• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

redfisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 11, 2005
Ah yes, I can truly see how the profanity and keen wit validate your arguments...my apologies

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
redfisher said:
And what's this business of "land grab", did someone break the law or act unethically...Is their a reason that your "down in the mouth" because they exercised their right to speculate? We loved them two years ago...Who are we to tell them their buzzed?...If it were to fall another 50% from here and the rentals dried up, I wonder how many of US might rethink how great the beaches are...

I realize we love it here, the kids have a great time, Christmas is lovely and Red Bar is awesome...blah, blah, blah...but check nostalgia at the door, its just a beach...
It is obvious to me that you don't live here, Redfisher. I may be unique in my reasons for living here, but I don't think so. I moved to the beach for reasons other than money, honey. I stay here today for the same reasons which encouraged me to move to one of the most beautiful places to which I have ever visited, and I have been to many beautiful places in this country. Prices could drop 50% and I would still take photographs of the Sunset to share with you. I would still notice the scent of the Pine forests and the Cypress swamps. In my canoe, I would still explore places seldom seen. I would continue to putz around in my kayak, riding the waves of the Gulf. When a Bald Eagle flies over my head, being shocked with awe, I would still continue to forget about everything else in the world. When paddling over a pod of Dolphins, my heart would still skip a beat. When I don my Birkenstocks to go to work, I will still laugh at all of the Suits back in the cities. When I see other life around me, I would still stop for a moment and show a little respect for being in the presence of another of God's beautiful creations, no matter how different the animal's appearance. When I throw the stick to my dogs, I would still smile with a big silly grin. When my friends come to visit, I would still feel so great that I live at the beach, and am able to open my doors to share a bit of paradise. When I bump into my next friend, the thought of money or the value of my real estate will not come to my mind.

I have found many treasures in this area, and none are tied to any form of currency. Treasures come in many forms, and a peaceful walk on a beautiful beach happens to be one of many treasures which I value. The beach is great, but it consists of maybe 4% of the reasons as to why I choose to call this area my home.

Last edited:

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
We came here four years ago because my husband had a great opportunity for a job. We came just before the real estate boom took off and we have, like all property owners in SoWal benefited financially in a way that we never could have imagined. But we didn't come for "big money," we just came for the opportunity, planning to stay just a year and then move on. In fact, my husband has completely changed careers by staying here.

However, the funniest thing happened. We LOVE it here. It is a great place to live and a great place for our kids to grow up.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
seagrovelover said:
wow SJ, I loved reading that.... :love:

yep...he gets all humble sometimes, but that SJ DOES have a way with the words...'cause they come from his heart!

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
Keep posting SJ. You are so true when you refer to things more important than currency. You have figured it out..maybe you can inspire others with tunnel vision.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Sueshore said:
yep...he gets all humble sometimes, but that SJ DOES have a way with the words...'cause they come from his heart!

His words are so inspiring and I knew when he read what you know who wrote, he would have something profound to say! Thank you SJ, for saying what I could not. I was just mad!

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Call me an old softie, but I hope Redfish reads that and allows it to touch him as it has us. I'd like Redfish to understand what it means to have that love for something that's "just" a beach. Would do him good.

Oh, that and a couple of crab cakes at the Red Bar, too. ;-)

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Mermaid said:
Call me an old softie, but I hope Redfish reads that and allows it to touch him as it has us. I'd like Redfish to understand what it means to have that love for something that's "just" a beach. Would do him good.

Oh, that and a couple of crab cakes at the Red Bar, too. ;-)

Ditto Mermaid!!!!!

Capricious

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
KISH7374 said:
And another thing. To some of us, wealth is not measured by material possessions. It is measured by family, friends and good times. The beach is surely one of the best times. Don't get me wrong, money is nice but at what price happiness. All the money in the world cannot buy happiness.

An easy statement to make, when
one "has money."

I see few in the line where austerity
is dispensed

I agree with most of Redfish
wrote.