• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jd

Beach Lover
Jun 11, 2008
Atlanta
We're not all bad! :wave: Some of us are well-behaved, fill in our holes, don't leave junk on the beach, stay off the dunes, drive gently (after we arrive), take good care of our rented properties, and even spend a little money while we're there. A couple of us are even known to obey red flag warnings and turn out porch lights during turtle nesting season.

The segment of Atlantans I described is really comprised of wannabe-locals just trying to figure out how to make the move ... ;-)

I fall into this category....and I'm headed that way (Seagrove) Friday! Can't wait!!!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Last edited:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Y'all have funn! Don't leave your good manners at home! :clap:

gttbm was telling us all about this here and there yesterday! We will see y'all on the tail end of your trip! Leave us some groceries! :wave:

Driving to/from the beach on I-85

Atlantans, and others driving to SoWal on I-85 south of Atlanta, drive very carefully. The road construction from Exit 61 to Exit 35 is very hazardous. The speed limit is 60 mph for a reason. There are places where the road is surrounded by concrete barricades with no shoulders. I've learned to avoid driving next to an eighteen-wheeler because there's no wiggle room when a car and a truck are side-by-side.

Going southbound at Exits 47 and 41 in Newnan, the entrance ramps have no acceleration lanes. So move to the left to avoid hitting a vehicle darting out in front of you. The exit ramps at Exits 41 and 35 have no deceleration room, so watch out for someone slamming on the breaks in front of you to exit.

Going northbound at Exits 41 and 47 in Newnan, there are no deceleration lanes, so watch out for people exiting there.

I'm not advocating speeding ;-), but watch out for Union City police near Exit 64, Grantville police near Exit 35, and the Hogansville police near Exit 28. They are usually there.

And be prepared for long backups and waits between Exits 41 and 51 with stop-and-go traffic.

Drive carefully, and have a great Spring Break!:wave:

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
In addition to filling in holes, and disposing of your waste, I ask that you don't drive like maniacs all the way to 30A. Please slow down more, the closer you get. I've seen too many near misses. I can tell you that if you pass me on 331 bridge (double yellow) just because I am going 50-55mph, I WILL catch up with you at the traffic light at 331/98. There is no need to pass once you get to Freeport, because we all arrive at the same time unless you kill me on your mad rush to relax at the beach. Chill out. I know that it is tough to slow down after you have driven for 5 hours at speeds in excess of 70mph, but put on your beach hat when you leave your driveway. Relaxation is a state of mind and has nothing to do with arriving at the beach. Thank you in advance.

By the way, much of Hwy 331, south of Freeport, is a construction zone with slower than normal speedlimits, and winding, offsets on the temporary road (while they are four-laning). It can be dangerous. My guess is that since many of you Atlanta peeps are leaving ATL on Sat am, from around 1pm-3pm, traffic will be bumper to bumper from hwy 331/98 to the north side of the Clyde Wells (331) Bridge, so don't get any crazy ideas.

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
I have friends from Atlanta driving in Friday night :clap:
This is also Spring break for Kaiboo, she arrives Friday night as well :love:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
We won't get to SoWal until the following week (Michigan's spring break is one week later than Atlanta's).

As for tourists, all I can say is that most of the guests who rent our places have left them in great condition and appreciate SoWal and the beaches, restaurants, etc. very much. As someone who was not educated in beach manners (really, one doesn't understand about turtles, not walking on dunes, not using lights at night on the beach, and other things like that unless one is taught about it), I don't expect that other people will necessarily know these things. So, it's up to us to kindly provide that education. So, we leave this kind of information (including the beach flag information and turtle information) nicely framed in our cottages so that people can read them. Putting this information in the bathrooms, especially the kids' bathrooms, works well because people tend to read what's on the walls in bathrooms. And if the messages are in bathrooms the kids use, they can influence their parents as well. I think most people want to do the right things if they know what those things are. I think it's most helpful for those of us who know about SoWal to see ourselves as goodwilled teachers of those who are still learning (I'll be learning about SoWal and the environment/beaches for a long, long time).

When I call guests, I remind them to drive safely and of the flag system because I want them to be safe. Even if one follows the speed limit, some intersections/roads in the area can be dangerous.

Anyway, I have learned so much about beach life, beach safety, and the environment since joining SoWal.com and being a regular visitor to the area! It was amazing to see what happened to the beaches after Ivan (and a few other hurricanes in 2005) and then to watch the beaches evolve back. That has been an education in itself that makes me respect Mother Nature even more. Clearly, I'm still in awe of the area, especially the beaches, after 5 years.

Anyhooo, welcome tourists and enjoy the beach!