• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
I believe I understand that which you are saying, but let's say that the ECL is established, the sand is pumped, the beach is extended 50ft. A powerful set of storms blow in, and remove all of the sand back to the ECL, the line where the original private property was deeded to. Now, the original deeded private property no longer has State beaches in front of it, so wouldn't we be back to where we are now with the legal battles of the public not being able to sit on the dry sand beach, which is landward of the ECL?
SJ, I too have wrestled with this as one of the "cons" of beach renourishment. And yours is a most excellent question.

Let's assume the county gets past the Supreme Court "hurdle" and renourishment takes place.

It doesn't take a crystal ball to see your concerns.

After renourishment, the public will be able to use the beach south of this ECL line. Let's say life goes on for a few years without hurricanes or big storms. "Most" everyone is happy! Right?

Now, as you suggest, a storm wipes away most or all of the sand south of the ECL line. Now the public, who has paid significant amounts of money to come down to the beach on vacation or buyers of homes with their private accesses to "nowhere", ALL OF A SUDDEN find themselves not being able to get to many areas of the beach because there is no "public beach" left (south of the ECL).

Just like the debate that takes place on this thread, many will feel like they will still be "entitled" to the beach regardless of where the "ECL" line is. Gulf front private property owners will know and react otherwise.

Unless there is a mechanism in place to address this, all hell is going to break loose when this event happens (not if but when).

Of course the beach can get renourished again and again, but this takes a lot of time and a lot of money. So during the interim after a major storm, there will be confrontations that will dwarf anything we're seeing today because of the continued growth and increasing pressure on the beach as a resource.

A possible solution would be for the county to enter into a "short term" license agreement with property owners. With an investment of 40 to 60 million dollars, to keep tourism going, then not to have a COMPLETE "recovery plan" in place regarding the above issue would be disastrous.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
I believe I understand that which you are saying, but let's say that the ECL is established, the sand is pumped, the beach is extended 50ft. A powerful set of storms blow in, and remove all of the sand back to the ECL, the line where the original private property was deeded to. Now, the original deeded private property no longer has State beaches in front of it, so wouldn't we be back to where we are now with the legal battles of the public not being able to sit on the dry sand beach, which is landward of the ECL?

Yes, I believe so, but am waiting on conformation on that.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Good gravy!

Wanting the TDC to pay property owners so folks can use the beach! How selfish and moneygrubbing can one get. Why is sharing and showing a little common courtesy such a hard idea to grasp!

It's a beach in a major vacation destination that keeps advertising and building more and more units! You are not going to have a vacant stretch of sand completely at your disposal. People will come, crowding will occur (oddly enough increasing at the same rate that you build). Check out the French Riviera, Capri, the Amalfi Coast, Waikiki..........DESTIN.

In the event of a major storm wiping out most of the beach, most beach accesses will also be wiped out, causing a whole new set of issues.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
BMBV, I am not yet conversant enough with replies to posts, to use the "Quote with reply" feature of this site to point out the paragraph in your answer but I can assure you my position on public vs. private as far as beaches are concerned, will not change in the near future. You know where I live and I do not know where you are located, but it seems obvious it is close to a public access, possibly the one at Hwy 83. I understand your frustration with public use but it goes with the territory. It is obviously worse than when you and I bought. You don't sit and look at the beach 24 hours a day, however, so I can't understand someone else enjoying it while you're not. What does bug me is easements granted to non beach owners like Redfish Village. The Commissioners sure blew that one, in my opinion.
Andy, just click the Quote button from within the post that you want to "reply" to.

I really do understand your opinion and you have a full right to it. I'm not trying to poke holes it but rather illuminate the differences with your particular gulf front property location vs. others. Things certainly are not "equal" in this regard.

You're correct I don't live or stare at the beach all day long, neither do the people at the Retreat, neither do the people at the Inn at BMB, etc. But this should not enter in to the discussion here, in my opinion. I know you will disagree and that's OK. Regardless of my opinion on this and your opinion on this, the majority of gulf front owners will fight for their property rights. Trying to find solutions is what we should be debating.

Since you mentioned Redfish Village, if you feel like one should allow others to use their private property when its not being used, why didn't Redfish Village simply open up their private access to the public? They deeded a public easement ON the beach but there is no legal way to get to it without walking on wet sand.

What's even worse, is the county could "potentially" repeat the Redfish Village on the lot next door to RFV. How about potentially another 500 or more people poured into the same area? There really is no limit as long as they are "bussed" in so it seems.

I and my neighbors obviously have serious motivations to protect our properties regarding public access. The county won't.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
Not to muddy the water and get into the seawall debate, but what happens when a hurricane comes and takes ALL the sand up to a seawall (if it survives the storm?) Basically there will be water up to the wall and NO beach. I belive this is exactly what will happen in Seagrove from just west of Doodle Harris's house all the way to Seagrove Villas. Can we walk on the edge of the wall to get down the beach?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Yes, that is true but typically FEMA and the State step in to help restore the beach to the pre-storm condition.
If FEMA and the State step in to continuing renourishment, are new permits required, will the County have to add funding? That seems like it would be very, very costly. What happens during the time period between when the sand is washed back to sea, and the time when the sand is replaced? Couldn't that take years?

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
It's a beach in a major vacation destination that keeps advertising and building more and more units!
Exactly. And the TDC, which does the advertising and taxes the tourists to pay for it, is now directing those tourists to the six regional beach accesses while using other tourist tax dollars to maintain "public" beach accesses that lead to private beaches, and telling those same tourists that they may be asked to leave. :dunno: Even when they happen to be located within walking distance of one of the public accesses their taxes fund, now they have to fire up a car and add to the traffic to get to one of the regional beaches. Does anyone else think this is a little strange? :scratch:
I think the current TDC policy as indicated in their recent FAQ's will produce one of these: :trainwreck:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
OK, let me ask a simple question that I don't think has been answered. Duchess and others have said that the public can be anywhere on the beach as long as you are at the MHWM or south thereof. Duchess even said that the Sheriff's Deputy stated this. Where does the Sheriff's Deputy say the MHWM is?

There is no way to get the real MHWM without a survey, so what are they enforcing? I'll be there in a couple of weeks and would like to know.

Good question, and that is why I would be asking the person accusing me of trespassing, to show me the survey and corner markers, even though the prescriptive easement should outweigh that in a Court of Law.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Not to muddy the water and get into the seawall debate, but what happens when a hurricane comes and takes ALL the sand up to a seawall (if it survives the storm?) Basically there will be water up to the wall and NO beach. I belive this is exactly what will happen in Seagrove from just west of Doodle Harris's house all the way to Seagrove Villas. Can we walk on the edge of the wall to get down the beach?

The answer to your question is, in some cases where the seawalls were erected on the beach, rather than the owner's property, such as the case with some of the homes on Montgomery St, yes, you could walk along the wall since it is on public property.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Exactly. And the TDC, which does the advertising and taxes the tourists to pay for it, is now directing those tourists to the six regional beach accesses while using other tourist tax dollars to maintain "public" beach accesses that lead to private beaches, and telling those same tourists that they may be asked to leave. :dunno: Even when they happen to be located within walking distance of one of the public accesses their taxes fund, now they have to fire up a car and add to the traffic to get to one of the regional beaches. Does anyone else think this is a little strange? :scratch:
I think the current TDC policy as indicated in their recent FAQ's will produce one of these: :trainwreck:

I think its important to point out that these are not the TDC's policies. The TDC is a County department in which the County Commission sets the policies. The FAQ, as I read it, is what the Sherrif's Department is doing. Check with the TDC but I am pretty sure that they are not SETTING any of these policies just trying to get the word out so that they don't get complaints about not getting the word out. It seems to me like the messenger is being shot.

As for the regional accesses, it makes sense to me that the TDC would want to tell people where they could go without being impacted by the Sherrif's policy.

Last edited: