• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ricky bobby

Banned
Aug 24, 2011
Tallahassee, Fl
If you don't live on 30A, then, obviously you do not understand the feelings and concerns of those of us who do. And as far as taxes are concerned, I am sure those of us living on 30A pay our fair share and more.

She asked how she had damaged 30a. I don't think the question was directed to you. But as long as you answered, how has she done any damage to 30a?

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
I agree that those who live closest to a development that may have a negative impact should have a louder voice than other residents in the same county.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
What do I do when I want to go to a vacation destination and can't afford the lodging?

I pick an option in my budget- I go somewhere else. I don't expect every place I want to visit to have options in my price range. The argument that we "should" have affordable options for all is ridiculous.

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
Like your other two posts, WHAT's YOUR POINT? I'll favor "the rich people's opinion" over your advocacy for a chain hotel that simply does not belong on 30-A. YOU have something very special and unique with 30-A. Don't destroy that anymore than YOU already have.

Again, I'll ask you how have I "destroyed" anything? Your use of the word 'YOU' in caps implies that since I don't oppose the proposed project I have caused damaged to your beloved community. You have accused me of something. What have I done to your community? All I've done is post on a message board controlled by a bunch of arrogant elitists.

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
In other words, if you don't like a question directed to you, either don't answer or get someone else to answer it for you.

As far as my being an outsider, I lived in Seagrove Beach for a while and my sister and her husband owned a condo there for more than 20 years, where I spent many happy, fun times but in recent years the traffic and crowds made it less attractive. More and more condos and houses will be built so there will continue to be development. It just seems that the attitude of local residents is that a hotel will spoil the perceived "upscale" environment. As a resident of Walton County and hopefully someone with first amendment rights, I was simply voicing an opinion as unwelcome as it might be in this community. I suspect that some of you wouldn't object to the building of a bar or night club in my neighborhood. I still love going to the beach and spending the weekend but you can rest assured that my family and I won't be spoiling your pristine community in the future. There is plenty to choose from between Gulf Shores, Alabama and Mexico Beach for the common people like me.

Last edited:

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove
What do I do when I want to go to a vacation destination and can't afford the lodging?

I pick an option in my budget- I go somewhere else. I don't expect every place I want to visit to have options in my price range. The argument that we "should" have affordable options for all is ridiculous.

GB State Park...cabin time baby!

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL

I checked Hampton Inn's web site for a random weekend stay next June. Hampton Inn Destin is asking $259/night. Hampton Inn Sandestin, which is located behind a strip mall with a Burger King and nowhere near a beach, is $188 per night.

I'll note this is more than I paid per night for a perfectly adequate Holiday Inn Express in London last summer that was about a ten minute Tube ride from the central touristy stuff, so we're hardly talking a step above Motel 6 pricing, since I can't see Seagrove getting less than the place next to Burger King.