• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Knology has moved into SoWal and has an exclusive for Alys Beach & WaterSound North. They like exclusives. I don't know how their service is but competition should be a good thing. If you have a HOA then you can contact them about servicing your association.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Just for kicks, I called for an update. Andres ID - OV3, Altama Springs location.

New estimated date to have this problem fixed, JUNE 22, 2007. Then he tells me there are now TWO outages in my area. Asking him exactly what area this involves, when they changed the repair time, and when they added a second OUTAGE... He got ovewhelmed and wanted to "trouble shoot" Nope, currently on a 4 minute hold waiting to speak with supervisor.

I want nothing more to do on a Saturday morning I am going to send a copy of all these post to the Sun, The NW Florida Daily News and the Destin Log. Quite possibity the Tallahassee Newspaper and.... The First Lady, Mrs. Christ's staff. (Used first lady's staff many years and they were quite agressive in resolving an issue.)

Update to come....

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
MediaCON has finally wised up and decided to not tell you approx wait time when on hold, because they know that in the 28 minutes approx hold time, I can drive over to their office and open a can of .... They may be able to hang up on me and cut off my telephone connection while on the telephone, but they cannot duct tape my mouth while I'm in their office.

Yippie, that sounds par for the course from what I've always heard about Embarq (the company formerly known as Slow-Sprint.) I cannot wait until competition for high speed is opened up via the cell phone companies, because at least we will have the option of something other than the monopolies who control this crap.

I am still wondering if my "installation" to disconnect my TV will happen today.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
I have a question for the techie people. Just after Katrina when no one in the city had telephone service or internet access and therefore couldn't do business (couldn't run credit cards, etc.), the city set up an open access network in the CBD. It took them about two weeks to set it up, so it can't be too difficult. At the time, part of the recovery plan included expanding the wi-fi network to the whole city. I remember the mayor saying something about this being a great service for the city to provide because instead of $30-$40 per month, the city could provide the service for about $0.17 per home. He went on to talk about how internet access at home would put poor kids on a level playing field with kids who had access, benefits to tourism, etc. The signal was strong, the speed fast.

Then, suddenly, Bellsouth announced they were no longer willing to donate their big building downtown for the use of the police and first responders. They put the screws to the mayor. The open access wouldn't be expanded to all areas of the city after all. Once phone and cable service had been restored to our area, the signal strength dropped and it slowed considerably.

My question -- is it pretty inexpensive to set up a open access connection, and if so why don't the HOAs do this?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Punzy, good question. There has been a big push for open networks in the past, but the movement seems to have died. By having open access, everyone would benefit, except for the cable monopolies. They pay BIG $$$$$ to lobbyists to keep the politicians from creating an open access. If we were smart, we could form a group to create an open access, by having signal repeater towers scattered throughout all of SoWal, and anyone could have access anywhere they go. In the end, I think the cable companies and phone companies will lose all of thier business to the cell phone companies, as people begin to use their smart phones for their modems and they are able to take that modem anywhere they have cell reception. The cable companies are old school and will soon be thought of as much as Prodigy is thought of today -- almost never.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
I am STILL on the phone with these idiots. 1 hour 11 minutes later.... They had NO IDEA what is going on!!

This person ask me if the people who gave me information WORKS FOR EMBARQ!! I did give him names, and one is his boss! :funn:

Anyway, NOW they are sending a PC Tech to my house between 2:30-4:30 today. :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

What a MESS! I ask them if there was any problem with newspaper reporter being at the house when the tech arrives......

Thanks for the correction about Christ being single. I wonder, does anyone have any idea if there is a person acting in the same capacity of a "First Lady" or who would be fielding complaints that would normally go there?

ALSO, KURT, AND EVERYONE ELSE, DO YOU MIND IF I SHARE THIS THREAD? IF YOU DO, I PROMISE I WILL NOT SHARE IT. But, please let me know your thoughts.

Off the phone, 1 hour and 20 minutes later. Time for Tea.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Punzy, good question. There has been a big push for open networks in the past, but the movement seems to have died. By having open access, everyone would benefit, except for the cable monopolies. They pay BIG $$$$$ to lobbyists to keep the politicians from creating an open access. If we were smart, we could form a group to create an open access, by having signal repeater towers scattered throughout all of SoWal, and anyone could have access anywhere they go. In the end, I think the cable companies and phone companies will lose all of thier business to the cell phone companies, as people begin to use their smart phones for their modems and they are able to take that modem anywhere they have cell reception. The cable companies are old school and will soon be thought of as much as Prodigy is thought of today -- almost never.

The Sheriff's department here seems to have WIFI from their cars all over town. Do you think they are feeding off Satellite?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
The Sheriff's department here seems to have WIFI from their cars all over town. Do you think they are feeding off Satellite?
I don't know, but probably via cellular modems. Alltel's wireless access costs around $70 per month. I think there is an additional cost if you want to also use your smart phone as your modem for a computer network access.

Last edited:

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
I don't know, but probably via cellular modems. Alltel's wireless access costs around $70 per month. I think there is an additional cost if you want to also use your smart phone as your modem for a computer network access.

I wonder how the speed is on this issue.