• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
That little stretch is so littered with beach umbrellas that no one wants to sit there. Most of the chairs are empty most of the day.

BMBV, I still don't see many people set up in front of your house. Have you been throwing sticky Gummy Bears at them?
Nope.

Amazing what wearing a thong and pressing yourself up against a sliding door will do!!:D

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Nope.

Amazing what wearing a thong and pressing yourself up against a sliding door will do!!:D

That would keep me away (or at least facing the other direction) ................. after I took a pic to post on sowal!

Amazing how often issues come up and the solution would be to simply enforce the EXISTING laws :roll:.

pgurney

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
ATL & Seacrest
Seems to me like with all the property taxes we pay, trash pick-up, whether on the street or on the beach, should be a given. And that would not depend on whether you live in a neighborhood with a private beach or not.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
First, beach service can be requested by private property owners. I don't see any relevance here with all the talk regarding beach service. Perhaps you could explain why this subject continues to pop up.

Second, as I've already said, someone else posted "...someone sitting on one patch of sand does not prevent someone else from using another nearby patch."

I just thought I would show that the beach can get a little crowded and that finding a "nearby patch" of sand could be difficult at times. What better than a photograph?

Does this clear things up?

No. Maybe I was not clear with the meaning of my post. My thoughts are this forum was about people getting arrested or ask to leave private property while at the beach.

Somewhere in the last 300 post, I seem to remember several remarks that this is an issue that the TDC and county need to look at.

I guess the point I was trying to make is showing private property packed to the gills really doesn't matter, however, if you had posted a public beach packed like that, it would be a great example of 1. The entire beach issue needs to be addressed, and 2. It would also help explain one reason why someone may go onto private property.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
A Montana cowboy was overseeing his herd in a remote
mountainous pasture when suddenly a brand-new BMW
advanced out of a dust cloud towards him. The driver,
a young man in a Brioni suit, Gucci shoes, Ray Ban
sunglasses and YSL tie, leans out the window and asks
the cowboy, "If I tell you exactly how many cows and calves you
have in your herd, will you give me a calf?"

The cowboy looks at the man, obviously a yuppie, then
looks at his peacefully grazing herd and calmly
answers, "Sure, Why not?"

The yuppie parks his car, whips out his Dell notebook
computer, connects it to his cingular RAZR V3 cell
phone, and surfs to a NASA page on the Internet, where
he calls up a GPS satellite navigation system to get
an exact fix on his location which he then feeds to
another NASA satellite that scans the area in an
ultra-high-resolution photo. The young man then opens
the digital photo in Adobe Photoshop and exports it to
an image processing facility in Hamburg, Germany. Within
seconds, he receives an email on his Palm Pilot that
the image has been processed and the data stored.

He then accesses a MS-SQL database through an ODBC
connected Excel spreadsheet with email on his
Blackberry and, after a few minutes, receives a
response. Finally, he prints out a full-color,
150-page report on his hi-tech, miniaturized HP
LaserJet printer and finally turns to the cowboy and
says, "You have exactly, 586 cows and calves."

"That's right. Well, I guess you can take one of my
calves," says the cowboy.

He watches the young man select one of the animals and
looks on amused as the young man stuffs it into the
trunk of his car.

Then the cowboy says to the young man, "Hey, if I can
tell you exactly what your business is, will you give
me back my calf?"

The young man thinks about it for a second and then
says, "Okay, why not?"

You're one of them Congressman from Washington D.C.",
says the cowboy.

"Wow! That's correct," says the yuppie, "but how did
you guess that?"

"No guessing required." answered the cowboy. "You
showed up here even though nobody called you; you want
to get paid for an answer I already knew, to a
question I never asked. You tried to show me how much
smarter than me you are; and you don't know a thing
about cows...this is a herd of sheep.

Now give me back my dog!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Second, as I've already said, someone else posted "...someone sitting on one patch of sand does not prevent someone else from using another nearby patch."

I just thought I would show that the beach can get a little crowded and that finding a "nearby patch" of sand could be difficult at times. What better than a photograph?
BMBV, you are going to love this ... NOT!
I just received a pm from someone who informs me that the BCC voted to approve all five requests for density increases at tonight's meeting.

raven

Banned
May 14, 2007
I would proudly be arrested for walking on the beach anywhere on the "Beaches of South Walton." Get it? The Beaches of South Walton. Do we need to change the name of the place?

Dave, "come and get me" Rauschkolb.

another local case of a brilliant use of "marketing" for the purposes of looking pretty instead of building business. the tdc went to GREAT LENGTHS to change the branding of the region to "the beaches of south walton" with an image of "the small, low-key southern beach" because they understood that was the side of bread the butter was on and that was their target niche. obviously they can't compete with orlando or miami, so value what you have going and work it. great. if that was in deed instead of word.

when it came time to produce "the beaches" concept sold, all that was left is a silly slogan.

it's like the developers who mow down rosemary to create "rosemary beach" or cypresses to build "cypress dunes" or are now blocking the view to the sea in "seaside".

profit oriented marketing means that you work hard to get them here once so they come back again and again. the opposite is happening here. it looks like a good idea to newcomers until one visit. even some oldtimers i know here stay based on the nostialgia of what once was, but when they look around they're hardpressed to feel good about very much of what it's become. well, tourists don't have that kind of personal attachment to a place. piss em off once and you'll never see them again. and they will NOT bother wasting their breathe telling you why.

so if that's the case why bother allotting a marketing budget to the TDC when it's a one-shot wonder?

the powers that be really believe the world is full of yankee suckers and maybe they can fool people once, but they will not be fooled twice.

Last edited:

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
I have always firmly believed the beaches are for all of us to enjoy. The edge of the bluff or the edge of the dunes should be the property line for beach front homeowners. Even this "mean high tide waterline" rule is ridiculous.

When you pay for beach front you are paying for the view and the risk of being washed away in a hurricane, you're not paying for the beach behind you. Trying to own the beach is like trying to own the sky.

I would proudly be arrested for walking on the beach anywhere on the "Beaches of South Walton." Get it? The Beaches of South Walton. Do we need to change the name of the place?

Dave, "come and get me" Rauschkolb.

OK Dave, you didn't actually "condemn" private beachfront property owners. But what I see in your (somewhat threatening) statement above, is that to prove your point, you believe it to be your duty to intentionally trespass on private property in order to incite the owner (by interfering with their right to quiet enjoyment of private property) into filing trespass charges against you. Maybe this is a little graphic, but I hope you understand my point.

Yes, technically you haven't condemned them. Perhaps you could come up with a more appropriate word that describes this posturing shown by you.

I consider you a person of standing in our community. I would only hope that you would show some reservation with such statements as you have made above (as Kurt suggested to all of us).

Your equaling of owning of the beach with owning of the sky confuses me at best.

Mango mentioned that some states do not allow public beaches (along the same lines as your "sky" analogy, I guess). Do you know how many do and how many don't? Is Florida one of a few or one of many?

And yes, I know, Dave said he isn't going to post anymore. But here it is anyway.

Last edited:

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
BMBV, you are going to love this ... NOT!
I just received a pm from someone who informs me that the BCC voted to approve all five requests for density increases at tonight's meeting.
At the risk of sounding like a psychiatrist, how do you feel about it?

Were any of these requests for property with beach accesses to "nowhere"?