• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
OM, Tupelo, Mama, you guys are nuts. I have had a little too many organic two carbon backboned with a hydroxyl group and obligatory extra hydrogen molecules to address you seriously tonight. Not to mention beignets and rich coffee. Have a good night, and may it be healthy:D

Indigo Jill

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2006
Point Washington
www.sowalscene.com
There is also a belief, amongst many different beliefs, that environmental toxins could play a role in the increase of autism we see are seeing in this country.

I thought the latest accused culprit on that was it was childhood immunizations that was supposidly causing that. Don't get me started.

It's like shark attacks - sharks are not more vicious and dangerous these days. When I hear people say this, I cringe. There are just statisically more people entering the water now, and better technology to broadcast the incidents!

Autism and diabetes (and my "baby" who is now 9 but was diagnosed at 6 has Type 1 diabetes) and cancer of all types and depression and PTSD and hypothyroidism and ... blah blah blah....These are human diseases, sicknesses and conditions that didn't just "appear" as a result of spraying for mosquitos or giving our children immunizations (I use these two to tie it back into this thread). Recorded history has documented these since ... well, since humans evolved to a place where they could document! It wasn't until recently (and truly, it was recently as in my lifetime and I'm not that old :roll: ) that we had the techonolgy to support the global communication between humans to collaboratively exchange information, put "labels" on all these things and find solutions for some of them - be it cures, maintenance medications, surgical techniques and the like.

Folks, be thankful we live in the day we do. We are finding the human body, as evolved presently, cannot support life past the age of 120 and the fact that there are so many living to that age (and even a few years beyond which are truly miracles) is astonishing, despite the accused "evils" of modern day society. We can always strive for being and doing things more "naturally" of course, but I think, from what I've heard from these incredible teachers who actually live that long, is that the true secret to longevity is being happy, loving life, laughing a lot and letting stuff roll off your back!

Last edited:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
I thought the latest accused culprit on that was it was childhood immunizations that was supposidly causing that. Don't get me started.

It's like shark attacks - sharks are not more vicious and dangerous these days. When I hear people say this, I cringe. There are just statisically more people entering the water now, and better technology to broadcast the incidents!

Autism and diabetes (and my "baby" who is now 9 but was diagnosed at 6 has Type 1 diabetes) and cancer of all types and depression and PTSD and hypothyroidism and ... blah blah blah....These are human diseases, sicknesses and conditions that didn't just "appear" as a result of spraying for mosquitos or giving our children immunizations (I use these two to tie it back into this thread). Recorded history has documented these since ... well, since humans evolved to a place where they could document! It wasn't until recently (and truly, it was recently as in my lifetime and I'm not that old :roll: ) that we had the techonolgy to support the global communication between humans to collaboratively exchange information, put "labels" on all these things and find solutions for some of them - be it cures, maintenance medications, surgical techniques and the like.

Folks, be thankful we live in the day we do. We are finding the human body, as evolved presently, cannot support life past the age of 120 and the fact that there are so many living to that age (and even a few years beyond which are truly miracles) is astonishing, despite the accused "evils" of modern day society. We can always strive for being and doing things more "naturally" of course, but I think, from what I've heard from these incredible teachers who actually live that long, is that the true secret to longevity is being happy, loving life, laughing a lot and letting stuff roll off your back!

IJ, the medical community has no idea what causes children to be on the spectrum. Immunizations, toxins, genetics, wiring of the brain at birth????
Of course awareness has increased of certain disorders, diseases, depression, shark attacks etc.

I am surprised to see that a yoga instructor who states loving life and laughter is the key to longevity doesn't understand that those things contribute to a healthier immune system.
Also, some people's bodies process environmental toxins better than others or practice better dietary lifestyles.

What I do know is that we (we being my neighbors and I) used Dursban before it was banned in New York, and 1 child at 2 was shortly diagnosed with leukemia, another grown man 4 houses down died of leukemia who also worked for a petroleum carting company.
That my PCP has told me that 1 in 4 patients who enter his office has cancer, and has done quite a bit of research after losing his entire family to it, and that he feels environmental toxins are playing a large role in this increase.
That I also have a friend and former colleague suffering from a rare form of cancer specifically caused by pesticides who doctors told should be dead already, but has been using homepathic "meds" to ease pain and it has quite possibly extended his life.

So while the naysayers may say this is all just coincidence, it certainly opened my eyes to the strong possibility that pesticides use and environmental toxins may be playing a large role.

Although as I stated earlier in this thread, if it isn't absolutely necessary to spray for dog flies, and other alternatives may be available, and the fact that no one can with any certainty prove that long term it is safe to humans and the environment, I remain in the camp of avoidance.

With all that being said, I had a conversation with my 99 year old grandfather this weekend about longevity and I told him I wasn't sure I was probably too vain to live that long and have wrinkles. He laughed and told me I really won't give a darn and can wear my clothes inside out all I want and wrinkled. :D

Last edited:

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
The whole point is that we'll all part of the spectrum. This thread is about pesticides. We've gone off on some wonderful tangets and I love debating with Skunky because I feel that his role is very important as an ER MD. As I stated before the fact that allopathic medicine saves lives, and Skunky plays a HUGE role in that.

I will say that if these d*** herbs and stuff aren't working, then why are drug researchers combing the Amazon for "new wonder drugs" before we lose the species through our own stupidity?:cool:

Back to mosquito control.... for all of us, especially those who are totally against spraying.... we are going to alienate the hell out of people with the all or nothing stance. Same goes for the spray the hell out of everything camp. We have to take baby steps to reduce the amount of pesticide spraying and talk logically with each other.

Heck, if we could reduce the spraying by 50% or 75% or 90%, wouldn't that be better than what we have now? If we all put our intelligent heads together, we'd find the answer. We can't do it alone and while b****ing at each other.

And, maybe along the way, we'll find that we can do without the spraying. But we can't find that out by demanding 100% that it all needs to stop now because no one's gonna work with us. They're just gonna to say, "Those naturalist/hippie FREAKS!"

I, personally, am willing to work with anyone on doing research to find viable answers that everyone can live with. Who's on board?

BTW, your "real" self will come out on this one. That goes for everyone. If you're not willing to work to find solutions with those that you don't totally harmonize with, you might need to check on your ego.:D

Mango, you, my friend; have been the true voice of reason throughout this whole thread. I feel that your points are valid and make an incredible amount of sense and that each camp needs to consider your powerful words. Thank you.:love:

Jill, I totally understand what you are doing. Nice!

Yes, I am totally for NO PESTICIDES, but I also live in the real world and know that CHANGE usually comes through the back door. May each of you have a beautiful day and let's pray for rain soon!

Last edited:

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
ITA with everything you have said!:clap_1: Skunky commented about my husband's illness as being "one of those...." But in reality, allopathic medicine treats the symptoms, not the causes of disease. As a symptom arises, a drug or procedure is prescribed. As another symptom arises, something else is prescribed. And so on.... Without the cause being known, it cannot be said that there has been a cure.

IJ, the medical community has no idea what causes children to be on the spectrum. Immunizations, toxins, genetics, wiring of the brain at birth????
Of course awareness has increased of certain disorders, diseases, depression, shark attacks etc.

I am surprised to see that a yoga instructor who states loving life and laughter is the key to longevity doesn't understand that those things contribute to a healthier immune system.
Also, some people's bodies process environmental toxins better than others or practice better dietary lifestyles.

What I do know is that we (we being my neighbors and I) used Dursban before it was banned in New York, and 1 child at 2 was shortly diagnosed with leukemia, another grown man 4 houses down died of leukemia who also worked for a petroleum carting company.
That my PCP has told me that 1 in 4 patients who enter his office has cancer, and has done quite a bit of research after losing his entire family to it, and that he feels environmental toxins are playing a large role in this increase.
That I also have a friend and former colleague suffering from a rare form of cancer specifically caused by pesticides who doctors told should be dead already, but has been using homepathic "meds" to ease pain and it has quite possibly extended his life.

So while the naysayers may say this is all just coincidence, it certainly opened my eyes to the strong possibility that pesticides use and environmental toxins may be playing a large role.

Although as I stated earlier in this thread, if it isn't absolutely necessary to spray for dog flies, and other alternatives may be available, and the fact that no one can with any certainty prove that long term it is safe to humans and the environment, I remain in the camp of avoidance.

With all that being said, I had a conversation with my 99 year old grandfather this weekend about longevity and I told him I wasn't sure I was probably too vain to live that long and have wrinkles. He laughed and told me I really won't give a darn and can wear my clothes inside out all I want and wrinkled. :D

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
I will say that if these d*** herbs and stuff aren't working, then why are drug researchers combing the Amazon for "new wonder drugs" before we lose the species through our own stupidity?:cool:

Back to mosquito control.... for all of us, especially those who are totally against spraying.... we are going to alienate the hell out of people with the all or nothing stance. Same goes for the spray the hell out of everything camp. We have to take baby steps to reduce the amount of pesticide spraying and talk logically with each other.

You make a lot of sense organicmama. :clap_1:

Would I live in Florida without pesticides? Heck no. If you want to see SoWal real estate values drop even farther, then by all means ban the bug man. :funn: (or woman)

But I am also convinced that the storage of pesticides in our bodies is contributing to some long term medical problems. I'd be shocked if cancer weren't one of them and would not be surprised to see autism on that list. Think of the things we're seeing more of: autism, asthma, lymphoma. Why is that? And you can't tell me that it's all because the diagnostic process has greatly improved.

This is a tangent but I am currently on Weight Watchers. I'm a nursing mom and have read that I shouldn't lose more than about a pound a week because as fat breaks up, the pesticides that have been stored in it it go through the body and into the breastmilk. :shock: TMI, probably, but very interesting. How can we, in this day and age of food recalls, not want to know more about where our food comes from and what is going into our bodies?

Just as medicine has made some amazing progress using targeted therapies (often using synthetic versions of crunched up beetles or tree bark or whatever :roll: ) pesticide use should absolutely be targeted. We do just fine here in Tampa without an airplane spraying cr*p all over us. It was a BIG controversy awhile back when they were spraying malathion for fruit flies. That was 8-10 years ago and the spraying did not last very long. I can't imagine why airplanes spraying for mosquitos is necessary, even with such a large amount of undeveloped land. It seems to me that $1.2 million on the plane could be better spent on some more employees and trucks to hand- or hose-spray where it is needed. It's the way it works in our county. Can anyone tell me why they don't do that instead?

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach

Heck, if we could reduce the spraying by 50% or 75% or 90%, wouldn't that be better than what we have now? If we all put our intelligent heads together, we'd find the answer. We can't do it alone and while b****ing at each other.

And, maybe along the way, we'll find that we can do without the spraying. But we can't find that out by demanding 100% that it all needs to stop now because no one's gonna work with us. They're just gonna to say, "Those naturalist/hippie FREAKS!"

I, personally, am willing to work with anyone on doing research to find viable answers that everyone can live with. Who's on board?

Mango, you, my friend; have been the true voice of reason throughout this whole thread. I feel that your points are valid and make an incredible amount of sense and that each camp needs to consider your powerful words. Thank you.:love:

Well thanks Organic Mama.
Not sure if I am the voice of reason or insanity :lol: , but count me on board.
I'll be looking further into the fly traps and report back asap.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
We now enjoy a relatively minuscule number of insect pests considering what they were, don?t knock what the Mosquito Control has already accomplished. We need to obtain a healthy balance. If the astute posters on this board have a better way, come together and bring it forward. We should be aiming for the same end result, to be able to live in South Walton safely. Extreme left wing groups also banned the pesticides used to control bedbugs, and now we have a problem. I don?t hear any of you not wanting to control them, or roaches, fleas, or any other pest. To single out one pest not to control is ridiculous.