• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Those pictures are amazing. All it needed was a old couch and a junkyard dog to complete the picture. People are lazy, that is the bottom line, they do not want to have to haul all of that stuff down everyday. Lazy, Lazy, Lazy.:bang:

In regards to having the beach cleaned up every night or morning. What about people who have gotten in trouble with the law. They could do community service by cleaning up the beach.

I'm not sure that I want prisoners, or people in trouble with the law, getting involved with removing items from the beach. I can see more trouble starting from the chair or tent owner getting heated with someone who doesn't need to get into more trouble.

Regarding laziness. I agree that some of it is attributed to laziness, but I think it is more due to people's unwillingness to change and their comfort. I've seen some people drive their trucks onto the beach to collect only their cooler and people, then leave all of the chairs, tents, crab nets, casting nets, waterguns, etc all in a big pile under the tent frame. These people actually have an easy means to pack it up and remove and replace it daily, but don't do it. Maybe you are right about them being lazy, but I believe there is something else happening in their minds. If these particular people are lazy, I would chunck them into the pile of "Extremely Lazy," not your average couch potato.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I think the TDC is removing the items once the Sherrif's Department or Code Enforcement tags it. It's my understanding that the TDC does not have the legal authority to enforce the laws so that is why beach patrol and code enforcement has to tag them.
I thought that might be an issue. So there is no way that someone on parole could be deputized to clean the beach. :lol: Do you think Code Enforcement could hire some seasonal help specifically for this purpose? Or, what if they contract out with a few people to collect everything, and in return, the people doing the work could keep and sell all that they collect every morning. :dunno: I see problems in that scenerio, too. Such as the collectors collecting only the good and sellable stuff.

The whole tagging thing might stand a chance of working IF 1) the manpower to enforce was great enough and 2) if the tags were unremovable.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Easy way to see if they collecting everything, or just the good stuff - look down the beach! If there is anything but sand..............

Separating the sellers from the collectors would also be a good idea to avoid a conflict of interest.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Easy way to see if they collecting everything, or just the good stuff - look down the beach! If there is anything but sand..............

Separating the sellers from the collectors would also be a good idea to avoid a conflict of interest.

So you mean the County would have to hire a supervisor, too? :funn: I want that job. TDC, are you listening? :D

Good idea on separating the sellers from the collectors. I'm thinking that the County would have to write new laws in order to sell the items, so I doubt that would be likely to happen anyway. I can see people writing their names on their stuff, then seeing them in a store and walking out the door with "their" items, not paying -- talk about upsetting tourists.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
So you mean the County would have to hire a supervisor, too? :funn: I want that job. TDC, are you listening? :D

Good idea on separating the sellers from the collectors. I'm thinking that the County would have to write new laws in order to sell the items, so I doubt that would be likely to happen anyway. I can see people writing their names on their stuff, then seeing them in a store and walking out the door with "their" items, not paying -- talk about upsetting tourists.

Now that's what I was waiting for... SJ as a County employee.:rotfl:

Would you really want the abuse from the public when they come outside and dog cuss you about taking their stuff? Even worse would be when it was a house that may not be a rental and then you would be taking something from someone who lives there. Tagging stuff is easy, getting it off the beach without getting shot is the trick.

I believe this might be the WORST job in County Government :dunno:

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Now that's what I was waiting for... SJ as a County employee.:rotfl:

Would you really want the abuse from the public when they come outside and dog cuss you about taking their stuff? Even worse would be when it was a house that may not be a rental and then you would be taking something from someone who lives there. Tagging stuff is easy, getting it off the beach without getting shot is the trick.

I believe this might be the WORST job in County Government :dunno:

"Talk to the hand, because I'm not listening." :rotfl::rotfl:

I would take that job right after running for the office of Walton County Commissioner. :lol:

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
"Talk to the hand, because I'm not listening." :rotfl::rotfl:

I would take that job right after running for the office of Walton County Commissioner. :lol:

That's what I thought :lol:. Let me know when you're running and I will run as your vice-commissioner.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006

seaside2

Beach Fanatic
Apr 2, 2007
All over the place
Lazy? Maybe.
Arrogant and self centered? Absolutely!!!!