• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Forgot to say, regarding the link I posted - you can go to the site and see it, but there is some rule that prevents that model track from being reproduced elsewhere, so you won't find it on any of the spaghetti plots.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Um, what exactly does a mandatory evacuation mean?

We've got guests in Seagrove, at Hidden Beach Villas, Cassine Station, and gulf front at Ramsgate. It's a beautiful day. All were planning on leaving Monday am.

I appreciate the Sherriff being proactive, but this seems a little premature on very short notice, especially with winds and waves not really expected to be hitting the area until Monday afternoon. Not to mention the forecast track seems to keep shifting further west today.

If our guests don't start out until tomorrow before noon, are they really at risk of getting stuck at the 331 bridge? What if they went east on 98 through Panama City instead, or West and across the mid-bay bridge. What are the closing policies on those bridges?

Note that it is voluntary at this time. There is no clear cut definition of what is a low lying area but gulf front often is. And if there is surge expected then you don't want to be near that.

Since we have relatively few visitors compared to summer season, hopefully traffic will not be too bad. But problems can arise, especially when timing is bad. For instance, if a storm intensifies and turns late in the day or during the night, folks will wake up and decide to leave, causing problems. Better to be safe than sorry.

Bridges close when sustained winds reach 40mph. We are on an island.

Last edited:

beachma

Beach Lover
Apr 22, 2005
We were able to add tomorrow to our reservations in Alabama...the best we can do is leave in the morning. We've heard nothing from the rental company we've rented from about anything, all my information has come from SOWAL. We're spending this beautiful day on the beach!!!

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
Thanks Kurt. I agree they don't want to be gulf front. And better safe than sorry, sure.

I see it's currently a voluntary evacuation, but it becomes mandatory in about 90 minutes, so I'm still wondering what that means so i can tell my guests. Do they stop southbound traffic across the bridge? Do they start knocking on gulf front doors or something?

JMT

Beach Lover
Aug 5, 2009
Seagrove Beach, Fl
Latest EURO model still showing landfall at ~ Gulf Shores, AL.. This model is the Eastern-most of the major models right now. Most others show landfall from ~ Gulfport West to even Lake Charles.. Wish the EURO would get with the program, haha..:popcorn:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Thanks Kurt. I agree they don't want to be gulf front. And better safe than sorry, sure.

I see it's currently a voluntary evacuation, but it becomes mandatory in about 90 minutes, so I'm still wondering what that means so i can tell my guests. Do they stop southbound traffic across the bridge? Do they start knocking on gulf front doors or something?

Yes - mandatory for low lying areas at 3PM today. Your guests can call Walton County Sheriff's info line at:
850-892-8394 or 850-892-8392.

From past experiences there will be no knocking on doors or arrests.

According to Walton County, tropical storm force winds are expected as early as 5PM Monday at which point the Choctawhatchee Bay bridge would be closed.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
storm_09