More Car Burglaries in SoWal

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by John G, Aug 31, 2017.

1. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

2. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

They shouldn't be allowed to own a gun. Not a responsible owner and now if that weapon is used in a commission of a crime they should be held account.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Patriot Games

Patriot Games Beach Lover

I'm glad you said it bob and I agree. My guns are always locked and secured properly. Unfortuneatly The sheriff himself, yes Mike left his doors unlocked at his house and they took the Sheriff's gun and badge because he left it unsecured. The DFS police dept recovered both in a traffic stop if I recall. It was all swept under the rug like when he accidently discharge his weapon towards citizens in pursuit of a fleeing criminal. (I'll go look that up too). You are right Bob, Mike should be held accountable.

4. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Absolutely, if true.

5. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

I totally agree Bob! Glad we have common ground!

6. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

I believe that was the guy that's head of the Sherlock Holmes group.

Wasn't he made head of the Citizens Posse just after that?

7. fletch7245

fletch7245 Beach Lover

Bob, I like you a lot and very much appreciate your support when I ran, but this really bothers me. Let's blame everyone but the perpetrator. So, if I leave my baseball bat at the ballfield or leave my tire iron beside the road after a flat and someone uses them to kill or maim someone, it is my fault. If the chef leaves his knife within reach of someone that grabs it and hurts or kill somebody, it is the chef's fault. If I leave my keys in my car and someone steals it and runs over somebody, it's my fault. This makes no sense to me. Let's blame the bad guy, not someone that made a mistake.

8. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

I believe the theif should also be held accountable Bill. But their also needs to be accountability for those who misplace, mishandle firearms especially when someone gets hurt. To be a responsible gunowner you must be responsible and leaving a gun in an unlocked car is pretty serious and doesn't show responsibility. Sorry we have to disagree.

9. fletch7245

fletch7245 Beach Lover

I too hate that we disagree, but hope you will acknowledge your logic should apply to clubs, knives and cars. I believe combined they kill many more people than stolen firearms from people's cars. Couldn't agree more on being a responsible gun owner and I felt terrible the one time I failed to lock my car with a gun inside. Take care.

10. Poppaj

Poppaj Beach Fanatic

According to your logic the four year old toddler who takes daddy's gun from the top of the night stand and shoots his little sister in the head is the one to blame.

11. fletch7245

fletch7245 Beach Lover

Pappaj, that is some brilliant logic you posit and I'm sure most everyone will agree with you. Who wouldn't blame a four year old if their parent was that irresponsible? That obviously equates to an adult stealing a firearm from a unlocked or locked home or vehicle and shooting someone. PS-What in the world are you smoking?

12. Poppaj

Poppaj Beach Fanatic

Funny, that's the same question many are asking after reading your post.

13. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

It actually appears that you and I may have common ground on the fact that negligent gun owners, leaving weapons unsecured, are idiots... What a wonderful world.

Here's the update as this plague continues...

Following a rash of burglaries over the weekend, nine more cars were burglarized overnight this past Tuesday in the area of Seagrove in Walton County. All cars were left unlocked. Two handguns were stolen. The burglaries took place on or in the area of Gulf Cove Court between 7pm Tuesday and 10am Wednesday morning. Walton County Sheriff’s Office has increased patrols and is actively investigating all cases. However, law enforcement needs the public’s cooperation in securing your vehicles. “These are crimes of opportunity,” said Sheriff Adkinson. “They are not going to take the risk of smashing a car window when they can find one that’s unlocked.” We encourage anyone with information to call the Walton County Sheriff’s Office at (850)-892-8111.

Here's my question: How many deputies are at work in this specific area during these time where the crimes are reported? How many are burning comp time or vacation time due to other assignments?

Did someone know that our staffing would be below normal during the weeks Prior to Labor Day and thus we have a new crime spree?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  14. FactorFiction

FactorFiction Beach Fanatic

Maybe the key here is that there are multiple levels of responsibility. For whatever reason, some people just can't seem to resist temptation, so I feel responsible to help them resist my stuff by hiding or removing tempting things from sight, locking my car, setting my alarm, and putting my car in the garage with the door down if I have that option. I feel even MORE responsible to help someone who has little self control resist getting hold of my firearm or any other weapon. Certainly people can make a mistake, but getting in the habit of helping people resist the temptation to help themselves to your stuff works pretty well. A little like auto-pilot.

15. Poppaj

Poppaj Beach Fanatic

Agree

16. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Poppaj

Poppaj Beach Fanatic

Best quote from the article.

18. UofL

UofL Beach Fanatic

Heading down there soon - I guess. Anyway, I have been cautious -not paranoid - for a long time. If we are out front, I make certain the back door is locked, and vice versa. I keep the doors locked when we are inside, because we might go upstairs or downstairs. We keep our car doors locked. Garage door down - especially since there are things in there - beer, tailgating, and beach supplies AND another entrance to our house. Years ago, I learned to carry a small purse or have one in my bigger bag AND never put it in the car to go somewhere. 'They' will break into your car, not just check to see if it is unlocked - especially if you are in a exercise area/trail. It happens everywhere. We just have to not help them. Guns. Guns are only good for one thing. Hurting someone or a animal. If I buy a knife, I'm buying it to slice an apple, cook with it. A big rock out front, for decorative purposes? My car? For getting from point A to point B. Painful when children are accidentally killed with a gun, whether by sibling/friend or drive by. Heartbreaking when used in domestic violence. NRA got what they wanted. Almost everyone is armed. Still not certain why they wanted everyone armed.
    Ellen
    Heading down soon. Vacation might not be what we had planned but that doesn't matter. After Harvey, you can only hope for minimal impact/damage.

19. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

20. John G

John G Beach Fanatic