• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
If FEMA and the State step in to continuing renourishment, are new permits required, will the County have to add funding? That seems like it would be very, very costly. What happens during the time period between when the sand is washed back to sea, and the time when the sand is replaced? Couldn't that take years?

1. No, but probably modifications to existing permits since they are valid for 10 years.
2. yes, based on previous hurricane season's it would be 12.5% Walton County
3. Most restored beaches in Florida that were impacted in the 2004 hurricane season were restored by the start of the 2005 season.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
I believe I understand that which you are saying, but let's say that the ECL is established, the sand is pumped, the beach is extended 50ft. A powerful set of storms blow in, and remove all of the sand back to the ECL, the line where the original private property was deeded to. Now, the original deeded private property no longer has State beaches in front of it, so wouldn't we be back to where we are now with the legal battles of the public not being able to sit on the dry sand beach, which is landward of the ECL?

I have received confirmation. If the beach washes away, then the ECL would be the property line. If the ECL washes away, too, then the wet sand, dry sand rule would apply. Then, if the beach is to be renourished again, a new ECL line would have to be established.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
1. No, but probably modifications to existing permits since they are valid for 10 years.
2. yes, based on previous hurricane season's it would be 12.5% Walton County
3. Most restored beaches in Florida that were impacted in the 2004 hurricane season were restored by the start of the 2005 season.

Wow! I didn't know that they were replaced so quickly. How do they act so quickly on average? It seems to me that we take half a year to discover white sand deposits at sea.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
:lolabove:
If FEMA and the State step in to continuing renourishment, are new permits required, will the County have to add funding? That seems like it would be very, very costly. What happens during the time period between when the sand is washed back to sea, and the time when the sand is replaced? Couldn't that take years?

I don't believe FEMA has anything to do with the beach renourishment. I could be wrong, but I don't think they do.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

I don't believe FEMA has anything to do with the beach renourishment. I could be wrong, but I don't think they do.
I was just using BeachSiO2's quote of departments. I thought the same thing at first, but I could see how FEMA could step in to save the shoreline, which is the lifeblood of Florida's economy.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Wow! I didn't know that they were replaced so quickly. How do they act so quickly on average? It seems to me that we take half a year to discover white sand deposits at sea.

I am told the reason it took so long is our beaches have to be labeled as Critically Eroded. That is the hold up on Holiday Isle now. That was the hold up in Crystal Beach. (for the project to beginm turtles prevented us from finishing until about a month ago)

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006

Keep in mind this means that there are already valid permits. Typically, in existing projects some sand has been identified and those areas are usually enlarged if needed through a permit modification, or other sites are located. Based on County reports it appears that in Walton County, they have completed an analysis of all sand available and have found enough sand to restore the beach, which is why they have applied for new permits for 30A.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006

Fortunately, you are wrong. FEMA will pay 75% of the cost to restore an engineered beach and the state will pick up 1/2 of the remaining cost. A beach restoration project is a restored beach .

See FAQ under Implications

http://protectwaltoncountybeaches.com/phaseII_faq.asp

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
I am told the reason it took so long is our beaches have to be labeled as Critically Eroded. That is the hold up on Holiday Isle now. That was the hold up in Crystal Beach. (for the project to beginm turtles prevented us from finishing until about a month ago)

I think you are mixing the repair of an exisiting project which is what SJ was talking about, and the starting of a new project. As for the starting of a new project on 30A, check out the FAQ that was produced for the project. They have a lot of good information at:

http://protectwaltoncountybeaches.com/phaseII_faq.asp

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
...... I also think you have avoided certain issues such as why would one want to say there beach was "private". Are you concerned about your property values? Are you the lone Saviour for property rights? I have openly stated my reason of why I feel the beaches should and are public. I would like to hear the real reason BMBV benefits from a so called "private" beach. I have stated my benefits for the public to have full access. Please address the answer from a personal point of view. I am looking for why "you" want such thing as a "private beach". I am trying to understand the other side of this issue. Thanks in advance.

From the Walton Sun, Bobby J said.....

?Without beach access and open beaches I will not have a real estate business. I have used all these beaches for years and will continue to do so. The state constitution says all beaches below the mean high-water line, or the wet sand, are public.?
? Bobby Johnson,
Santa Rosa Beach

The simple economic law of supply and demand will cause the prices of homes to seek their own level based on circumstances. Simply drop the price, and the house will sell.