• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
DON'T SQUISH 'EM! :yikes: You have to spray those little bat-turds! They have the same pheremone as killer bees--when one stings or is crushed, the others swarm. That's why you're usually stung by more than one at a time. (That, and their irritating ability to sting more than once.)
That explains why they, like Fire Ants, also sting simultaneously. :yikes: Maybe if you get stung by only one, they sting isn't so bad, but when 5-10 get you at the same time, that crap is something you will always remember. I thought the yellow jackets lost their stinger when they sting??? Am I thinking of another stinging insect? I seem to recall having to pull the stingers out, and even after the insect had flown away, the singer still had some muscle attached and would be pulsating the venom into my body. Why the heck are we talking about yellow jackets?

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
DON'T SQUISH 'EM! :yikes: You have to spray those little bat-turds! They have the same pheremone as killer bees--when one stings or is crushed, the others swarm. That's why you're usually stung by more than one at a time. (That, and their irritating ability to sting more than once.)

How many times can they sting? Remember when I squished one by sitting on it? :yikes: That was the worst sting of all! Hurt for weeks! You know, it took three cans of poison to kill that underground nest! Skeery!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Do not ever go to the bathroom in the middle of the night without turning on lights and checking under the toilet seat.

Wasps like to hang out there, wait for half asleep people to sit down, then sting people very close to the private place the jellyfish stung Darlene.

And I know this because it happened to me. :eek: I can't even describe how horrifying it is to be stung while going to the potty! I can laugh about it now.:lol:

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Do not ever go to the bathroom in the middle of the night without turning on lights and checking under the toilet seat.

Wasps like to hang out there, wait for half asleep people to sit down, then sting people very close to the private place the jellyfish stung Darlene.

And I know this because it happened to me. :eek: I can't even describe how horrifying it is to be stung while going to the potty! I can laugh about it now.:lol:

Ok...this is the best story...:yikes:

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
That explains why they, like Fire Ants, also sting simultaneously. :yikes: Maybe if you get stung by only one, they sting isn't so bad, but when 5-10 get you at the same time, that crap is something you will always remember. I thought the yellow jackets lost their stinger when they sting??? Am I thinking of another stinging insect? I seem to recall having to pull the stingers out, and even after the insect had flown away, the singer still had some muscle attached and would be pulsating the venom into my body.

It is a member of the wasp family; bees leave their stingers. I suppose they can leave it if they are injured as they sting, but they don't really work that way.

Why the heck are we talking about yellow jackets?

Go Jackets!

NoHall

May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA

Y'all need to watch your va-jay-jays!

NoHall

May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
I bet I'm thinking of Honey Bees.

Miss Know-It-All says: Honey bees will leave stingers, but usually only sting if you step on them. They are not at all aggressive. They're the ones that people wear on their faces like beards. (I only know this because a friend of mine had an infestation in her house while she was away and I ended up having to investigate it for her.)

grace

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2007
here & now
are we talking yellow jacket sting?

or worse?

and what are we supposed to do to our kids when they get stung? I heard Peeing on them in public is not encouraged anymore... that there is something better.

any input appreciated.

Thanks
More of an itch than a sting in my experience. I scrub the area with wet sand while in the water to remove any nematocysts left on the skin.