• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Advance The Man

Beach Lover
May 19, 2005
Many CEO's and others on the Board will sell at a pre-determined number. The number of shares is also pre-determined. I stand by my comment that saying someone is 'insider selling' makes no sense. If Rummels doesn't sell any of his shares, do you think it makes Joe more money? The answer is no. He is the CEO, but can do whatever he wants with his shares, as long as he registers it with the SEC.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Rita said:
OR a signpost going nowhere?

Runaround Sue...I mean SHELLY!!! ;-) At least SHELLY has a one track mind!

beclareesq

Beach Comber
Dec 7, 2005
Let me throw out a challenge, in support of the much maligned Shelley, could someone who has no dog in the fight, or maybe just doesn't presently own real estate in South Walton County, please make the argument that the current asking prices are the "market".

pk305

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2005
Nashville & Seagrove
SHELLY said:
It's my graduate thesis. The title is still up in the air....but I've had to reject my first choice: "The Real Estate Boom: Investing in Dot-Condos at Enron-by-the Sea." :funn:

Thanks Shelly for your response.....Is it possible that the discussions/opinions, etc on this board are part of your research (thesis) paper?? An experiment of sorts perhaps? Again, very curions.....
Thanks!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
beclareesq said:
Let me throw out a challenge, in support of the much maligned Shelley, could someone who has no dog in the fight, or maybe just doesn't presently own real estate in South Walton County, please make the argument that the current asking prices are the "market".
"Market" price is the price which people are willing to pay at the current point in time. With the lack of sales recently, market prices are lower than asking price. You must look at sold price for recent sales.

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
We moved here recently and have not had the luxury of buying or owning land/houses earlier on. We got here about 2 years ago and when we were told prices of houses we almost had heart attacks and would say, " you want how much for THAT?????". Needless to say I could kick myself again and again and again...now we are tired of renting, have decided that we want to stay in Sowal and are buying a house. Probably paying too much but we are hoping that our investment will be a wise one. We are not expecting double digits appreciation per year but hope that prices on single family houses in Sowal will continue to slowly grow over the next 2-5 years.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
pk305 said:
Thanks Shelly for your response.....Is it possible that the discussions/opinions, etc on this board are part of your research (thesis) paper?? An experiment of sorts perhaps? Again, very curions.....
Thanks!

I had the same thought. So, if you post anything related to real estate or in response to Shelly (or anything else here), it could become a quotation (used in or out of context) in a thesis. There are ethical guidelines regarding academic research, and I'm not sure where this would fall.

Regarding online research, here's something interesting: There was research done in the UK to find the world's funniest joke. People all over the world submitted jokes online and then people would vote on the funniest joke online. Some of the jokes are very funny, resulting in a book that I believe is called Laughlab. The interesting thing is that humorist Dave Barry encouraged people from the US to influence the study outcomes. Here's what the researcher said (you can find the study results and jokes at http://www.laughlab.com):

"The American data proved to be somewhat strange. Dave Barry is a well known humourist whose columns are syndicated in many American newspapers. In January 2002 he kindly devoted an entire column to LaughLab. At the end of the column he urged readers to submit jokes that simply ended with the punch line: ?There's a weasel chomping on my privates.? Within just a few days we had received over 1500 ?weasel chomping? jokes."

Anyway, the point is we could take Dave Barry's lead and all respond to some of the strange real-estate threads comments with a similar non-sense phrase (we don't have to use Dave Barry's phrase, though that would be OK, too) rather than respond to real estate comments which are getting increasingly sarcastic and less useful (for Shelly, it could be a thesis avoidance strategy). Now that would make it fun to read about real estate again and would certainly be as useful!

Last edited:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
SHELLY said:
It does if you're familiar with the stock market. :cool:

There's a weasel chomping on RO's privates!