• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
I am not a lawyer, but there are other States that have determined that past conveyances or grants of "sand" granted for private purposes violates the public trust doctrines.

I sincerely believe and hope that at some point, there will be a precedent setting case that will enable the Supreme Court to enact that "private sand" beaches that have been enjoyed historically in the past by, as you put it, us "commoners", can continue to do so without violation.

BTW, just curious, do gulf front owners pay real estate taxes on the deeded beach portion? if not, I would say that it's unconstitutional for the public to be denied access to the sand when taxes are not being personally made on by the owners of such.

Mango, I guess I should have added those other states to my option of moving to Costa Rica.:D

I am confused as the next person why there is such a disparity from state to state. But it will obviously take more than just telling Florida gulf front owners, "Hey, give up your rights because South Carolina (or whatever) does so".

Let me PLEASE clarify an important item here and now:
When I used the words "common person", I was referring to EACH AND EVERYONE OF US in as much as we all have equal rights...nothing more and nothing less. And that "popular opinion" should not infringe on the rights of the "common person" guaranteed under the Constitution.

Please do not misunderstand or interpret this as anything else.

Basically I agree with what you're saying. That is it will take a supreme court ruling to change the way gulf front property is now deeded ON A BLANKET basis. Walton County could presently take the Retreat to court and prove historic public access (however it is defined). If Walton County were successful, the Retreat's beachfront would become public. It hasn't happened yet. These things must run their course (if they run at all). In the meantime, the beach is private.

To answer your question about property tax, from my personal experience, there is no difference between gulf front and inland property. The fact that the sandy part of the beach is included in many gulf front deeds doesn't change how the owner is taxed (just more of course ;-) ).

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Is this the beach in question that is suppose to be private?

I was just curious, because it looks as if a majority of the umbrellas are from a service. I would think they would know if they can set up on private property or not. :dunno:

Good observation ktschris. I think you are right. It appears that these umbrella's are set up in clumps perhaps behind maybe condos and are used to service their guest. The tents look like they are set up mostly behind the chairs.

Exactly WHERE was this photo taken?

BTW - BMBV - If you are going to quote me, them please make sure it is MY quote. I did not make that statement. To answer your question, it is not my place to speculate what happens to this area in 10 years.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Look a little closer at the picture Yippie and you might get a clue about the problem. If everyone brought just a chair or a towel or a single beach umbrella, the beach would be one-fourth as crowded. But no, the standard now is to bring a tent that can cover a dozen people. If you look at the tents, most have empty chairs under them. A lot of the tent-pitchers set up at the crack of dawn, or even worse, they leave their tents up day-and-night all week. Many of the tent pitchers have additional chairs that they set up at water's edge. Two or four people now use the space of 15-20. The eroded and narrower beach only aggravates the problem. It begins to take on the look of a gypsy caravan that's settled into an oasis.

Perhaps a ban on tent pitching, or at least overnight tents, would help alleviate much of the congestion and bickering.

I have seen that as a problem for many years now. I have pointed out on numerous occasions, the Walton County Code of Ordinances which states that it is illegal for tents to be on the beach overnight. To try and add more laws, simply because the existing laws are not being enforced, is not the answer. Perhaps a better answer would be to have the Code Enforcement enforce the rules. :dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
From the TDC's website:

Blue Wave Certified
Beaches of South Walton represents the nation's best beaches with its miles of unspoiled shoreline and natural habitat. In March 2004, the destination demonstrated how it practices correct beach management techniques by hosting the first Sustainable Beaches Summit sponsored by the Clean Beaches Council (CBC). Beaches of South Walton inaugural event gathered beach professionals and coastal educators from federal agencies, state and local governments, academia and industry together to discuss the preservation of the nation's beaches and how to manage our natural resources. Beaches of South Walton was selected to host the event because of its innovative beach maintenance and nourishment programs to protect and preserve its natural resources.

In order to be Blue Wave certified, applicants must meet the program?s criteria for water quality, beach and intertidal conditions, services, habitat conservation, erosion management, public information and education. Beaches that meet these criteria receive the Blue Wave flag, which is prominently displayed beachside.

The Blue Wave Campaign is a "good housekeeping" stamp of approval for beaches. It helps the beach-going public identify well-managed beaches when planning vacations and also protects beach environments and public health.

Beaches of South Walton also holds the designation as the only destination in the country to have all 26 miles of coastline certified as "Blue Wave," an environmental seal of approval from the
Clean Beaches Council.

My question, who applied for the Blue Wave designation for the entire Gulf Coast of Walton County? All 26 miles of the beach was certified as Blue Wave. If the beaches are privately owned in many cases, it seems to me that the TDC had no business applying for the entire stretch of Walton County.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
The county has notified vendors of setups that it will start enforcing the ban against overnight stuff next week. Applies to private tents, also.

I'll take a shot at post #122. Tona-Rama means that this, " an open, notorious, continuous and uninterrupted use of the beach by the public,
in derogation of the upland p r o p r i e t o r s 'r i g h t s , for a period of twenty years, or for any period" has to be proved up on a case by case basis. The problem is then that each "case" will have to define it again and again for that particular beach, unless some other lawsuit results in a definition that applies everywhere. The fact is that it isn't clear to anybody what that phrase means, "open, notorious, continuous," etc. It's going to take a lawsuit to find out. Tona-Rama was not the definitive lawsuit.

At one time a few years ago the Walton Count Commission discussed adding a preamble to the beach ordinance asserting the public's right to use all the dry sand beaches in the county. In the discussion they wrote a preamble and agreed to defend it in court, all the way to the Supreme Court if necessary. Then there was an election and under the new commission the preamble disappeared. It seems from the TDC's FAQ's that this commission is not interested in solving this problem, which IMHO will only get worse.

All the deeds do not extend to the MHW. The deeds in Old Seagrove from around the Wheelhouse to Seaside do not extend to the water, except for a few that mysteriously do now. Some of the deeds in Blue Mountain don't extend to the water either. So it is even more complicated - if you want to know whether you are on a "public" beach or not you really need to see the deed.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
.....Exactly WHERE was this photo taken?

BTW - BMBV - If you are going to quote me, them please make sure it is MY quote. I did not make that statement. To answer your question, it is not my place to speculate what happens to this area in 10 years.

Photo taken looking west - picks up Bella Vita and Adagio.

You're right. Someone else said "...someone sitting on one patch of sand does not prevent someone else from using another nearby patch", not you. Honest mistake.

What you said:
"Fourth of July weekend is the buisest weekend of the year. There wasn't a beach in Florida that looked any different. Leave it to you to post that photo and expect ANYONE to believe it is like that all the time. If you can' take a few holiday weekends of the year, then you are living in the wrong place. Maybe a place that doesn't cater to tourism would be better for you."

Thanks.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
I have seen that as a problem for many years now. I have pointed out on numerous occasions, the Walton County Code of Ordinances which states that it is illegal for tents to be on the beach overnight. To try and add more laws, simply because the existing laws are not being enforced, is not the answer. Perhaps a better answer would be to have the Code Enforcement enforce the rules. :dunno:
Does this rule apply to owners on their private property?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
-trashcans, maintained by the tdc (tourist development council) are located at two entrances to "the retreat," as well as the inn at blue mountain, and white cliffs.

i wish someone from the tdc could tell me why we have public trashcans on private property. i am stuck on the one reason being that it must be used often by the public. i'm am very much in favor of trashcan availability, but if these:cuss: want to keep everyone out, i say let them pick up their own :cuss: garbage.

I was wondering the same thing. see attachment

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
The county has notified vendors of setups that it will start enforcing the ban against overnight stuff next week. Applies to private tents, also.

I'll take a shot at post #122. Tona-Rama means that this, " an open, notorious, continuous and uninterrupted use of the beach by the public,
in derogation of the upland p r o p r i e t o r s 'r i g h t s , for a period of twenty years, or for any period" has to be proved up on a case by case basis. The problem is then that each "case" will have to define it again and again for that particular beach, unless some other lawsuit results in a definition that applies everywhere. The fact is that it isn't clear to anybody what that phrase means, "open, notorious, continuous," etc. It's going to take a lawsuit to find out. Tona-Rama was not the definitive lawsuit.

At one time a few years ago the Walton Count Commission discussed adding a preamble to the beach ordinance asserting the public's right to use all the dry sand beaches in the county. In the discussion they wrote a preamble and agreed to defend it in court, all the way to the Supreme Court if necessary. Then there was an election and under the new commission the preamble disappeared. It seems from the TDC's FAQ's that this commission is not interested in solving this problem, which IMHO will only get worse.

All the deeds do not extend to the MHW. The deeds in Old Seagrove from around the Wheelhouse to Seaside do not extend to the water, except for a few that mysteriously do now. Some of the deeds in Blue Mountain don't extend to the water either. So it is even more complicated - if you want to know whether you are on a "public" beach or not you really need to see the deed.
Very interesting post. Thanks.

A couple of questions, do you think the elimination of the "preamble" was due to maybe advice from legal consultants that the commissioners would not be able to enforce it? I really have no idea.

Can you name or describe a property or two in Blue Mountain Beach that you say does not own up to the MHWL?