• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Capricious said:
An easy statement to make, when
one "has money."

I see few in the line where austerity
is dispensed

I agree with most of Redfish
wrote.

:pissed: Don't get me started on this broadbrush stroke!

I SO wish I had SJ and others way with words because I very much want to respond clearly to this statement.

We are fortunate enough to "have money" but grew up without money, so have lived both lives (with and without). What we value in life has not changed and we work to keep it that way so our daughter can remain a well-grounded "real" person without the materialistic wants which we see in some other teens.

I will have to WORK on a response, because I so want to state my case, but the words aren't there right now - only the irritation at such generalities! :roll: Later

KISH7374

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
Rita said:
:pissed: Don't get me started on this broadbrush stroke!

I SO wish I had SJ and others way with words because I very much want to respond clearly to this statement.

We are fortunate enough to "have money" but grew up without money, so have lived both lives (with and without). What we value in life has not changed and we work to keep it that way so our daughter can remain a well-grounded "real" person without the materialistic wants which we see in some other teens.

I will have to WORK on a response, because I so want to state my case, but the words aren't there right now - only the irritation at such generalities! :roll: Later
Rita, take your time and get it the way you want it and then give him h@## :clap_1: :clap_1: :clap_1:

redfisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 11, 2005
Careful all including SJ (someone who i owe a great deal of thanks), one would characterize some of your statements as generalizing me...who knows where i might live, I might be homeless; who knows whether or not i'm happy, I might be at peace; who knows about my life experience, I might have been around...As stated previously, I knew the post would be unpopular...that doesn't mean it may not be true...Boy, I sure am hearing a lot about "the money that hasn't changed us"...and please, keep it clean and take it easy on Capricious...i'm the "blah, blah, blah" one you want...Red

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch
redfisher said:
Careful all including SJ (someone who i owe a great deal of thanks), one would characterize some of your statements as generalizing me...who knows where i might live, I might be homeless; who knows whether or not i'm happy, I might be at peace; who knows about my life experience, I might have been around...As stated previously, I knew the post would be unpopular...that doesn't mean it may not be true...Boy, I sure am hearing a lot about "the money that hasn't changed us"...and please, keep it clean and take it easy on Capricious...i'm the "blah, blah, blah" one you want...Red
Man, I wish I could find the yawning smiley.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
KISH7374 said:
Mermaid, sorry to disappoint you, but I am of the other gender.

KISH, we'd make you an honorary Queen but the pantyhose would kill ya. ;-)

Coming from the outside, and having similar experiences in two other places, I can see Redfisher's point of view, as well as understand anyone's devotion to SoWal.
I have been blown away by the cost of a house here. (We're still looking.)
I also have been blown away by the unpretentious people, the incredible wildlife and the beauty of the seashore.
Lastly, I adored all three of Whit Stillman's movies, including the third:The Last Days of Disco.

Sheila

SoWal Insider
redfisher said:

As you know nothing about those of us that were offended by your original post. Your truth, obviously doesn't apply across the board. So in the future perhaps you should follow your own advice. Careful, you are generalizing a group of folks that you really know nothing about. We all have one thing in common a deep love and respect for a beautiful gift.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
kurt said:
Let's not nitpick people out of expressing their opinions. Remember - everybody's got one and they often differ.

What is that old adage? "Opinions are like @ssholes, everybody has one."

Redfisher, and Cap, I know where you are coming from with your comments, but I think you may be talking about people other than the ones posting here. Perhaps there are quite lookers reading your posts that can more closely relate to your words. My only generalization about you guys is that it is obvious to me that you don't live here, unless you are one of the people to whom you refer. If you lived here and could experience the beauty, your thoughts may be much different. Most of my comments in this thread are about me, not other people, but I know many people who share my thoughts on this matter. Sure, I may sell my place for a million bucks, but I am not about to pack my bags and head to Atlanta. I am staying put for a while. :D I happen to enjoy life at the beach, and am willing to do whatever is necessary to continue to be here for a while. I guess I get a little defensive not because you strike an accurate key with me, but because I think by your comments, you have no clue as to who I am. I am just trying to straighten you out. No harm, but be careful about your generalizations.