them) I did have an appreciation for people of different faiths and a healthy respect for all religion even if I didn't agree with them.

I think people have just as much right to lay down a prayer rug and pray to the east or pray as Catholics do to images of Saints or rub a Buddha's belly for health, wealth, and happiness even if it is something I wouldn't do or don't *believe* in. I think if we are truly free to worship then the Kuran should have a place on the courthouse lawn just like the nativity and all other religions should be represented there as well.

For the life of me I couldn't imagine telling my child he/she would burn in hell if they didn't practice my faith or the lack thereof and they were given the freedom to choose which God they served.

A universal prayer hasn't been invented yet and if there were the religious fundamentalist would start a war over it.

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
We had a "No Way This Happened" moment at our house today.

Neighbor comes to our door. A neighbor that has never been friendly. We actually looked at his house in 2006 and found it uninsurable at the time and needing too much work, so we passed. Anyway, I walk out, and Bdarg is talking to this guy who has come onto our property and told us we can no longer fly the Turkish flag at Thanksgiving. Get it- Turkey? :lol: We found it in Apalachicola years ago and have always flown it at Thanksgiving for fun. Bdarg is pretty calm as this nutbag says we are flying the flag of "Muhammad" and we can't do that anymore because he is a Vietnam vet and it is offensive. Bdarg reminds the dumbass that Turkey has been a NATO member since 1972. Dumbass says he is a Vietnam veteran and we better not fly the flag or else. Bdarg asks is that is a threat. We asked him to leave immediately, and call the WCSD. The great deputy, who is also our neighbor (thank God) issues a trespass warning to the fool neighbor.

So this is what we have come to in Walton County? We were talking about the school district deal tonight with friends. The jaws dropped at the ignorance of it all. It is embarrassing for our county.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
Misty,

You are right. The issue started as a protest about the haiku, but the thread as you know is about the underlying message of intolerance. I think the great thing is that many people of no professed faith and many active participants in the Christian faith are calling BS on this "protest". Maybe one day our candidates will realize that agreeing with intolerance and xenophobic views is not the only way to get elected.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
OMG...when reading this I am picturing a little flag with a turkey on it waving proudly from your house. LOL, when reality hit and I realized you meant a crescent moon and stars I had an uncontrollable fit of laughter.:D

No jdarg, this isn't what we have come to in Walton County...unfortunately it's just the way it's always been.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
We had a "No Way This Happened" moment at our house today. Neighbor comes to our door. A neighbor that has never been friendly. We actually looked at his house in 2006 and found it uninsurable at the time and needing too much work, so we passed. Anyway, I walk out, and Bdarg is talking to this guy who has come onto our property and told us we can no longer fly the Turkish flag at Thanksgiving. Get it- Turkey? :lol: We found it in Apalachicola years ago and have always flown it at Thanksgiving for fun. Bdarg is pretty calm as this nutbag says we are flying the flag of "Muhammad" and we can't do that anymore because he is a Vietnam vet and it is offensive. Bdarg reminds the dumbass that Turkey has been a NATO member since 1972. Dumbass says he is a Vietnam veteran and we better not fly the flag or else. Bdarg asks is that is a threat. We asked him to leave immediately, and call the WCSD. The great deputy, who is also our neighbor (thank God) issues a trespass warning to the fool neighbor. So this is what we have come to in Walton County? We were talking about the school district deal tonight with friends. The jaws dropped at the ignorance of it all. It is embarrassing for our county.
Ask your neighbor if he is a member of the local Mensa chapter. I would suggest you first explain the difference between Mensa and menses.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
How in the world does one person's actions lead anyone to the conclusion that everyone in Walton County is like that? That is simply unreasonable. In fact the guy would run into real problems in the North end, trying to tell someone what they can do on their own property. I personally do not care if you fly 50 flags of what ever type on your property. That is your business. Besides, flying a "Turkey" flag on Thanksgiving is ingenious and cute.