Items on the beach overnight

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by BeachSiO2, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

:clap: ...just how it is supposed to look, right?

SJ...I was not surprised at the reply I received...especially knowing now that maybe the right hand and the left hand are not completely working together. I still applaud the efforts being made and hope they get it in sync. I am really digging caroling's idea of "citizen's stickers"....just think how y'all (I can't do it in the summer) could stick it to those litterers!!!

2. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

That might have something to do with the 100F degree temps we've had lately. Today's heat index is 110F degrees, :yikes:and it feels every bit like it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  3. yboi_kma

yboi_kma Beach Lover

From what i hear the water temps are in the 90's? That is amazing!! That wouldnt cool anyone off IMO. Time to just stay inside and have a cold drink. Heat indexes are about the same for today also. Everyone please check on elderly and pets today. its just too hot for anyone to not have adequate A/C. A friend of mine emailed me and told me that she was in grocery store yesterday and over the speaker system, the store manager was asking who owned a Toyota 4 Runner. That they had left their pet inside the car. Now that would have ticked me to no end. I am pretty sure i would have went straight out and busted the window and got the animal out. Went to jail no doubt, but saved a pet. LOL!! You just cant fix stupid sometime huh?

4. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Lake temps are around 90F degrees, but the Gulf, near the shores of SoWal isn't quiet there.

5. greenroomsurfer

greenroomsurfer Beach Fanatic

View attachment 5942

View attachment 5943

View attachment 5944

Yesterday's heat sucked, no doubt about it. My wife and I were lucky enough to be doing some field work about 200 yards from Morrison springs. The water was a nice 75 Degs. Let's just say we had a nice lunch swim to cool things down.

6. Caroling

Caroling Beach Fanatic

I just sampled Eastern lake north in a canoe. We saw an otter swimming playfully about until a motorboating fisherman appeared or it saw us. I walked down to the outlet. Tent cities to east and to west, thick, all over the beach!!! The Gulf water felt delightfully cool. I'm surprised the heat didn't bother me today. Didn't even think about it. There is a nice breeze.

7. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Cool, an Otter! Never seen one of those - saw a 8' minimum snake back in there and that put the kibosh on my explorations!

8. grace

grace Beach Fanatic

Was it a copperhead??????????????

9. NoHall

NoHall hmmmm......can't remember

Check the "pygmy rattlesnake" thread for specs on copperheads!:D

8'? Sounds like the Son of the Serpent of Oyster Lake...:eek:

10. scooterbug44

We thought it was a water moccasin. For some reason we didn't stick around too long to closely examine it after realizing that "floating log/piling" was really a snake swimming! :yikes:

11. grace

grace Beach Fanatic

Definetly sounds like we've got another Oyster Lake serpent on our hands.:shock:

12. scooterbug44

I saw it a year or 2 ago, so it may have just migrated over there!

13. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

:wave: ..Hello, I'm BAAAACK!!! Just looked at the BMB webcam...so close to perfect!!! Can anyone tell what that one thing is close to the water's edge? Oh, I can also see a bit of a chair to the left, too...just in case they don't think I am watching. ;-)

14. Poodleone

Poodleone Beach Fanatic

Miss Kitty- in 27 days I will be there at BMB and, each time I pass the beach cam, will wave at you! We will be vigilant about not leaving our rental chairs out.

15. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

I knew I liked you... in addition to being a Texan, you love and protect sowal. :wave: Have the bestest time!!!
    You might kick any tents you see that are left up. :D

16. Caroling

Caroling Beach Fanatic

Here's an email I just sent to the TDC contact:
    tlouthain@beachesofsouthwalton.com

I'm interested in clean healthy beaches. I took video the first four days of tagging and removal in Zone 7. In my video on this page:
    http://www.wholeo.net/Trips/Travel/Florida/southWalton/removeOrLose/removeOrLose.htm

(Click one of the movie links),
    I show a kayak by a trash bag. Not tagged, not removed, not lost.

Now Sugar Dunes claims that they were told items were OK by a bag on private property, as long as they weren't touching the bag.
    A TDC driver confirms he picks up violations on public, but not private property.

I looked again at the rule here
    http://www.beachesofsouthwalton.com/viewpressrelease.asp?ID=370
    under Media Relations, 7/26/2007.

It says:

Articles that are stored adjacent to or underneath personal walkovers will not be removed unless there is TDC maintained trash receptacle at that location. Any personal items left near county walkovers or adjacent to any of the 400 trash receptacles maintained by the Beaches of South Walton Tourist Development Council (TDC) will be removed without being tagged.

At the moment I don't have the reference that said it, but I understand that items should be 10 feet away from a trash bag.

Since the rule as stated is not being enforced, that weakens the whole effort to educate the public. They are just getting more of the same treatment that has led to the current mess on the beach. The county says one thing and doesn't enforce it. I believe you should publish the rules as enforced, with no deviation.

17. Caroling

Caroling Beach Fanatic

The TDC answered, announcing "Remove it or Lose it" phase II.

"The county is now adopting a more stringent "Remove It or Lose It" program because residents and vendors are finding ways to circumvent the system.

Now any personal items left on the county?s public beach areas including the six regional beach accesses, including Inlet Beach, Santa Clara, Gulfview Heights, Ed Walline, Dune Allen and Miramar as well as Grayton Beach overnight will be removed without being tagged. Other items subject to removal without being tagged include:

- Items left near county walkovers or adjacent to any of the 400 trash receptacles maintained by the Beaches of South Walton Tourist Development Council (TDC) will be removed and discarded without being tagged (whether on public or private property).

- Vendor items left overnight will also be removed and discarded without being tagged."

18. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

:clap:

19. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

Interesting. Hope this is really happening. Down here at Ramsgate, it doesn't look that way yet.

At Ramsgate yesterday morning, there was more stuff than I've ever seen there, and more elaborate structures. One tent must have been 20x20. Not a tag in sight. Just a lot of early birds stumbling around with coffee to try to set up in the few remaining spaces.

And everyone's setting up just on the water's edge. It's not very pleasant to walk along the beach with them so close. But more important than that, they've crowded out all the shore birds. I haven't seen one since early spring. They were pretty tolerant of the people back when most people set up 20 to 30 feet back.

20. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

Interesting again...

I just got back from my daily beach trek.

It seems that some of the chair vendors are clued in to Phase 2. Every chair and tent from Beach Chairs 4 U was removed, folded, and stacked near a private walkover. Thank you, sir. :wave:

But the private tents, chairs, ice chests, and yes-garbage were all still in place.