• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I am not encouraging it, but I would laugh really hard if a truck, carrying a load of cow manure, broke down, blocking the entrance to The Retreat on Labor Day weekend.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Maybe property owners in The Retreat and the Inn at Blue Mtn should have to disclose that they own property in there before being served at any local businesses. I for one, will not be shipping via Fed Ex any more, unless this changes.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Maybe property owners in The Retreat and the Inn at Blue Mtn should have to disclose that they own property in there before being served at any local businesses. I for one, will not be shipping via Fed Ex any more, unless this changes.

???

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
My point is that if they want to run away the tourist dollar, they are also running away the locals whom work in the service industry for the tourists. I will not be selling any real estate in The Retreat or the Inn at Blue Mtn, especially when they are fighting against my livelihood and enjoyment of life. I mention Fed Ex because of the head honcho at Fed Ex owning in The Retreat -- public record.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
My point is that if they want to run away the tourist dollar, they are also running away the locals whom work in the service industry for the tourists. I will not be selling any real estate in The Retreat or the Inn at Blue Mtn, especially when they are fighting against my livelihood and enjoyment of life. I mention Fed Ex because of the head honcho at Fed Ex owning in The Retreat -- public record.

These type of people don't care at all.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
These type of people don't care at all.
You are right -- They won't care, until they cannot go out to eat, they cannot enjoy the beauty of the people whom interested them to the area in the first place, and when there is no one to pump fuel into their car or private jet, or gas up their yacht. Only then will they care, and they probably won't. They will probably find another place to vacation. Anyone who pays $9+ million in cash for a home, probably feels like they can piss in a golden pot. However, they are not willing to empty the pot's contents. I am not the one to do it for them.

Last edited:

pgurney

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
ATL & Seacrest
I've got real mixed feelings about this topic. On one hand, I hate that visitors are being hassled and arrested for innocently hanging out on the beach. On the other hand I feel for the homeowners who have chosen to purchase in a private neighborhood with a private beach with the thought of their beach (or their backyard) not getting as crowded in the future as it otherwise would if it were public. IMO, both sides deserve some thought here (and NO I'm not a gulf front owner). Maybe the happy medium is defining a location, say within 10 feet or so of the wet sand, to allow visitors and leaving the rest of the dry sand as the backyard of the homeowners.

Somehow, somebody will always feel screwed in this....either the visitors in being able to enjoy their vacation, the upland owners who want to enjoy the beach, or the gulf front owners who also are beach owners that payed good money for their location.

I'm looking forward to the SC decision on this and although I realize that each case in the continuing future will probably be considered individually, I hope it somehow turns out equitable for all, where all groups will need to give up something, but the greater good is served. <-----------hokey, but true.

greenroomsurfer

Beach Fanatic
Nov 24, 2006
Where Free Speech Is Allowed
BlueMtnBeachVagrant have you ever heard ot the northshore WOLFPACK? Research it because if you back a dog into a corner an it will bite. Have you had a resent rabies shot? By the way are you and BMB Walker Dating?

Last edited:

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
This was just sent out by the TDC. Take a look.

Public vs. Private Beach
Frequently Asked Questions

We were enjoying the beach when we were asked to move because we were on private property. Isn?t the beach public?
The county maintains six regional beach accesses with parking and restrooms that are available to the public. Many of the county?s beaches are private due to the way many of the area?s properties were originally deeded and beachgoers who set up tents and chairs in these areas may be asked to move.

Where can the public have beach set ups?
Visitors are welcome to have beach set ups at any of the area?s public beach accesses, including regional beach accesses with parking and restrooms include Miramar Beach, Dune Allen, Ed Walline, Gulfview Heights, Santa Clara and Inlet Beach. Parking is also available at Beach Highlands, Blue Mountain, Grayton Dunes, Van Ness Butler, Jr. and San Juan.

There is a beach access at the end of the street where our rental unit is located, can we have beach set ups there?
Most public beach accesses are nestled between private properties. Beachgoers should stay within the easement of the dune walkover to set up on the dry beach. Along Scenic 30A, beachgoers who wish have beach set ups outside of these areas must be on the wet sand.

In Western Walton County along Scenic Gulf Drive, a large scale beach restoration has created additional public beach. An erosion control line (ECL), a state-required line that was established by identifying the location of the mean high water line during the permitting process, serves as the delineating line between the lands owned by the upland owner (north of the line), and lands owned by the state of Florida (south of the line). Therefore, beach set ups are permitted 35-40 feet from the water?s edge on beaches west of Four Mile Village and along Scenic Gulf Drive.

Can the public walk along the beaches?
Yes, the public is welcome to walk the beach. Beach chair set ups and loitering on private property is illegal.