• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
@ShallowsNole it's just a fact that most people don't trust politicians and I think republicans trust republicans below zero because they know how ridiculous their party has become even though they deny it publicly, they know their own kind and their hero is the most historic liar in all of history.

As for the BCC, the matter has been passed on to law enforcement but all that will come of it is a customary uselss slap on the wrist and a promise to do better from the good ole boys.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
It's Walton County. Did y'all really expect anything different? Did you vote? And if so did you find out about what they stand for (beyond their campaign statements. not exactly inspiring but at least they are willing to serve). Anyway...

Sure it's easy to make mistakes on expense reports etc. I don't care as long as it's corrected and better rules are put in place. But it's how they respond to it that tells us everything. Not impressed.

I think there are at least one or two decent people on the BCC who will promptly admit an honest mistake and fix it. I appreciate that. And then some protest a little too much and become defensive, sanctimonious and unprofessional. Drama. Quite unproductive. Just deal with it and fix it. You serve the public. Act like it.

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Danny doesn't drink. He is possibly the only one who doesn't, but he definitely doesn't.

The whole thing is gross and Danny lost my trust when him and the other commissioners didn't take responsibility for their actions.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
The whole thing is gross and Danny lost my trust when him and the other commissioners didn't take responsibility for their actions.
I'm still waiting to see which actions were proved and which ones were not. Knowing these guys, I don't believe there was intentional wrongdoing. Possibly sloppy bookkeeping but they and their assistants can work on that. However, the audit was not conducted up to generally accepted standards...and had the Clerk's team asked questions, a lot of it could have been cleared up. But of course...

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I'm still waiting to see which actions were proved and which ones were not. Knowing these guys, I don't believe there was intentional wrongdoing. Possibly sloppy bookkeeping but they and their assistants can work on that. However, the audit was not conducted up to generally accepted standards...and had the Clerk's team asked questions, a lot of it could have been cleared up. But of course...

His "response" is available online and while I appreciate that it wasn't blatant theft I still take issue with some of the expenses. Especially considering the never ending campaigning about saving tax payers money. BTW, prior to doing all of this research it appears Danny was using a blanket excuse letter instead of just providing receipts. It is nice to know Danny could always drive a school bus, his former assistant is quite the display of his work.

leeboy

Beach Lover
Aug 19, 2015
WTH - Scott Brannon is an "aide"?!!

The fraud examination documented unauthorized charges ranging from minor items like Commissioner Boots McCormick's $7.71 purchase at "Bootlegger's Bar and Liquor," to substantial purchases, such as Nick paying $7,085 for him and his aide, Scott Brannon, to attend the 2020 National Association of Counties Conference.

Nick's spending on the National Association of Counties Conference trip "was inconsistent when compared to other commissioners who attended," the internal auditor's report said. "One commissioner's rooms for himself and his aide was significantly more than the other attendees."

Two rooms booked by Nick rented for $683 per night each. The auditors presented a table with a comparison showing another commissioner's booking of $299 each per night. Nick also paid $811 on the same trip for a plane ride that was originally booked at $299.

"Changes were made to the original flight reservations incurring additional fees of $850. Preferred seating fees of $174.80 were also incurred," the auditors reported. "Justification for the fees in excess of other travelers was not provided, nor was a travel voucher submitted."

County travel policy dictates that a traveling official will find the most economical lodgings available. It also states that the traveler will be responsible for covering the cost of "preferred seating" options and that the county will only reimburse at the coach level flight rate.

Neither Nick nor McCormick have yet submitted documentation rebutting the internal auditor's findings to the clerk's office.

Glidewell, Anderson, McCormick and Nick were all identified in the internal auditor's report as having claimed reimbursement for exercising preferred seating options over the audited time period.

Nick also was found by auditors to have received reimbursement for $182 in charges incurred in December 2019 at the Hilton Sandestin in Miramar Beach. Policy states that in-county travel will not be paid for with taxpayer dollars unless justification for the expense is provided. Nick lives in Freeport.

"No documentation was provided to justify the necessity of the charge," the auditors' report said.

The clerk's office initiated its examination into possible misappropriation of funds in January, according to the report, when an unidentified source reported that commissioners McCormick and Glidewell were abusing their privileges as elected officials by using county vehicles for their personal uses and obtaining mileage payment for their personal vehicles.

The reporting person also accused McCormick and Glidewell of driving their county vehicles to the liquor store and using their county-issued credit card to purchase alcohol.

Auditors uncovered no findings specific to the original allegations, though at a commission meeting McCormick did admit to using his county purchasing card to buy beers with a meal.

Auditors also identified two charges for attending the 2019 Florida Association of Counties Legislative Conference, attributed to Nick, in which the flight times did not correspond with the conference dates.

They identified two charges for attending the 2020 Florida Association of Counties Legislative Conference in which Glidewell provided dates of stay that didn't match up to the dates when the conference was held.

The investigators identified two charges from Glidewell for airline baggage that were incurred by someone who was not a county employee.

A transaction for a hotel room was identified in which no itemized receipt was submitted, the report said. A memo Glidewell provided for support of the charge states that the room was canceled and that the charge would be refunded.

"As of March 2, 2022, a refund has not been received," auditors said.

Glidewell said at Tuesday's meeting that he turned over "290 pages of stuff."

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
He's been Trey's assistant since he was elected. Not sure if he still is.