• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
To heck with permits to enter the beach! That is just silly. I am for free and open access of, and too, the beach.

i agree, i'm not using it as an example of 'who' can get on the beach, i'm using it as an example to raise funds for cleaning, maintenance, and possibly purchasing rights...

should have been a little more clear. it's just a different way another community does it.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Actually, there really isn't any such thing as renourishment if you think about it. You restore a beach, and then nourish it, and then nourish it again (if neccesary). It's like eating dinner. Do you eat dinner to renourish you body, or to nourish your body. Just because you do it every day doesn't change it's meaning.

First time= restoration
Second time= nourishment
Third time= nourishment, etc...
Makes since to me, but will you please explain that to all the people in the higher-ups, that we don't renourish something that hasn't been nourished in the first place?

Maybe we should be re-eating instead of eating. :dunno:

Anywho, it does make a difference when talking about FEMA funding a beach which has been restored then destroyed, rather than one which has not been restored.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
something to chew on. In Cape May, NJ the entire beach is public, and everyone who sets foot on the sand is required to have a 'beach tag' on their person, plainly visible. a lot of money is generated this way for daily cleaning, lifeguards, and renourishment(i believe). this system has worked for years.

http://www.capemaycity.com/announcements.htm#tags

I think they did the tags because they don't have the bed taxes etc. to fall back on. IMO we have plenty of money to maintain the beaches, the big issue is being able to USE them!

We used to have patches you sewed on your swimsuit for the city pool - my mother hated them as they were constantly getting lost and you had to pay full replacement fee.

It was a concern that enforcement would be too difficult to keep tents etc. off the beach, so I don't know how they could easily enforce this tag system here.

Good idea in that those using the beach directly pay for its upkeep, but I keep picturing a prize bull w/ a yellow plastic tag in its ear.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
i agree, i'm not using it as an example of 'who' can get on the beach, i'm using it as an example to raise funds for cleaning, maintenance, and possibly purchasing rights...

should have been a little more clear. it's just a different way another community does it.

Gotcha. We have the TDC, and tourists and short-term rentors, plus many respectful frequenters who clean the beaches here.

BeachSiO2, maybe DOG owns the beach. :dunno: Dog is my co-pilot... :funn:

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Makes since to me, but will you please explain that to all the people in the higher-ups, that we don't renourish something that hasn't been nourished in the first place?

Maybe we should be re-eating instead of eating. :dunno:

Anywho, it does make a difference when talking about FEMA funding a beach which has been restored then destroyed, rather than one which has not been restored.

And this is what I thought you were asking about- a restored beach, which is why I said that FEMA would probably participate. Thanks for jumping on the grammar bandwagon with me, but I didn't see the word "renourish" in anything I linked to, did you? If I ever get a chance to talk to higher ups, I will let them know. But then again, I heard you were running for County Commissioner.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
And this is what I thought you were asking about- a restored beach, which is why I said that FEMA would probably participate. Thanks for jumping on the grammar bandwagon with me, but I didn't see the word "renourish" in anything I linked to, did you? If I ever get a chance to talk to higher ups, I will let them know. But then again, I heard you were running for County Commissioner.
I don't recall you using the term, renourish, but I have, just following most people who discuss the issues. I don't like confusing the matter more, but we need to be speaking intelligently on the matter, because it does make a distinct difference when talking about restoration vs nourishment.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
I don't recall you using the term, renourish, but I have, just following most people who discuss the issues. I don't like confusing the matter more, but we need to be speaking intelligently on the matter, because it does make a distinct difference when talking about restoration vs nourishment.

I agree since FEMA only participates after restoration. Note that in the FAQ I linked to earlier there is a description and clarification under Implications that describes what I was trying to say in a better way. Here it is..

What is the difference between beach nourishment/renourishment/ restoration?
When a beach is initially restored through dredging and pumping sand onto the beach, it is called a beach restoration project. As the years progress the beach will be nourished (nourishment) with vegetation, sea oats, sand fencing, and most likely more sand. The term renourishment is not correct.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Going back to that earlier post from Jack S, maybe on another thread, is the so-called easement on the sandy dry beach in front of the public access, located between the Inn @ BMB and The Retreat, well defined with corner posts, so that we beach goers will all know exactly when we cross the "so-called" legal line? It seems that The Retreat thinks they know exactly where that line is located, and will have any trespassers arrested, even if sitting approximately on the line.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local

You're right on your last post that answered me. I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about the current project.

So, now, I am getting confused. Our beach has never been restored to my knowledge. Even after Opal. But, everyone is calling it a renourishment project, but it is not. I suppose it is a restore / nourish project???

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
I agree since FEMA only participates after restoration. Note that in the FAQ I linked to earlier there is a description and clarification under Implications that describes what I was trying to say in a better way. Here it is..

What is the difference between beach nourishment/renourishment/ restoration?
When a beach is initially restored through dredging and pumping sand onto the beach, it is called a beach restoration project. As the years progress the beach will be nourished (nourishment) with vegetation, sea oats, sand fencing, and most likely more sand. The term renourishment is not correct.

So we ARE killing two birds with one stone. After the sand was blown on the beach, people are coming back and planting sea oats and putting up sand fences. We are doing a restore / nourishment project together.

I am Soooooooo glad I am not a politician! I am sooooooo glad I don't work for the city or county. And I'll bet you are too!

Phew!