Hurricane Katrina - I

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Miss Kitty, Aug 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Re: Tropical Depression # 12

You know I love that orange, even though that path is bad for Gainesville. :sosad: All of the paths are unfortunately bad for someone.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  2. lollygal

lollygal Beach Fanatic

Orange is a very good color!

GO VOLS!! (Couldn't resist!) :laughing1

3. Bluznbeach

Bluznbeach Beach Lover

Re: TS Katrina

Well, it didn't take long for somebody to come up with the obvious lead for the storm story...the Atlanta Journal-Constitution writes, "South Floridians won't be walking on sunshine when Katrina and her waves crash ashore later this week." ;-)

I always liked that song, but my favorite of theirs was "Red Wine and Whiskey." I'll need some of both as I watch the Weather Channel this weekend. Take care and be safe, y'all.

4. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

earl, you better load up the cattle trailers with all your crap. I hear a storm may be making some new Gulf front homes in your hood. If it does hit, and I hope it does not, we will see how well those plastic dunes hold at Lee Perry's house in Gulf Trace. I have a feeling that we will be looking at orange clay soon.

5. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

If it stays to the east of us, that would be better...right? Isn't there a good/bad side? Each storm that has hit in the last two years has come in to the west...except Cindy? Education time.

6. Beachlover2

Beachlover2 Beach Fanatic

Usually the chant is West is best - east is beast - to the west of the storm is better.

7. wetwilly

wetwilly Beach Fanatic

West may be "best" as it relates to the worst of the surge and a "hit" but I am afraid with the beating the SoWal dunes/beaches have taken in the past 12-14 months that being anywhere in the "cone" is not going to be good.

I vote for orange or purple (sorry to the people in those paths). We are hoping for the best and that the TS just dies (not likely) but at worst it helps push more sand up onto the SoWal beaches :clap_1: :clap_1: :clap_1:

It looks like we will know by Monday evening.

wetwilly :cool:

8. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Thanks... that's what I remembered! These days I am having a hard time locating some info in the ol' lobes!

9. wetwilly

wetwilly Beach Fanatic

Just got this off of the web....www.crownweather.com/tropical

"....THE GUIDANCE HAS COME INTO SOMEWHAT BETTER AGREEMENT THAT KATARINA WILL TURN NORTHWARD IN RESPONSE TO A DEEPENING TROUGH OVER THE CENTRAL UNITED STATES...ALTHOUGH THERE IS STILL A NOTABLE SPREAD. TRACK MODEL GUIDANCE RESPONDS TO THIS PATTERN WITH A SPREAD OF LANDFALLS IN FLORIDA FROM THE KEYS TO NORTH OF LAKE OKEECHOBEE. AFTER CROSSING FLORIDA.....

THE COLD TOPS AND THE INNER WIND CORE SUGGEST THE POSSIBILITY OF STRENGTHENING. BASED ON THIS...THE INTENSITY FORECAST CALLS FOR KATRINA TO BECOME A HURRICANE BEFORE LANDFALL. KATRINA SHOULD WEAKEN WHILE SLOWLY CROSSING THE FLORIDA PENINSULA...THE RE-INTENSIFY UNDER LIGHT SHEAR CONDITIONS OVER THE GULF OF MEXICO."

If it goes northward to hit Lake Okeechobee we will be west of the hit but this storm seems "flaky" and moving very slow (8 mph) and anything is possible at this point. If it stay as a slow moving storm, it will produce alot of rain (based on what the Dr said last night on the weather channel).

10. Sea Star

Sea Star Beach Lover

:clap_1:
    Way to go Lollygal! I was thinking the same thing when I saw your post.

Here's hoping Katrina stays on the east coast and heads north. Will be down in October and don't want it to be any worse than it already is - hot temps, biting flies, crowds, etc. :D

11. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I don't remember which storm shot up throught Mexico Beach area last year, but during that storm, the sun was shining in SoWal and the wave action was slim to none. Maybe that is why I cannot remember the storm's name.

12. pgurney

pgurney Beach Fanatic

Just so there's no confusion, the purple line has moved from going out in the Atlantic to hitting west of us. My vote is no longer with purple!

For anyone interested, this link is to a forum for weather professionals and enthusiasts. You can get a little more in depth information than the NHC provides most of the time. It can get a little hard to read because these folks get hyped up about and look forward to big storms.....they see it from a completely different perspective than we do.

13. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

All the models seem to have been trending eastward for the past day, and almost all of them seem to be saying somewhere between Tyndall AFB and mouth of the Suwannee River for a second Gulf of Mexico Landfall. So not too bad for SoWal, but the already erosion prone Cape San Blas could take some damage, and if you're an Apalachicola Bay oyster fan, grab some of them now, since they're smack in the line of the cone right now.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  14. Excalibur

Excalibur Guest

Complete HURRICANE KATRINA Information

Stay Tuned to WGTX AM 1280 and WWW.WGTX.COM for Complete Up to the Minute Weather Advisories, Live NEXRAD RADAR, and Hurricane Katrina Forecast Maps.

WGTX is tracking Hurricane Katrina as it impacts South Florida and enters the Gulf of Mexico. Hurricane Katrina is forecast to impact the Florida Panhandle on Monday. WGTX AM 1280 will have backup Broadcast power in place throughout the storm's potential impact.

15. EZ4144

EZ4144 Beach Lover

Re: Complete HURRICANE KATRINA Information

Why can't I pick up your station on 30A? I need more conservative true patriot americans voices in my car.

16. Excalibur

Excalibur Guest

You can pick us up in most places on 30A right now, and we are DOUBLING our FCC Licensed Broadcast Power in the very near Future. This will give us crystal clear coverage all of the way up and down the coast and 25 miles out to sea.

You can also listen to the Live Webstream at www.wgtx.com

17. FoX

FoX Beach Fanatic

Wasn't it Seaside Radio that spammed the board during the last hurricane? :razz:

That's a mighty harsh lineup of programming you got there wgtx - lookin' to scare some people outta their shoes so they'll be to scared to leave the house and keep tuning in?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  18. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

EZ4144, you know you can volunteer to DJ at the 30-A radio station?

19. Moondance

Moondance Beach Fanatic

You GO boyyy! I bet Sweet Al would love to have The Earl on his show. Maybe it could start with an interview of The Earl? He could expose the flaws in our thinking and the error of our ways. How about a debate featuring The Earl and Comm. Meadows?

Excellent programming idea...:clap_1:

20. Excalibur

Excalibur Guest

The Talk Programming is for just Certain Day Times. Right Now Till 9:00pm we play Rock n' Roll Oldies............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.