• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

hi n dry

Beach Lover
Sep 12, 2005
I agree with Shelly regarding supply and demand.

When we first moved her over 10 years ago the most sought after prime property on 30A was either on the beach or in walking distance (within 1/4 mile) to a beach access. It is only in the ?bubble years? that land further from the beach was worth developing -or so developers thought.

Now we seem to be ?returning to the basics? for 30A property.

I am curious about the current supply of what was originally (in the good ole days) thought of as the prime 30A property.

Based on my ?long? experiences here with storms and insurance I would add other important criteria.

This ?prime property? would also have to be at least approximately 30 ft. above sea level and also qualify for Federal Flood insurance at the minimal cost of about $300.

And if considering a house it would have to built to 2001(or newer) Florida Building Code Compliance (needed for 34% insurance discount) with a hip roof (needed for 15 % insurance discount) and window door protection ( up to 20% insurance discount).

What is the 30A supply of property that meets this "updated good ole days? prime property definition?

redfisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 11, 2005
While everyone's blabbing their best supply and demand definition, did anyone notice that for the last 4 consecutive months that Single Family Sales in Walton County rose..........? Congrats to all the agents out there that are closin' em...Red

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Redfisher, according to my numbers that is not correct, but it is close. I will say that my data was compiled on April 01, and it is possible that numbers for Feb have changed slightly as agents may have entered the Feb closed sales very late.

According to the numbers I ran, in Feb, the sales dropped from Jan, but in Mar, the number more than doubled Feb's sales of Single Family Detached (homes), with Mar having 54 closings
My numbers show:
Dec '06 -- 32 closed
Jan '07 -- 37
Feb -- 26
Mar -- 54

However, Condo sales have increased over each month for the last four months with sales being:
Dec '06 - 14
Jan '07 - 30
Feb - 47
Mar - 121

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
Redfisher, according to my numbers that is not correct, but it is close. I will say that my data was compiled on April 01, and it is possible that numbers for Feb have changed slightly as agents may have entered the Feb closed sales very late.

According to the numbers I ran, in Feb, the sales dropped from Jan, but in Mar, the number more than doubled Feb's sales of Single Family Detached (homes), with Mar having 54 closings
My numbers show:
Dec '06 -- 32 closed
Jan '07 -- 37
Feb -- 26
Mar -- 54

However, Condo sales have increased over each month for the last four months with sales being:
Dec '06 - 14
Jan '07 - 30
Feb - 47
Mar - 121

SJ,
I believe Mar-121 was Aerial Dunes closing? Correct?

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
While everyone's blabbing their best supply and demand definition, did anyone notice that for the last 4 consecutive months that Single Family Sales in Walton County rose..........? Congrats to all the agents out there that are closin' em...Red

This is really great news but I will be real stoked when I see 4 months of sales dominating "new" inventory.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SJ,
I believe Mar-121 was Aerial Dunes closing? Correct?
Correct. They had a few sales in Feb, too, if I correctly recall, but yes, the majority of the closing were due to the completion of Aerial Dunes, not just an uptrend in the market.

redfisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 11, 2005
I don't know Joe, I'm not a r/e agent...I'm just looking at Metro Mkt #'s in Sat. Walton Sun...Looks like a rise for 4 months in total SFH's to me...But I'll take 3 out of 4 if your right...Red

P.S... I'm like Rutger, I really "admire" the naysayers too, I just think they're wrong...

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I don't know Joe, I'm just looking at Metro Mkt #'s in Sat. Walton Sun...Looks like a rise for 4 months in total SFH's to me...Red

Well that would answer question of difference in numbers. I haven't seen Market Trends numbers. I am using the reported sales in the Emerald Coast Association of Realtors database, which, by the way, doesn't account for ForSaleByOwners, unless a Realtor was involved in the transaction. I believe Market Trends use the sales recorded in the Clerk of Courts. Out of curiosity, what is the total number of sales shown for Feb in MMTrends? Or, are you just looking at the graph?

flyforfun

Beach Fanatic
Oct 20, 2006
Birmingham, Al
...then there is the "level-headed actual investor" (seller) who is smart enough to realize it may be good time to take their profits off the table and enjoy them or move on to something else.

/

Shelly, are you trying to get me to like you or something? :roll: Wow...a Shelly statement I can agree with! :clap_1:

flyforfun

Beach Fanatic
Oct 20, 2006
Birmingham, Al
I agree with Shelly regarding supply and demand.

When we first moved her over 10 years ago the most sought after prime property on 30A was either on the beach or in walking distance (within 1/4 mile) to a beach access. It is only in the ?bubble years? that land further from the beach was worth developing -or so developers thought.

Now we seem to be ?returning to the basics? for 30A property.

I am curious about the current supply of what was originally (in the good ole days) thought of as the prime 30A property.

Based on my ?long? experiences here with storms and insurance I would add other important criteria.

This ?prime property? would also have to be at least approximately 30 ft. above sea level and also qualify for Federal Flood insurance at the minimal cost of about $300.

And if considering a house it would have to built to 2001(or newer) Florida Building Code Compliance (needed for 34% insurance discount) with a hip roof (needed for 15 % insurance discount) and window door protection ( up to 20% insurance discount).

What is the 30A supply of property that meets this "updated good ole days? prime property definition?

You are missing one critical factor that new buyers need to be familiar with, and that is who constructed the home you are interested in purchasing. If your primary residence is out of state, you can't yell across the fence to ask who is best or worst in the construction business. Well myflorida.com has the answer.

You can type in Myflorida.com, or go directly to this link at https://www.myfloridalicense.com . Lots of ways to skate around the Walton County building codes and you need to find out who has a reputation of attempting to do it. Always check this site regardless if you are buying or building a home in Florida. If its a condo, find out as much as you can about the contractors and or developers. Being an informed consumer and using this site correctly will more than likely save yourself some headaches and money.